Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times

Advertisements

I am white (darker hair, but don't really look Hispanic) and my wife is Asian and neither of us, in our entire time living here, have once ever encountered anyone who expected us to speak Spanish, or were snobby about us not speaking Spanish. In situations like certain Latin American restaurants or some Hispanic run businesses where there was little or almost no English language ability by the employees or owner, there didn't seem to be any expectation we would speak Spanish. Much like in any situation involving language differences, you get by and manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,152 times
Post Speaking Diferent or Diference of people Relations

Assurily !
I had been not listening to a spanish speaking person(s) within experience of areas those speaking would be and I had not understood but I had a experience for learning the relative speaking ...

Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
I find it ironic that she would think you were racist by not speaking spanish, when spanish is the language of the conquistadores from Europe (Spain), not the native language of Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, etc.
Most of the people from most Latin American countries (maybe Bolivia and Guatemala are exceptions) have Spanish ancestry too, but they are racially mixed. Anyway, Spanish is as much the native language of a mixed race descendant of Spaniards as it is to a fully descended one.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 PM

27 posts, read 49,780 times
No one's ever seemed outwardly annoyed that I can't speak Spanish. Though my boyfriend's mother reportedly knows English, but will only speak to me in Spanish, which might be a passive aggressive criticism. She's also really shy though so she might just feel as uncomfortable speaking English as I do trying to speaking Spanish.

When people speak to me in Spanish I've tried speaking back in the same language but my vocabulary is so limited and my pronunciation so bad that I've had just as much luck speaking in English. I look super white so speaking English meets strangers' expectations. Sort of a bummer I am so predictable!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedpast View Post
No one's ever seemed outwardly annoyed that I can't speak Spanish. Though my boyfriend's mother reportedly knows English, but will only speak to me in Spanish, which might be a passive aggressive criticism. She's also really shy though so she might just feel as uncomfortable speaking English as I do trying to speaking Spanish.

When people speak to me in Spanish I've tried speaking back in the same language but my vocabulary is so limited and my pronunciation so bad that I've had just as much luck speaking in English. I look super white so speaking English meets strangers' expectations. Sort of a bummer I am so predictable!
I am white, but that is about the extent of my "bi-lingual-ism" as well. It's so much easier to understand than to speak a different language!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
I have never heard of this happening. This is America. If your a native English speaker, speak english. Spanish speakers usually know enough english that you can communicate.

On the contrary, even though I can speak broken Spanish, I never even try to with spanish-speaking shopkeepers. I feel like its condescending, as if to say "You probably speak crap English, so don't even try. I'll speak your language instead."

Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM

7 posts, read 25,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
How often does this happen to regular folk?
When I went to the South Bay Galleria and the Del Amo Mall it happened several times to me.
I wouldn't have cared, but I don't speak Spanish!

It made my husband really angry though.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:10 PM

25 posts, read 52,889 times
I've never had this happen to me, although like others have said, maybe it's because I'm clearly not Latino/Spanish, so there's no expectations. On the other hand, I could see how a 3rd-4th-5th etc., gen Latino might get an attitude for speaking English and not Spanish.
I do wonder, though, how often the "complainant" in these sorts of scenarios is actually misreading the situation. There's no shortage of tension over the use of Spanish v English in Cal. so it wouldn't surprise me to see some projection in these cases.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM

27 posts, read 49,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
On the contrary, even though I can speak broken Spanish, I never even try to with spanish-speaking shopkeepers. I feel like its condescending, as if to say "You probably speak crap English, so don't even try. I'll speak your language instead."
I feel that way too!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Never.

But I have had Spanish speakers who, upon hearing my Tijuana accent, ask me to speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles