Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laquests View Post
I recently came across a l959 Compton High School yearbook (the El Companile) and was shocked to see that of the 450 or so senior pictures about 63% were white, only 20% black and the rest Latino. I do not live in LA. but am interested in its history. I recently read "My Blue Heaven" a history of Southgate and also DJ Waldies "Hply Land" his memories of growing up in Lakewood. The way Los Angeles city and county developed is truly fascinating. Any body know when Compton became predominately Black and then Latino? Is there a good hisstory of the city? and how about a good history of the post war suburbanization of the whole region? Thanks, LAQUESTS.

You may want to go back before postwar. There's a reason the newest of the three high schools in
Compton was named Manuel Dominguez High. Don Manuel Dominguez was a Spanish land baron long before the city became heavily populated by Blacks. Dominguez High was still about 60% white in the late 60;s, maybe more. Blacks and Hispanics were bused to Dominguez from the West side of Compton to desegregate the schools after the Civil Rights Legislation. That was the beginning of the end of White residents in Compton. So much discourse between the diverse student population, which was a refection of the families of that day.
So, good luck with your research. Best place for info may be the libraries of the school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,342,744 times
I "jobbed" aquarium supplies in Compton and the north area toward LA called, loosely, "fluorescent community". One of my black speech team members lived there as well. I'm white, and also....Canadian. In the early seventies never had a problem. Serviced my racks at 3 a.m., when there was no traffic.

Ran manuf. of the racks along Slauson Ave. 24 hrs. Had a pay phone installed as people we always coming in to ask to borrow the phone. Hired locally. Never had a break in . It's NOT rocket science.

Like East Los Angeles today, where everyone is too busy going to their SECOND job, the bull crap and myths persist. That's not to say I'd be doing the same thing today, but celebrating hood culture doesn't show me the truth.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
An interesting look at Compton in the early 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPPJwPdTums

Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,351 times
I was born in Las Campanas hospital Compton in 1954 and was raised in a house on Laurel St. (3 blocks from downtown Compton). I went to grammar school at Our Lady of Victory on Palmer. There were so many great things about living in Compton and during the time that I lived there, Compton was pretty well integrated. I went to grammar school with whites, blacks and people of Hispanic decent as well well as Filipinos etc. We walked all over the city and Compton really didn't get "rough" until much, much later. I had a great many brothers and sisters as I was the last of 10 children, but their memories of growing up in Compton were quite different than mine. My older sisters tell stories of "covenant's" which restricted people from buying or selling property to black people. When I was really small we lived in a house on Spruce St. which was near Cressy Park on Rosecrans. We then moved to Laurel and lived in an old Craftsman style house that was built in 1918. I remember hearing about things like Tinytown, but one of my favorite things to do was to walk to downtown Compton with my mother and go shopping in the downtown area. Sometimes she would take my brother and myself to the old Pacific Electric which ran on Willowbrook to Long Beach. As a special treat sometimes we got doughnuts at the Compton City Bakery also on Willowbrook or we took trips to the library near city hall. We always walked past the Heritage House. My father came to Compton in 1929, lived through the Compton City earthquake went away to the Marines and came back and decided Compton would be a good place to raise a family. All of my brothers and sisters and myself went to OLV. Another special treat was to be able to go to Jerry's BBQ on Long Beach Blvd. My parents stayed in Compton until 1977 or 78 as the city bought their property to put in the Compton City Mall-I don't know if that ever happened. I have many great memories and friends and good times growing up in the city of Compton also known as the Hub city. It had it's own police dept. then and my mother told stories of quality schools in the city. It was a little bit scary after the Watts riots but until that time it was a nice place to live and even after that, we were still able to walk around.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:53 PM

Default name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
By 1990 all of the surrounding areas changed the name of Compton Blvd to Marine Avenue. I wonder why
Actually, Compton Blvd. was changed to Somerset Blvd. in Paramount because a developer did not want his work associated with Compton. That's how bad the rep was for that city.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
I grew up in Compton. Left in 1962 to go to Fresno, CA. Returned after high school in 1965. I attended Roosevelt Jr. High School, I do not remember any Black or Hispanic but then would probably have thought nothing about it. Compton High School was at that time starting to have Black students, or may have had longer (not sure). In 1961-62 Dominguez High was built and that's where my sister attended. In 1965-67 I drove from Compton West towards the industrial area of Gardena/Torrance everyday and never felt threatened or out of place. Las Companes Hospital was there in the late 50's as my grandmother worked there and it still had the little bungalows. My grandmother owned a small house on Reeves Street which was west of Willowbrook Avenue. I do not know the current ethic breakdown of Compton, but it has done some turn around that there are nice areas where really bad ones were.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,907,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
At that point, the red lining and block busting was probably happening closer to Watts, meanwhile, the areas closer to Long Beach, and the ones further West, were probably still mostly white.
The 710 Interstate was once the White-belt freeway until 1980 census (which means all cities passed through the 710 were majority White). The 110 freeway was the Black-belt. Look at these graphs from each census decade. Today, 710 freeway is 80% Hispanic running through it.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/in...topic=169073.0

Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
Good info

Old 02-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Default lynwood not compton

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Kevin Costner was born in Compton, CA and so was Vince Neil....just a few tidbits of info
Costner was born in Lynwood, California. Do the research.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:31 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,294,393 times
George H.W Bush and family lived in Compton for a short time period back in the late 1940s I believe it was. I once saw a picture of a very young George W. Bush riding a tricycle at the Bush family residence in Compton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles