Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

If 90% of your clients are in LA I would look at where the greatest concentration of them are. Since traffic is so terrible in LA that should be prime consideration. Then look for a place in reasonable distance from them. I'm 'guessing' you chose Santa Monica for this reason. If that is the case then its probably a fine location as long as you can afford the rent.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I know of a freelance fashion designer who lives with her parents in Pasadena, if that helps.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM

215 posts, read 490,916 times
Actually no matter what you have a budget. Even with an 8 figure trust fund or salary there are always levels of wealth above you in places like LA and NYC. There is always another level up you can go unless you are a high billionaire.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Guys, lay off. I'm as cynical as the next person, but I'm willing to give a 22-year-old the benefit of the doubt of not being mature enough to have established a budget (I'm not being condescending, just stating the obvious - how many of us had a budget at 22?). But if OP actually wants help, she'd be well served to share at least some kind of an idea what she pays right now and how much she expects (wants?) to pay going forward and what kind of apartment she is interested in.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM

10 posts, read 14,197 times
Hi Alexis, if you are interested in West LA, take a look at Culver City, Palms and Mar Vista. These are safe (but not cheap) areas that tend to be pretty walkable. Affordable rentals can be found in these areas of westside, especially with roommates. They are also pretty close to Santa Monica (much more expensive) but would still be a commute if that is where your clients are.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,699 times
Places near santa monica is suitable for those who have less budget.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 PM

374 posts, read 721,651 times
"freelance"

Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM

115 posts, read 163,537 times
Lolz at no budget good luck unless you're parents are filthy rich.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis.short91 View Post
I am a freelance fashion designer. 90% of my clients are in LA. I am trying to save money by moving to LA or closer. Because, flying back and forth to CA from Illinois is alot. Sorry, I wasnt very detailed in my post.
You still absolutely have to have a budget or price in mind: no one can tell you where to live, what would be a good match for you or anything else without some idea as to what you are thinking. Are you planning on renting or buying? Are you looking for a 1 bedroom apartment or a place where you can entertain? You could be looking at $1000 a month or $5000, depending on what you want. Now, yes, Santa Monica is one area that comes to mind. It is walkable, a fun area if you are a single, which you sound like you are and it is very diverse. On the other end, there are places like So Pasadena that can be walkable, have a wonderful feeling and very popular, but also So Pasadena is pretty much family friendly, more than single friendly. Pasadena is another option. You really do have to have some idea though, before you start trying to decide what will work for you. If you were to talk to a realtor about renting or buying, he/she would need to know your budget.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Guys, lay off. I'm as cynical as the next person, but I'm willing to give a 22-year-old the benefit of the doubt of not being mature enough to have established a budget (I'm not being condescending, just stating the obvious - how many of us had a budget at 22?). But if OP actually wants help, she'd be well served to share at least some kind of an idea what she pays right now and how much she expects (wants?) to pay going forward and what kind of apartment she is interested in.
I would agree with you, except he has to have some idea what he wants or expects to pay? If he had simply said, how much should I plan on spending for say, a 1 bedroom apartment in a walkable neighborhood that would be one thing, but 22 or 100 he has to have some idea what they can afford. That is what most of us are saying, not that he or she (we don't know which) should have an exact budget, but a housing allowance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles