Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 PM

13 posts, read 24,828 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I'm 31, black female. I hang out doing stuff like swing dancing and volunteer work. I totally never visit bars. But I still want to make friends. I recently spent half a year in Michigan. I found Detroit to have very friendly people. Ann Arbor was really cool too. However, I might make a move to LA for a job. Will I wish I had waited till I found something in Michigan long term? Will I make friends in LA or are people stand offish. I've spent a few weekends there. Seems cliquish at first impression. I even went swing dancing. It was so so. Definitely not over friendly. But I wanted to hear it from those who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 AM

223 posts, read 470,773 times
I'll be your friend.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young-east-coaster View Post
Just curious. I'm 31, black female. I hang out doing stuff like swing dancing and volunteer work. I totally never visit bars. But I still want to make friends. I recently spent half a year in Michigan. I found Detroit to have very friendly people. Ann Arbor was really cool too. However, I might make a move to LA for a job. Will I wish I had waited till I found something in Michigan long term? Will I make friends in LA or are people stand offish. I've spent a few weekends there. Seems cliquish at first impression. I even went swing dancing. It was so so. Definitely not over friendly. But I wanted to hear it from those who live there.

It depends. I would not use the time of a few weekends spent to gauge how all relationships will go in a given place.

There are nearly ten million people in LA County, and another three million in Orange County, which is next door. LA by itself is over four million, so you should be able to find a niche somewhere. But it will take time. And this depends not only on the people, but on you as well.

I also would not limit myself to the City of LA alone. Branch out.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 AM

425 posts, read 647,314 times
In my opinion, LA is hard to meet "friends". I think it's easy to make acquaintances but in the working world, you only have so much free time after work and if your job is located in a place that is in LA county but far from the 'fun' areas, you might be miserable since commuting is such a pain in LA during rush hour. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LA...I know many out of towners who just never felt connected and left.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM

223 posts, read 470,773 times
Outside of school/college, most of my friends were met through work.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hken View Post
In my opinion, LA is hard to meet "friends". I think it's easy to make acquaintances but in the working world, you only have so much free time after work and if your job is located in a place that is in LA county but far from the 'fun' areas, you might be miserable since commuting is such a pain in LA during rush hour. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LA...I know many out of towners who just never felt connected and left.
very very true...and unfortunate. you can meet friends but they might live an hour away easily, and when you're working 50+ hours a week you don't have time to see them.

vast majority of my friends live within a mile radius of me

Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
It depends on your niche. Becoming friends with general strangers doesnt work here. Most of my friends Ive met through Work or School. This is a city of social circles and many dont want to add ajy more to thier circle.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 AM

155 posts, read 260,236 times
LA isn't a "friend" kind of town.

The working classes tend to be segregated by ethnicity.

The entertainment industry is all about networking and not genuine friendship.

That said, I've noticed that the further you are from being a skinny, White blonde man or woman, the tougher it is to meet new people.

Take that for what it's worth.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:23 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
LA isn't a "friend" kind of town.

The working classes tend to be segregated by ethnicity.

The entertainment industry is all about networking and not genuine friendship.

That said, I've noticed that the further you are from being a skinny, White blonde man or woman, the tougher it is to meet new people.

Take that for what it's worth.
1. No... This isn't the 1950's, if anything women and minorities have just as many good jobs as white men. At least in LA.

2. Yes about the entertainment industry

3. I dont' think so at all. Skinny blond men aren't taken as seriously in LA as dark. This is an LA thing

Last edited by disgruntled la native; 06-16-2013 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM

155 posts, read 260,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
1. No... This isn't the 1950's, if anything women and minorities have just as many good jobs as white men. At least in LA.

2. Yes about the entertainment industry

3. I dont' think so at all. Skinny blond men aren't taken as seriously in LA as dark. This is an LA thing

1. Who said anything about jobs, I was talking about making friends - but yes, the WORKING CLASSES of LA don't live in the same neighborhoods. Generally speaking, working class Latinos live in Latino areas, Blacks with Blacks, etc. I never said there wasn't workplace diversity.

2. Right.

3. You must not spend any time around Hollywood, West LA or the beach cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles