Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times

Advertisements

New Yorkers aren't rude?! That's a good one. I guess I just imagined the guy who told a European couple to "buy a ****ing map" when they asked where the South Street Seaport was. If anything, New Yorkers go out of their way to be rude, as if it's a birthright. It comes off as fake in its own weird way, and it's the worst aspect of the city.

I'll take insincere hospitality any day.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
There's more New Yorkers in LA than vice versa.

There must be a reason for that.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthetalk View Post
Some good points about the cultural differences between the two coasts.
Not really. But have a nice day.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:09 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
There's more New Yorkers in LA than vice versa.

There must be a reason for that.
They're also much louder in their opinions of Los Angeles.

As far as coastal differences - there is definitely a more laid-back attitude that can be found in Los Angeles and the West Coast in general, and it is usually concentrated in specific regions. However I feel like in other parts of LA (and San Francisco) you find more of that big-city mindset than other large East Coast cities. Los Angeles is so big and has so much urban diversity, you can find a wide array of lifestyles / outlooks.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
What if you're genuine with your smile and greetings? I mean that tough real "honest" schtick is cliche and annoying. There were so many times that I was under the impression that some New Yawkers were putting on an act with their over exaggerated accents and tough persona. I was thinking, "they can't really talk like that, some of it has to be an act for the tourists".
I lived in NYC, and I just didn't meet those NYers. I did meet a guy who acted like that in NYC once, and I found out he was visiting from New Jersey. In short, those people are around, but it's not the 'typical NYer' at all.

I associate them more with New Jersey myself. NYC is too cosmopolitan, too international. It's not that common to meet a born-and-raised NYers living and working in Manhattan. 99% of the people I knew while I lived in NYC for a few years, were almost always always from somewhere else, usually from another country.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I associate them more with New Jersey myself. NYC is too cosmopolitan, too international. It's not that common to meet a born-and-raised NYers living and working in Manhattan. 99% of the people I knew while I lived in NYC for a few years, were almost always always from somewhere else, usually from another country.
That's because the out of towners read about, and think its soooo cool to live in Manhattan, they'll do anything to pull it off. To include, spending the majority of their salary on rent, or stuffing waaaay to many grown up bodies in a small Manhattan apartment, or an apartment in general when they should be living on their own. Native NYers find this foolish and tend to live in other
boroughs

In short, to make this simple, most NYers if not all like myself that tend to move to LA, stay here in California and never go back. On the other hand, most Californians who move to NY, claim how they loved the place so much, after a few years, they tend to washout and move back home. I see it all the time, in real life or on these boards

Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
In short, to make this simple, most NYers if not all like myself that tend to move to LA, stay here in California and never go back. On the other hand, most Californians who move to NY, claim how they loved the place so much, after a few years, they tend to washout and move back home. I see it all the time, in real life or on these boards
Got it. So when you decide to move from NYC to California, it's because you beat NYC. When someone else whose parents didn't accidentally squirt them out in NYC does it, it's because they QUIT (!) or washed out.

I forget, is sanctimony a quality of a life long New Yorker or does one just gain that over time as they try desperately to justify why they still live in a place of their parents' choosing but one which they can't personally tolerate?

You, sir, are no stronger, tougher, smarter, or better than anyone else who moved to NYC by choice and then came to the realization that the quality of life might be better elsewhere despite the better amenities in NYC.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
i found the people in NYC to be really friendly. I was expecting it to be the opposite. I guess people think New Yorkers are rude because people from NY will tell you what's on their mind. They won't be phony. I had people come up and talk to me just about everywhere I went. Whether it was waiting in line at a hot dog stand or at a pub, I found New Yorkers to be really engaging.

That never happens in LA. In LA people are into themselves. If you talk to someone randomly in LA they give you a dirty look. Lets face it. People come to LA for the weather ,not the people. The people are horrible.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
i found the people in NYC to be really friendly. I was expecting it to be the opposite. I guess people think New Yorkers are rude because people from NY will tell you what's on their mind. They won't be phony. I had people come up and talk to me just about everywhere I went. Whether it was waiting in line at a hot dog stand or at a pub, I found New Yorkers to be really engaging.

That never happens in LA. In LA people are into themselves. If you talk to someone randomly in LA they give you a dirty look. Lets face it. People come to LA for the weather ,not the people. The people are horrible.
Right back at ya.

I've always said that the worst aspect of New York City is that it's filled with New Yorkers. Millions and millions of them!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Got it. So when you decide to move from NYC to California, it's because you beat NYC. When someone else whose parents didn't accidentally squirt them out in NYC does it, it's because they QUIT (!) or washed out.

I forget, is sanctimony a quality of a life long New Yorker or does one just gain that over time as they try desperately to justify why they still live in a place of their parents' choosing but one which they can't personally tolerate?

You, sir, are no stronger, tougher, smarter, or better than anyone else who moved to NYC by choice and then came to the realization that the quality of life might be better elsewhere despite the better amenities in NYC.
I can't speak for jacktravern, but I did not get your conclusion from his post. As someone who has resided in NYC for over 50 years, I, and my wife, both feel abused, brutalized, and beaten by this merciless city. As stated, any New Yorker with half a brain wouldn't waste their extremely hard earned money or time to be a pretentious Manhattanite.
If you are middle class or lower the game is severely stacked against you, especially under Mayor "Der Fuhrer" Bloomberg. He is, without a doubt, the rich, white manhattanite's mayor and couldn't give a s&*t about any of the other residents.
We have no qualms about saying that we have lost the war in NYC and desperately wish to move to LA so that we can at least enjoy all the affordable entertainment options, both indoors and outdoors, that we have never been able to even dream of experiencing in NYC.
We understand that LA is an expensive city to live in, that it has its shortcomings, and that nowhere is paradise nowadays. But, after numerous visits, we feel comfortable with the good vs. bad balance in LA, and see no reason to unnecessarily extend our suffering in the hellhole that NYC has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles