Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:30 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,325 times

Advertisements

Where are the areas that are hardest to sleep due to night noise? Basically I need to know where the loud industy stuff is to avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,103 times
This forum.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 PM

78 posts, read 344,114 times
Loudest residential area where noise might keep you from sleeping is probably near the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, due to all the dance clubs and events.

Industrial areas in LA are in industrial areas, so you would not be able to find housing in those areas, anyway, unless you are looking to live in a warehouse.

If you live next to train tracks, you will sometimes hear trains. If you live near an airport, sometimes a plane will fly over head. In recent years, they have built many walls on parts of freeways that border residential areas, so even living next to a freeways would not be very noisy. I have not seen any places that are as noisy as living next to the subway tracks in Queens, NY.

LA is very big. Is there a specific area you are asking about? What area are you planning to live in? I get the feeling this is a "guess what I'm thinking" type of question. The people on this messageboard can help you a lot more if you have a more specific question.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM

320 posts, read 1,732,775 times
don't forget the flight paths for LAX, John Wayne, Ontario and Burbank. though I don't think there any housing that close to Ontario

Old 11-02-2007, 01:58 PM

78 posts, read 344,114 times
Actually, living near John Wayne airport noise is a minimum. Because of noise abatement policies, planes take of quickly at an acute angle, then they cut some of the engines as they level out and cruise over the residential areas and once they are over the ocean, they are on their way. No airplane noise at all in Newport Beach or Corona del Mar.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:53 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,698 times
When you find addresses, check them on msn maps or google earth to locate proximity to frwys and major streets. If you are along a busy street, there will be traffic noise.

Lower income areas will have more % of loud stereos, cheap loud exhausts, carpools that honk in the morning.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,232 times
Default Sunset Strip = Noisy as heck 24/7

Stay away from Sunset Blvd if you don't like noise. Here's what dey got 24/7 = screaming ambulances and firetrucks, wailing police vehicles, low-flying helicopters (lots of 'em), homeless psycho's walking by moaning and crying loudly, big loud box trucks and rigs heading for the PCH, super-loud souped-up motorcycles, a zillion automobiles n stuff. Like most things in LA, you gotta go there and see it for yourself to believe it !

Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 PM

149 posts, read 458,165 times
From my experiences where I currently live and have lived the noho/burbank border can get pretty noisy. Hollywood way is 4 lanes of traffic and the planes at the Burbank airport will make you completely stop any conversation you are having and wait 10-15 seconds. It gets worse during the holidays.

Parts of Korea town get very loud with yelling/screaming, stupid 4cylinder cars with loud exhaust systems that sound like a giant ant fart, as well as sirens, helicopters, and regular traffic.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 PM

9 posts, read 30,659 times
downtown is pretty crazy too.. with the screaming homeless pple, pple filming late at night!!, helicopters, loud cars, buses, street parties!!!!! (yeah, those new year parties & music festivals --they never think abt the poor people living in those high-rise apartments..).. i'm so glad i moved away from that..

Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Stay away from Sunset Blvd if you don't like noise. Here's what dey got 24/7 = screaming ambulances and firetrucks, wailing police vehicles, low-flying helicopters (lots of 'em), homeless psycho's walking by moaning and crying loudly, big loud box trucks and rigs heading for the PCH, super-loud souped-up motorcycles, a zillion automobiles n stuff. Like most things in LA, you gotta go there and see it for yourself to believe it !
i live a block from sunset blvd, and methinks that you exaggerate more than a little bit. on a weeknight after rush hour, i can drive from the western edge of hollywood all the way to PCH in about 15 minutes and have to remind myself to slow down because i have the road pretty much to myself most of the way.

many of the residential streets off sunset in hollywood have turn restrictions from 11pm until 6am so that there isn't a lot of non-local traffic outside people's homes latenight/early morning. on weekends, the police set up mobile headquarters in the parking lot of a bank near sunset and fairfax, and patrol the goings-on all along sunset. although there is congestion from all the club-goers, there is no screaming, loud cars or motorcycles (cruising and street-racing are both illegal and the laws are enforced.), or even many police sirens. the ghetto birds hovering overhead is about a quarterly occurrence, not a weekly one. occasionally, someone drives down my street blasting their car stereo, or i hear a collision, but the loudest thing i hear from the street is the trash truck at 5 or 6 in the morning.

most of the loud places to live are loud because the neighbors are loud, not because of street noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles