Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,352 times

Advertisements

Dude You´re Way Too Far From Here
How´s The Weather In Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
MN for sure is the coldest state in the USA. I've heard lots of stories about that state.
It was so cold here one year that when I pushed the window washer spray switch the antifreeze window solvent came out and glazed over to ice in a second. It was that washer solvent thats supposed to be good at minus 25 degrees. Also my door handles got stuck and had to get lock de-icer spray, apparently everyone else was having the same problem and I got the last can of spray!!hahaha!
Ah, gotta love that northern chill. NOT!!!
What is "antifreeze" and what is "ice?"

Old 11-06-2007, 09:18 PM

129 posts, read 663,022 times
Quote:
MN for sure is the coldest state in the USA. I've heard lots of stories about that state.
It was so cold here one year that when I pushed the window washer spray switch the antifreeze window solvent came out and glazed over to ice in a second. It was that washer solvent thats supposed to be good at minus 25 degrees. Also my door handles got stuck and had to get lock de-icer spray, apparently everyone else was having the same problem and I got the last can of spray!!hahaha!
Ah, gotta love that northern chill. NOT!!!
I feel ya

I almost crashed the car on the highway because the solvent kept freezing over until my windshield was covered in ice - something like that happens every year for about a month.

What that means is I have to scrap **** off my windshield by hand - which means being outside - which means windchill of -35 blasting away at me - which means my skin and hair feeling dried and worn and torn.

Today it was dark by 5:00 PM

The sun really comes out at 7:00 AM

That's less than half a day of light - which needless to say, is very depressing (especially if you have hardcore S.A.D. like I do). Anybody who wants a taste of "americana" please don't squirm out of the sunbelt only to buy a 250,000 dollar cookie cutter "ticky tacky" house where you know the color of your neighbor's favorite tie because there's NOTHING else going on worth noticing.

Friday can't come soon enough (flight to San Francisco for job interview)

best wishes

Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
This is very very abnormal and to funny!! If you are in Palmdale, Lancaster, Victorville, Apple Valley. These are high desert cities and can get quite cold, but these aren't considered Los Angeles basin. Let's try to give the poster a more average view of the weather, and not a once in a blue moon prediction. Low to mid 20's is definently a rarity in Los Angeles. I've lived in Los Angeles for 20 years and have never experienced anything below 35 degrees in the Los Angeles basin, which probably has happend five days of my lifetime in Los Angeles. I agreed with the poster above jdavid. Bring a jacket, you'll be fine. Not trying to shoot you down big guy, but I couldn't resist.
I wasn't trying to scare anyone into wearing a heavy coat when they visit L.A., but rather was trying to give them some sort of honest idea of what they could experience, especially if they weren't going to be on the coastal side of the mountains. In my post, I wasn't referring specifically to the high desert area. What I stated was from my experience of nearly 40 years in the San Fernando Valley, where I was born and raised, and where I still work on a daily basis. The San Fernando Valley is part of the City of Los Angeles, for the most part. This is why I included it in my response. If the original post had stated they would be in Culver City or Santa Monica, I would not have done so.

Downtown L.A. has a very stable climate where the conditions don't change drastically throughout the year. The L.A. region, on the other hand, contains a vast number of microclimates that can vary greatly from one area to the next. I was trying to illustrate that there is more to L.A. than the metro/west side area, and extreme conditions in these suburban areas (such as the valley) can get colder in winter than the L.A. coastal basin does. Since none of us knows what the weather (especially the temperature) will be like next month, I wanted the O.P. to understand the extremes they could experience (including the outlying areas), not just what is normal for the L.A. basin. I believe I made that clear in my first response to the original message.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
JDavid, while no one would argue that the temperature extremes are greater the further you get from the coast, the truth is that only very rarely does the San Fernando Valley get into the 30s during the day. Every twenty or thirty years we'll get a freak snowstorm that drops the snow levels down to 1,000 feet or so, but that's hardly the norm, too.

Basically, the further you get from the coast, the colder/hotter it gets in winter/summer. And, yes, it does sometimes snow in the mountain areas when rain is falling in the lower elevations. Yet we have also seen 85 degrees on Christmas Day, so it's best to be prepared for cool weather, but realize that anything can happen (Santa Anas, for example).

Hmm, I think I'm beginning to repeat myself... Good night, everyone!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
I feel ya

I almost crashed the car on the highway because the solvent kept freezing over until my windshield was covered in ice - something like that happens every year for about a month.

What that means is I have to scrap **** off my windshield by hand - which means being outside - which means windchill of -35 blasting away at me - which means my skin and hair feeling dried and worn and torn.

Today it was dark by 5:00 PM

The sun really comes out at 7:00 AM

That's less than half a day of light - which needless to say, is very depressing (especially if you have hardcore S.A.D. like I do). Anybody who wants a taste of "americana" please don't squirm out of the sunbelt only to buy a 250,000 dollar cookie cutter "ticky tacky" house where you know the color of your neighbor's favorite tie because there's NOTHING else going on worth noticing.

Friday can't come soon enough (flight to San Francisco for job interview)

best wishes
Hey Monti ! Good luck at your SF interview!! Knock em dead!

I saw you have S.A.D., so do I. I just started my seasonal medications. The light lamps were a wasted $350. The past 10 years each year gets worse. Usually the depression dont hit til late Novemeber, this year it hit me in late October. We move into our LA apartment March 1st!!!! ALready done, just gotta pack up and hit the road! It feels sooooo good to know theres a light at the end of the gloomy midwest tunnel. 3 doctors advising me to move is good enough for me. I tried since I got this disorder (back in 1996-1997) to tame it and deal with it, but nothing is helping. Gotta move. I'm cool with it though, I need a change anyways

done rambling....for now...hahaha!!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
When you ready to come out, check accuweather.com.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM

92 posts, read 409,378 times
Quote:
I saw you have S.A.D., so do I. I just started my seasonal medications. The light lamps were a wasted $350. The past 10 years each year gets worse. Usually the depression dont hit til late Novemeber, this year it hit me in late October.
Good luck with your S.A.D., JakeHorror. I know exactly where you're coming from. It hit me all of a sudden when the temps dropped like a rock and the days got drastically shorter. Not fun!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
JDavid, while no one would argue that the temperature extremes are greater the further you get from the coast, the truth is that only very rarely does the San Fernando Valley get into the 30s during the day. Every twenty or thirty years we'll get a freak snowstorm that drops the snow levels down to 1,000 feet or so, but that's hardly the norm, too.

Basically, the further you get from the coast, the colder/hotter it gets in winter/summer. And, yes, it does sometimes snow in the mountain areas when rain is falling in the lower elevations. Yet we have also seen 85 degrees on Christmas Day, so it's best to be prepared for cool weather, but realize that anything can happen (Santa Anas, for example).

Hmm, I think I'm beginning to repeat myself... Good night, everyone!
Again, thanks for all the tips, everyone. I had no idea that the area was so diverse! Curse movies and TV, LOL. Who knew that they provided false ideas?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:47 AM

Sorry to bump this to the top of the forum, but our trip is in a week and I thought that I would check in again.

So...how's the weather? I've been checking it daily and it seems to be in the mid 60s to upper 70s. Sounds great! Question, though, what are mornings and nights like? Will I need a heavy coat?

Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles