Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 14,199 times

Advertisements

I know, I know...classic arcades are pretty much dead in LA. That's why I think hanging at one would be awesome . I'm not talking Dave and Busters - I'm thinking a chill neighborhood hangout. Relaxed vibe - tasty food. Would you go? Does your neighborhood need one of these? If so...which one?

Whether you think this is a great idea or an awful one, I would appreciate your thoughts . Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I can't think of any arcades in west LA.

-There use to be westworld in Marina Del Rey. Use to go there a lot in the 90's. I remember they had 5 or 6 Street Fighter II machines when that was one of the biggest games in the world.

I remember their T2 machine, that was a great arcade experience. They had one of the 4 player, maybe 6 player X Men games.

They also had Bad Dudes? Cadillacs and Dinosaurs? Some random 80's games, I think galaga and pacman.

-There was an arcade in westwood by UCLA. I think on weyburn Ave. Is it still there?

And then on the Santa Monica Pier, there's a few games. It seems like there's nothing with a specific 80's theme around here. I think the rents are too high around here for that though, lol.

I would go to an arcade now on a saturday.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 14,199 times
Thanks, John! The Santa Monica and Redondo Beach Piers both have pretty big arcades, but they are so run down, the experience is definitely lacking. Thanks again for your feedback ,

Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM

199 posts, read 400,464 times
I think technology has passed it by. Why would someone bother going to a place with a Street Fighter machine now and wasting quarters when they've got the newest version at home that they can play with friends sitting in the next seat over or 5000 miles away. Arcades were big when they were the cutting edge of gaming and offering something that the home-gaming systems couldn't. Now a PS3 or XBox does everything an arcade machine does but 100x better and in the comfort of your own home. I'm not saying your idea wouldn't work, but it would have to offer something unusual to get quality people coming in. Maybe put it in a hipster neighborhood since they always think what's old is better.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM

207 posts, read 508,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miagirl32 View Post
I know, I know...classic arcades are pretty much dead in LA. That's why I think hanging at one would be awesome . I'm not talking Dave and Busters - I'm thinking a chill neighborhood hangout. Relaxed vibe - tasty food. Would you go? Does your neighborhood need one of these? If so...which one?

Whether you think this is a great idea or an awful one, I would appreciate your thoughts . Thanks in advance!
Are you asking because you'd like to start up one yourself as a business venture? I believe they have something similar in downtown Las Vegas that is doing okay.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Maybe. Been a long time since I been to one. I wonder if there are any in the SF Valley. I know there's one at the Santa Monica Pier, when I went 13 years back.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Why would someone bother going to a place with a Street Fighter machine now and wasting quarters when they've got the newest version at home that they can play with friends sitting in the next seat over or 5000 miles away...
You're right. I remember the neighborhood kids begging us to drive them to 7-11 to play Street Fighter....the most advanced system any of the kids at home had was the first Nintendo, I think.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Maybe. Been a long time since I been to one. I wonder if there are any in the SF Valley. I know there's one at the Santa Monica Pier, when I went 13 years back.
I think the closest to that in SFV is at the mini golf course on Sepulveda near the 101. There's an Ultrazone in Sherman Oaks too.

To OP,

I think it might work as a bar/arcade/dance club if its properly located. You need a young base crowd, and I think it helps to also attract older people who grew up with arcades in the 80's. IMO the place in Vegas is very well located.

I'm thinking that Old Town Pasadena is a good location. I think this concept would work well in DTLA also.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,149 times
I think the idea of the arcade is fun, the problem is everyone who opens an arcade seems to adopt the old 80s/90s style pricing model of paying .25/.50/1.00 for each "play" of a game. Look, this is an oudated/relic type of pricing system and I think many arcades seem to ignore this fundamental fact. Especially since the price of all these machines is way less than they used to be, and comparable systems exist at the home level.

In my view, you are much better off stressing the "hangout" part, with some admission based system, or hourly charge system, with a good revenue model to generate food and beverage sales. In the era where people can buy games for a dollar, simply charging people a dollar to play an old game once, is just not really palatable. I think this is a major reason why these places just don't really exist any more.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,379 times
There's an arcade in Walnut, Super Arcade, that was known as the first place to have Street Fighter 4 in the US (before the console releases). I used to frequent there around that time. I don't go very often at all anymore, but it's more popular than ever now that it's become somewhat of a known fighting game hot spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles