Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM

15 posts, read 32,989 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband was just offered a job in downtown LA, and we are looking at moving there. Even though I have spent my whole life less than an hour away from downtown I have very little idea of where to move to!
Budget: $2000 per month excluding utilities.
Background: For the last 30 years we have lived in beach communities (ventura, hollywood beach, and malibu). I'm a stay at home mom with our 4 month old baby and 2 german shepherd mixes. We love to go on daily walks. I cloth diaper (I need somewhere to hang dry the diapers), and we try to buy local organic foods too!
Wants: A place that is within 20 minutes to Union Station. Close to public transportation for my husband. Allows dogs. Has washer and dryer hook-ups, Preferably has a yard (balcony will be ok), Minimum of 800 square feet (one bedroom is ok). An area that has a community family vibe and is safe. Feel free to give me a reality check if this is unattainable.
We have discussed places such as Culver City, Pasadena, University Hills (El Sereno), Echo Park, and Silverlake. Of those the only place I found in our budget was El Sereno.
Thank you for any advice you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:47 PM

23,606 posts, read 24,145,795 times
South Pasadena (91030) is a great neighborhood. It has a Gold Line Station (Mission Station) and is close to DT (of course, traffic will make the commute longer). Neighborhood is walkable, especially around the Gold Line Station.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:11 PM

15 posts, read 32,989 times
Any recommendations on where to look for housing in south pas besides craigslist?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM

23,606 posts, read 24,145,795 times
Try the RE websites: Trulia, Zillow, etc. Also, drive around the area.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM

418 posts, read 1,736,470 times
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say La Crescenta. People are always surprised to find out that it's only 15 minutes from downtown (LOVE the 2). Schools are good. Plenty of parks (CV Park, Deukmejian, Dunsmore) to take dogs. CV Park actually has an enclosed dog area, but it's cool if you want to take them around the main park too. Mostly houses instead of apartments. And downtown Montrose is cute, with shops and restaurants -- but you can also be in downtown, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, or Pasadena in 15 minutes if you want more.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 PM

38 posts, read 60,064 times
People who live in lacresenta are said to be unable to get into lacanada. Lots of Koreans moving to lacresenta who can't get into lacanada. Lots of white folks cashing out selling to the Koreans and moving down to south OC. It's all white flight.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,671,337 times
That doesn't surprise me in the least. I only go to Montrose to go to La Cabanita (definitely one of the best Mexican restaurants in the SGV) so I don't know the residential neighborhoods that well, but there were definitely a lot of Koreans on the CV swim team when I was in HS.

I would probably second South Pas over La Crescenta, but some of that definitely comes down to how much home you want to get for $2000. South Pas has the gold line and a very quaint walkable downtown area, but you won't get as much property.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,642,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonCommenter View Post
People who live in lacresenta are said to be unable to get into lacanada. Lots of Koreans moving to lacresenta who can't get into lacanada. Lots of white folks cashing out selling to the Koreans and moving down to south OC. It's all white flight.
So is there Jim Crow going on in La Canada-Flintridge?

There are still accusations of formal segregation being officially tolerated in certain areas in L.A. Rumors exist of official tolerance of discrimination in Pacific Palisades and occasionally Brentwood. I haven't heard of segregation going on in that area in post-civil rights times, but in the old days there was a lot of discrimination there.

La Crescenta, La Canada, and Montrose are places I'd recommend for someone with kids. Glendale also. Not Pasadena, however - PUSD is troubled, much like LAUSD.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:38 AM

104 posts, read 134,203 times
Looking forward to working in LA. Is it a good place to work? I'm currently living in Delano and job opportunities within the area are kinda low (especially technology jobs, graduate of electronics engineering). What areas in LA are good places to stay in? Where are tech companies located?

This may help.
- Renting but would be buying in the future (possibly rent to own if there are)
- suburban (though rural may be quieter)
- availability of public transportation (but can drive)
- absolutely a no-no to heavy traffic
- low cost of living than in other major cities
- recreational parks
- quiet

Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,671,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharken View Post
Looking forward to working in LA. Is it a good place to work? I'm currently living in Delano and job opportunities within the area are kinda low (especially technology jobs, graduate of electronics engineering). What areas in LA are good places to stay in? Where are tech companies located?

This may help.
- Renting but would be buying in the future (possibly rent to own if there are)
- suburban (though rural may be quieter)
- availability of public transportation (but can drive)
- absolutely a no-no to heavy traffic
- low cost of living than in other major cities
- recreational parks
- quiet
I've heard Montana is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles