Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

There is something like this in korea town/wilshire center area , although I haven't been..

Blipsy Barcade - Wilshire Center - Los Angeles, CA

It sounds fun, it looks like it's a dive bar with classic arcade games...seems pretty popular from the yelp reviews.

Also there is supposed to be something similar in the NoHO arts district, i've gone by it several times and still under contruction..I think there were some holdups and lawsuit from a NYC chain with a similar concept that wants them to use a different name.

NoHo Barcade Seeks Alcohol License, Still Facing Trademark Lawsuit - North Hollywood-Toluca Lake, CA Patch

I think the right concept could work . The place in Koreatown seems to do well , I don't know if they have food though.

I used to really enjoy going to arcades when I was younger. I remember that UCLA actually had an arcade on campus. On (I think it was friday or sat) weekend nights they had a deal where you could play unlimited games all night for a relatively low price...I think it was under $10 .

I can see the reasons arcades arent around now with all the home gaming systems /pc games /iphone and ipad games,etc. The economics are different. But places like Dave+Busters seem to do well...I haven't heard of them closing locations at least..but they have a lot of other attractions, food, sports and booze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM

473 posts, read 849,131 times
Sounds like "1UP" here in Denver. 80s/90s games. 4 player pacman, pinball and ski-ball, and full bar. I go there with friends and have a blast. It's far cheaper than D&B, better (aka stronger) drinks, and a good vibe - second location is a bit if a dive but we all like it.

Would happily frequent one in L.A.

The 1Up - Arcade * Bar * Eats - 1925 Blake Street, Denver CO 80202

The 2UP | The 1UP

Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miagirl32 View Post
I know, I know...classic arcades are pretty much dead in LA. That's why I think hanging at one would be awesome . I'm not talking Dave and Busters - I'm thinking a chill neighborhood hangout. Relaxed vibe - tasty food. Would you go? Does your neighborhood need one of these? If so...which one?

Whether you think this is a great idea or an awful one, I would appreciate your thoughts . Thanks in advance!
Possibly; I just my get another case of Pac Man fever.

Pac-Man Fever (Original) - YouTube

Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're right. I remember the neighborhood kids begging us to drive them to 7-11 to play Street Fighter....the most advanced system any of the kids at home had was the first Nintendo, I think.
In the 80's I too played arcade games at 7-11. These days, of course, you can't get anywhere near certain 7-11's without getting accosted by pushy homeless people.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 14,203 times
Thanks to all for your feedback. Your opinions are very much appreciated!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 AM

22 posts, read 26,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In the 80's I too played arcade games at 7-11. These days, of course, you can't get anywhere near certain 7-11's without getting accosted by pushy homeless people.
I never seen so many homeless in my life it's crazy everyone is begging for change now....even though I hated bush boy I wish he was president now

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times
I've been missing classic arcades for quite a while. I'd really like one but only if it had classic games like Defender, Tempest, Robotron, Missile Command, etc. Never got into many of the newer games like Street Fighter although Mortal Combat was fun for the Fatalities. In the early days, no home system could match the arcade versions in graphics but once parity was reached, the arcades were doomed. Home games still can't match the bespoke controllers of an arcade console but I guess that's not important to most people.

I don't know if amenities such as food and drink would be a plus for me. I recall hours of playing with dried out eyes, parched throats, cramped fingers and dangerously distended bladders -- maybe a catheter hook-up would be a good idea.

The last big arcade I patronized was the Pac-mann Arcade in Pasadena (now closed). Toward the end of its days, half was converted to an internet gaming section for stuff like Starcraft.

Is the OP thinking of a Chuck E. Cheese for adults?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM

604 posts, read 1,301,777 times
Still can here in town. But I don't. Can play all the classic video games online, hehe. And they don't run the air conditioner in the arcade, lol. It's freakin hot in there.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
In Brooklyn, NY there is a bar called Barcade with a ton of old arcade games. It's a great hipster bar. Lots of good beers on tap and cheap games (25c a play). I would think there is a market for this type of bar in every big city.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Yeah, I'm guessing they don't make a ton of $ on the games , but it brings in people for the drinks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles