Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times

Advertisements

It must be an adventure thing for some of the people from social democratic countries to want to come visit cowboy capitalist America.

OP what is the allure? That if you can make it here you can make it anywhere? I don't want to deter you but leaving OZ for LA would be almost like leaving LA for Tijuana. Almost. Stuff just adds up fast, the pay and lack of unions will make you laugh and the countless broken hearted people with shattered dreams roaming the streets will shock you. Like another poster said its culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
I think this gets forgotten...someone could move to middle-class Burbank, Pasadena, or Glendale, be next door to LA, goto LA on weekends if they'd like, and not really have to interact with "third-world LA".

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I think this gets forgotten...someone could move to middle-class Burbank, Pasadena, or Glendale, be next door to LA, goto LA on weekends if they'd like, and not really have to interact with "third-world LA".
That's kind if hard to do. The homeless are so prevalent here that they're practically a staple of LA life.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
They would only be seeing them in the visitor sense, not daily. It's true for almost any city, although LA does have a sharper rich/poor divide than most.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 PM

7 posts, read 10,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
It must be an adventure thing for some of the people from social democratic countries to want to come visit cowboy capitalist America.

OP what is the allure? That if you can make it here you can make it anywhere? I don't want to deter you but leaving OZ for LA would be almost like leaving LA for Tijuana. Almost. Stuff just adds up fast, the pay and lack of unions will make you laugh and the countless broken hearted people with shattered dreams roaming the streets will shock you. Like another poster said its culture shock.
I've been to LA on numerous occasions. My main reason is that I would like to study abroad and I have a lot of friends in LA that i would never get the chance to spend 2 years with and this would be a great opportunity. I have heard of all the stories that its a whole different experience from being in LA as a tourist and actually living there but its all an experience.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkillb View Post
As a native Los Angeles person who tried very hard to work in Sydney, I thought Sydney was a nicer, cleaner, smaller version of Los Angeles. I think it will be a nice culture shock to you. There is a music and arts scene, but you have to find it. And its not easy to find. Partying is totally different here as there are way more laws that are enforced when it comes to drinking. I know I was pleasantly surprised while in Sydney to learn that the bars didn't close until everyone was done drinking.

Just remember when people say its expensive to live here its because of the extras that are almost like necessities to live here. Such as a car. So once you get the car, the gas is expensive and you must have insurance. Its all the little things that add up.

You will enjoy your move here. And getting into a good 4 year college, like UCLA, from a Junior College is really easy.

All the real negatives you hear about you should enjoy first hand, as its part of the chew you up and spit you out thing that makes LA a place filled with a bunch of has beens, and yet a bunch of really interesting people.
Thanks for the post! One of the only really positive one's i have received

I actually thought the drinking laws in Australia were pretty strict until I came to the States. I cant believe in cities such as LA and New York that bars close so early! I guess it can be a good thing though too.

I have been to LA several times and even spent up to 6 weeks there trying to get a feel of what it would be like to live there. I really enjoy visiting and having a lot of friends there also make the transition a lot easier. My friends say that have a 'love-hate' relationship with LA but they would not want to live anywhere else. I find a lot of people from LA say the same thing.

Just a question, what other junior colleges in the Southern California area would you recommend as good schools?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Wow, from Australia to Santa Monica college? That is a long way to go to experience sunshine beaches and a vibrant major world city. But don't you guys have all that in OZ?

Sometimes I just don't get Northern Europeans and Aussies/New Zealanders always coming to America and giving up public services for the Wild West. Seriously, do the movies make LA look THAT good?
I get so many shocked reactions when people read that im planning to attend SMC from Australia! I've always wanted to study abroad and I though this would be a great way to spend time in a city I love visiting and also where I have many friends.

I've spent a bit of time in LA, also living with a friend who is from there so i could get somewhat of an aspect of the daily life. It definitely was a culture shock but inst that what life is all about? Trying new things and getting out of your comfort zone? I couldnt think of a better way than attend school in a whole new environment.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
I think you'll have a great time here. If you are from either Sydney or Melbourne, I think you will find the cost of pretty much everything is either comparable or significantly cheaper here, especially with the current strength of the Australian dollar.

Studying in a different country can also be a very effective way to transition to living there in the longer term - locally recognised qualification, contacts in the field, etc.

Try looking around Venice, Palms, or Mar Vista for more affordable rent options. There are some decent bars in Venice and Santa Monica, but the nightlife you are looking for is probably more over the West Hollywood, Los Feliz direction. Can be cheaper rent, but a much bigger commute. Also google "santa monica college Uloop" and it'll bring up a site that has listings from people looking for roommates in the SMC area.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
Btw, what will you be studying at SMC and to what or where do you hope to transition?

And I think that sometimes some Americans think of Australia (and New Zealand) in a way that is similar to how it has been suggested you see L.A. - unrealistically with rose-tinted glasses. There is a lot to love in both the US and Australia, but there's also quite a bit to be really concerned about in both countries. Every place is going to have its good points and bad points, and you need to work out what fits for you. And you are young, so it's much easier to try somewhere else if you find LA is not to your taste. It's all in the journey anyway.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
I think you'll have a great time here. If you are from either Sydney or Melbourne, I think you will find the cost of pretty much everything is either comparable or significantly cheaper here, especially with the current strength of the Australian dollar.

Studying in a different country can also be a very effective way to transition to living there in the longer term - locally recognised qualification, contacts in the field, etc.

Try looking around Venice, Palms, or Mar Vista for more affordable rent options. There are some decent bars in Venice and Santa Monica, but the nightlife you are looking for is probably more over the West Hollywood, Los Feliz direction. Can be cheaper rent, but a much bigger commute. Also google "santa monica college Uloop" and it'll bring up a site that has listings from people looking for roommates in the SMC area.
I am from Perth, which is on the west coast and its the most expensive city in Australia. Some coffee shops around my area have started charging $7 for a cup of coffee! It's getting beyond a joke. I have been to the US many times and do find that the costs of things, especially everyday needs are much lower.

Thanks for the information on places to live! I have heard that the Palms and Mar Vista are is affordable and nice neighborhoods. I'm not sure what ill be doing for transport so I don't want to live anywhere with a long commute. I am planning to get a car but would still rather be closer to Santa Monica than West Hollywood area. I also checked out the "santa monica college Uloop" and that has some good info on there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles