Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 23,185 times

Advertisements

What is the commute like from West LA to Pasadena? I'm in Northern California now and am interviewing at a company in Pasadena next week. I have a lot of friends who live in the Westwood/Brentwood area, so I was planning on living there, but I'm not sure how much of a nightmare the commute will be. I'd be working normal business hours. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times
1. Search Button.
2. Map of Los Angeles.
3. Work where you live; live where you work.

You're facing the minimum of a 1.5 hour commute each WAY.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 23,185 times
Thank you, Jack. I have already searched this forum, but didn't find any clear responses for West LA to Pasadena (seems a lot of people want to do the reverse, which isn't the same). I have also mapped the route on google, so I am aware of the distance; however, as we all know the distance pretty much means nothing, it's all about the traffic. I was hoping to find someone familiar with that specific commute. It sounds like it will be bad; I will take that into consideration if I get an offer from this company.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:10 PM

78 posts, read 344,228 times
I don't do this commute, but you can check sigalert.com during rush hour and see which highways leading from Pasadena to West LA are congested after work. My husband works in downtown LA and it takes him 30-45 min to get home to West LA afterwork. We live in a part of West LA that is off the 10 freeway off Bundy. I work in Westwood, and the traffic is so bad on city streets coming out of Westwood, that it takes me 45 min to get home (5 miles away).

Although there is bad commuter traffic everywhere, the main freeway you want to avoid is the 405 freeway, especially the Sepulveda Pass portion, after work. It can be a parking lot if you hit it at the wrong time. Maybe when you come for you interview, you can time how long it takes you to get from Pasadena to Brentwood in after work traffic. Don't forget that street traffic in Westwood and Brentwood is very bad also after work.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 24,554 times
They'd have to pay me A LOT of money to do that commute! At least an hour if not more (I'd bet an hour and a half depending on where in West LA - how close are you to a freeway?) if you are traveling during rush hour. If you are "off" hours, then maybe not so bad (40 minutes?). I would really recommend against this unless you love spending time in your car

Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
Default West LA to Pasadena = 1.5 hours .... NOT !!

I think this commute is do-able if you need to. Hollywood to Pasadena took me 30 minutes almost every time I drove it and same for the reverse coming back. I found the ONLY way to go was 101 W for a couple miles to Universal City, then Lankershim and Cahuenga to 134 E direct to Pasadena. I think you can do this commute from more westerly parts of LA comfortably in one hour or a little over. Problem with this commute will be when you have those "LA moments" where for whatever reason it takes 2 hours instead of one hour(uuuuuuugghhhh arrrrghhhhh !)

Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
I have found that a good rule of thumb for communting in LA, during most times of the day, is to assume an average speed of 10-15 miles per hour on surface streets, and anywhere from 15-25 miles per hour on freeways, depending on the freeway and the area. In some areas it can be even slower.

For example, my commute from West LA to downtown is exactly 13.5 miles from my apartment to my parking garage. During normal commute times it takes anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour. That is an average speed of about 13 to 23 miles per hour. So call it 20 miles per hour on average.

Going to Google maps and getting directions from West LA to Pasadena gives me 24 miles. It says in traffic it can take up to an hour and a half. That is 16 miles per hour, which is within the range.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
The best rule of thumb for living in this traffic-choked city is to live as close as possible to where you work. Remember, you're doing that drive both ways, every single day, for five days a week! It's funny how so many people think, "Oh, an hour in traffic is doable; I'll be fine." Five years go by; their commute has now increased to 1:15 or even 1:30, and they're ready to tear their hair out. Seriously, live close to where you work. You'll thank yourself for it later!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
Think about this too. If you spend two hours per day commuting, and you work 240 days per year (260 working days, less 10 days of vacation and 10 holidays), you will spend 480 hours per year commuting, which is the equivalent of working an additional 60 days, or three months, per year, assuming your typical 8-hour workday. How does a 15-month work year sound to you? :-)

Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
Default Yikes, yah all clobbered me good !

Okay, okay, jeez, forget the hour each way commutes....but did you know some people with relatively high-paying white-collar jobs on the Eastern seaboard commute as much as 2 hours each way to work. Example: Connecticut to Manhattan !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles