Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 AM

137 posts, read 454,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No, folks, it's not "all the same". In 2005 I rode the bus quite often at night from UCLA along Wilshire to just outside SM. In a 9 month period, riding the bus around 3 times a week, I never saw anything like this. It's only in certain areas you'll see this sort of behavior.
cause you went the wrong way. you need to ride east from UCLA. closer you get to downtown, the better stuff you will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:48 AM

507 posts, read 806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Unlike NYC, where the general population rides public transit. Most public transit riders in Los Angeles tend to more working class and below as the most Angelinos have this belief that ride public transit is for "poor people". And in some routes thru South(Central) LA, you have to deal with rude and unruly people. I took this video a few days ago of a woman who threatened a bus driver, and I'm guessing a tourist who got in a arguement with her.

Citizens Arrest attempt on Woman Threating Bus Driver on LA MTA 210 - YouTube
Is that you in those videos? you must get all the ladies

Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
So many people in this thread are petrified of human interaction
That kind of human interaction is scary though. I remember riding the 210 on crenshaw one night, and someone got killed over some gang nonsense. I was lucky I got off the bus earlier.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:58 AM

110 posts, read 165,708 times
This clearly doesn't apply to LA, but do the northern US cities have the same perrenial problem we have in the UK in the fall which is that as soon as the really cold weather kicks in, homeless people get on the bus and try causing just enough trouble (basically anti-social behaviour) to get themselves arrested because they need a warm bed and a meal, courtesy of the local police station?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 AM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Have lived in Southern California for many years, I believe that your statement about working class public transportation riders is correct. Most people in LA would prefer to drive a car given the choice. Here in the Bay, a lot of different classes ride public transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Unlike NYC, where the general population rides public transit. Most public transit riders in Los Angeles tend to more working class and below as the most Angelinos have this belief that ride public transit is for "poor people". And in some routes thru South(Central) LA, you have to deal with rude and unruly people. I took this video a few days ago of a woman who threatened a bus driver, and I'm guessing a tourist who got in a arguement with her.

Citizens Arrest attempt on Woman Threating Bus Driver on LA MTA 210 - YouTube

Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
It's not just the parking. Highways are absolutey jam-packed during the rush hours which makes the subway a million times more efficient for those with access. Also, if I remember correctly, only half of NY's population even HAS a car anyway.
I think it is half of the population in Manhattan does not own a car. Not all of NYC - it's still higher than every other US city.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
This is pretty interesting..it shows NYC car ownership by neighborhood.

New Yorkers and Cars | NYCEDC

Areas like Midtown, Financial District, and the areas around there the ownership is very low

16.32% - 25%

Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is pretty interesting..it shows NYC car ownership by neighborhood.

New Yorkers and Cars | NYCEDC

Areas like Midtown, Financial District, and the areas around there the ownership is very low

16.32% - 25%
Maybe I was wrong then, and the entire city is around 50%. Hard to tell from that graphic.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No, folks, it's not "all the same". In 2005 I rode the bus quite often at night from UCLA along Wilshire to just outside SM. In a 9 month period, riding the bus around 3 times a week, I never saw anything like this. It's only in certain areas you'll see this sort of behavior.
That would be Big Blus Bus #2, filled with tourists and UCLA students.

You need to get on the Metro to see anything interesting.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Thank you vocabulary cop.
You're welcome, vocabulary offender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles