Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:16 PM

231 posts, read 508,946 times

Advertisements

It seems like if a terrorist group or "enemy" nation wanted to make a big, symbolic hit, like they did in New York- I think LA would be right at the top of their list. But as the general consensus stands, there isn`t much point in worrying about it, cuz you can`t do anything about it. And if a person is REALLY worried about it, the only sensible thing to do would be to leave. But then again, you`ve got freaks shooting up rural schools in the middle of nowhere- Looking at the news these days, you really can`t rely on any place to be "safe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 02:18 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,917 times
Yeah death and destruction is everywhere. I'm more worried about Earthquakes and local gangs than terrorists. It's true I don't enjoy working 5 ft. from the Los Angeles Federal Building though... so it is in the back of my mind. I think the terrorist capabilities have been talked up for political reasons and not for their actual threat. We are more likely to be killed in a car crash, gang shooting, earthquake etc. than we are in a terrorist attack. LA is a big city, but it really shouldn't be the target of terrorists... there's not much here worth blowing up... it's a craphole.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpEngineer View Post
Do any of you worry a little bit (maybe in the back of your mind) about living in a major US city like Los Angeles because it is a likely target for a terrorist nuclear or dirty bomb attack (because of the large number of people who live there)?

I know it sounds like paranoia, but I think this is a potential future threat.
that sounds like something only someone working at a nuclear power plant would say anonymously on a blog board.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:26 AM

214 posts, read 872,096 times
you can't worry about terrorist attack if you do worry about that it means you let the terrorist beat you. you half to live your life and just enjoy it while it last.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
there's not much here worth blowing up... it's a craphole.
Des Demona, you need a healthy dose of Othello. Really, seriously, what is L. A. going to do with Jack Bauer in jail for DUI?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
I have a fear of terrorism like most people in Los Angeles. Our oil refineries are probably the biggest target a terrorist would love to hit.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
No.

I am scared of the gawdawful wreckless and stupid Mercedes drivers, though. Do they count as terrorists?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 AM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times
LA is too spread out. What are they going to bomb downtown? heh! There's nothing there!

They'd kill more people bombing the Santa Monica pier!

The good thing about LA and terrorism is that LA is spread out, and terrorism requires there to be a crowd. New York City is a much better target because of it's massive density. Also SF and Chicago come to mind.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:56 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
JackSparrow is right. LA is too spread out to be a viable target for terrorists. They wouldnt get much "bang" for their buck if you know what I mean. Earthquakes rank much higher on the fear chart than a terrorist attack.

They san a San Andreas quake could measure between an 8.0 to 9.0 and last as long as 6 - 12 minutes. Imagine that - a 6 minute quake. You'd get bored after the first 3 minutes.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:51 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,853 times
Terrorist can hit anywhere and any PLACE can be affected. Look at the plane that went down in a PA field, the 3rd 9/11 plane. Could have went down in YOUR back yard. No city is really safe. What happens will happen despite worrying about it. Earthquakes in Cali, Typhoons and Hurricanes in Florida and Louisiana, Tornados in the Midwest, heavy snowfalls in the East. Montana, now that might be a safe haven. Wow, I live in Montana... now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles