Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:52 PM

25 posts, read 56,179 times

Advertisements

Hi people!
I'm going to move to Los Angeles. After inspecting the area, I stopped at Westchester, as in my opinion, there is a good value for the house and neigborhood quality. You can buy a good house 700k-900k and the neighborhood looks lovely. I have the family: child and wife.
My second choise was Cheviot Hills, but there is more expensive houses, although the quality of the area is not much higher, than Westchester (imho).
I could be wrong, so I will be very grateful for your advice. Finally i'm looking for quiet lovely place for family. What are good and what are bad at that area?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller77 View Post
Hi people!
I'm going to move to Los Angeles. After inspecting the area, I stopped at Westchester, as in my opinion, there is a good value for the house and neigborhood quality. You can buy a good house 700k-900k and the neighborhood looks lovely. I have the family: child and wife.
My second choise was Cheviot Hills, but there is more expensive houses, although the quality of the area is not much higher, than Westchester (imho).
I could be wrong, so I will be very grateful for your advice. Finally i'm looking for quiet lovely place for family. What are good and what are bad at that area?
Thank you!

Keep an eye out for schools:

California School Performance Maps

Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Hi people!
Thank you!
Thought about Culver City or El Segundo? If you have kids, being in a non-LAUSD area is a must

Old 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
We spent a few years in westchester before buying in Santa Monica, and recently moving to Orange County. We really enjoyed it there, and I really believe its one of the best areas to buy, as location is great, home prices are not as outrageous as other equally nice/safe areas of City of LA, etc. With that being said, as mentioned, it is city of LA, so you'll have LAUSD to look forward to. I want to say that the westchester schools sit in an area where they host an interesting mix of kids, and Westchester HS is not a good school, if i remember correctly. Westchester seems to be one of these interesting areas where you can't really judge the neighborhood by the schools, as an extreme case here.

If schools are not an issue (private, home schooling, whatever), I think it's probably a great idea. If you'll be doing the public school thing, you may want to look at an independent city, as mentioned in another post - but your money wont go as far.

Ah, stay the heck away from LMU .... I recall the LMU students treating the neighborhood as their personal race track, parking lot, frat house, etc. Only an issue on the streets immediately surrounding the college. Don't do your house hunting during the summer when school is out of session.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:09 AM

Thank you all.
And yes El Segundo is a nice area, but too close to airport.
Once i have been in the house where I was watching planes take off

Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Keep an eye out for schools:

California School Performance Maps
wow, why that low rating for schools???

Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
1) it's lausd.
2) it's 73% black, 15% Latino. Statistically, a though mix for lausd. They also bus kids from other areas (also black/Latino). There are not great areas of "Westchester", other side of sepulvedava.

As I said - if public school is your choice - look elsewhere. If not, you'll like it there. Also as I said, public school rankings are not representative the area itself in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,632,544 times
Quote:
wow, why that low rating for schools???
Most of the kids whose parents can afford to mortgage a house or townhome in Westchester send their kids to one of the numerous private schools in the area.

Most of the kids attending public schools in westchester are bused in from other areas. If you need further proof, park outside Westchester High School as class lets out. The student body is almost entirely African American with a handful of Latino students. No Caucasian, no Asian students. Westchester is a very ethnically diverse area with near equal amounts of Caucasian, Latino and African American and a few Asians. So the public schools there are not at all representative of the surrounding neighborhood. Yet another result of LAUSD's terrible attempts at social engineering.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:17 AM

So, if i understand it correctly, except of schools, this area is quiet and without any crimes? Family oriented neighborhood, no nightlife and a bit boring?
I like silence at my home place.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 AM

And what about Cheviot Hills schools?
As i see according to trulia and redfin, i can buy there about 800-900k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles