Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
And the lowest commute times compared with what, Mars?
We probably don't count the time sitting in the car listening to talk radio or audiobooks.

That's quality time, not commute time!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Who was I given the choice to vote for? Garcetti or Gruel (or whatever her name is). To me, that's not a choice. That's like me telling you "You can eat anything you want, as long as it's either mutton or taco meat." Well, that's not a real choice, it's the illusion of a choice. The 2 party system is destroying this country. People can't see anything outside of the lens of Republican/Democrat, Conservative/Liberal. People have allowed their political intelligence to be retarded to that of a child. No one thinks about issues any more, they just choose colors.

Give me ANYONE that's going to build opportunities for people to work hard and be rewarded for it. Unfortunately, none of us will ever see a candidate like that.
The mayoral election is non-partisan.

As far as commute times:

Quote:
The average commute time for Los Angeles County residents in 2011 was 29.4 minutes, above the national average of 25.5 minutes.
So we are barely above average. I was thinking compared to other major US cities we have lower commute times, forgetting that sprawl-burbs like Oklahoma City have nearly no traffic so their commute times are ridiculously low. I also forget there is a huge contingency of posters on this board that pine for LA's own days of being a big low density mess.

Quote:
a surprisingly high percentage of drivers get to their destinations in under 20 minutes (34%),

Last edited by munchitup; 06-11-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM

53 posts, read 117,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Southern California Economy Not Keeping Up | Joel Kotkin

This is sad for me personally. I was in the Southland during the 80s then again for a stint during the early 90s. I saw it at its best, in these regards. To see it now, brings a tear to my eye.

Even up here in the Bay, once one sets aside all the "buzz" about social media, etc, our hollowed out manufacturing is a crime.
I don't always agree with Kotkin but he is a thought provoking writer. I do think the dichotomy he discusses between the Bay Area economy and the LA area economy is very real and troubling.

I am just not sure there is a lot that can be done. The agglomeration of the tech firms in Silicon Valley is what it is. Very hard to match that no matter what any local political or business leader does here in the southland.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM

53 posts, read 117,258 times
Quote:
Blame the state government. Who the hell keeps re-electing Feinstein and why? .
Mrs. Feinstein is in the federal government. And as one of 100 U.S. Senators her ability to influence her home state is subject to the arcane rules of the senate (including the filibuster).

Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
This wistful yearning many have for the 1980’s is just brutal. Crime escalated and was drug wars became rampant.

The early 90’s were marked by race riots, earthquakes, fire, floods and 10% unemployment in LA County, and the hallowing out of our manufacturing base began to be set in motion by the wonderful trade policies of that era. If you opposed those policies, you were called a shorted- Luddite by the D’s and a lazy trade unionist by the R’s. Eventually, everybody agreed to blame the Mexicans.

The good Old Days are now. Sucks, I know.

Couldn't have said it better!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Who was I given the choice to vote for? Garcetti or Gruel (or whatever her name is). To me, that's not a choice. That's like me telling you "You can eat anything you want, as long as it's either mutton or taco meat." Well, that's not a real choice, it's the illusion of a choice. The 2 party system is destroying this country. People can't see anything outside of the lens of Republican/Democrat, Conservative/Liberal. People have allowed their political intelligence to be retarded to that of a child. No one thinks about issues any more, they just choose colors.

Give me ANYONE that's going to build opportunities for people to work hard and be rewarded for it. Unfortunately, none of us will ever see a candidate like that.
Well, as they say, public policy is not a spectator sport. If you're not happy with the choices you have for public office, get involved in the nomination stage. It's pathetic that such a large city as LA had such a low voter turnout. But this means that if you and a group of like-minded friends can get organized, you have more clout/say in the process precisely because so few people get involved.

Don't get mad, get organized!

And hold any elected official's feet to the fire when in office.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, as they say, public policy is not a spectator sport. If you're not happy with the choices you have for public office, get involved in the nomination stage. It's pathetic that such a large city as LA had such a low voter turnout. But this means that if you and a group of like-minded friends can get organized, you have more clout/say in the process precisely because so few people get involved.

Don't get mad, get organized!

And hold any elected official's feet to the fire when in office.
One reason for the low voter turnout is Greuel and Garcetti are so similar. A choice between baby blue and powder blue is hardly gonna galvanize a voter base. Still, I take the point: Getting involved in grassroots civic politics is really not hard at all, so nobody really gets to moan about choices.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Wow, there are some pretty disturbing comments here. I guess many of today's usurpers do not value manufacturing or the middle class.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Wow, there are some pretty disturbing comments here. I guess many of today's usurpers do not value manufacturing or the middle class.
Hmm I am pretty sure that I am the middle class... Yet I still think Kotkin is a total hack.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
One reason for the low voter turnout is Greuel and Garcetti are so similar. A choice between baby blue and powder blue is hardly gonna galvanize a voter base. Still, I take the point: Getting involved in grassroots civic politics is really not hard at all, so nobody really gets to moan about choices.
There were other choices in the primary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles