Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 PM

6 posts, read 11,734 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for close to the beach and don't have to be in LA ..... Orange county is so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Young, unmarried couple (late 20s) possibly relocating to either Los Angeles or Miami. Unfamiliar with both places, but am interested in both for the same general reasons everyone else is (weather, beach living, cosmopolitan, etc)

Looking to rent initially while learning the city. Budget is about $6k/mo, could stretch it to $8k for something that's perfect. Hoping to get 2, maybe even 3 bedrooms and ~1500sf

3 main things looking for that are all must haves:
- Beach living; prefer on the beach, a few blocks away max. Pacific Ocean views would be a great bonus
- Walk/bicycle friendly neighborhood to shopping, dining, beaches
- Close (relatively speaking) to the city center and affluent areas (Beverley Hills, Staples Center, etc.) and things for youngish people (but not kids) to do. Keep in mind I'm from a part of the country where 15-20 minutes was a pretty decent trek, and 30 minutes was full across town.

Pretty much eliminated the beaches south of Long Beach just because it seems that is more family oriented, spread out, and very far from downtown.

Initially focused search in the Redondo Beach/Hermosa Beach/Manhattan Beach area but am now looking further north in Santa Monica due to its proximity to downtown. How do these communities compare? Schools aren't a concern, but of course we do want to live in a safe area. The Strand/Esplanade/Boardwalk looks very appealing. Also, how much would a cab fare be from these areas to downtown/clusters of nice bars/clubs?

And last question. This may seem strange but it surprised me when I first learned of it. The average temperatures in these beach communities seems to top out in the low 70s even during the summer. I'm from the south where that's a pretty cool day for the beach or pool. Miami seems to be about 10 degrees warmer in the winter and 15 degrees warmer in the summer. For someone who would like 12 months (or as close as possible) of beachy weather, this is a concern. Do people just get used to it and lay out in the sun on a 66 degree June day? What about a 58 degree January day? I've always known the Pacific Ocean was cold and the beach cities cooler than the inland areas, but this was surprising. If people could chime in about what the beaches are like in both the winter and summer months that'd be great.
I haven't read through the thread yet, so I'll just respond to this post first.

Both the South Bay (Hermosa, Manhattan etc) and Santa Monica fulfill the first two criteria you list. The third thing you mention favors Santa Monica.

For someone not local, you'll likely want to start up in the Santa Monica area. That can be a bit tricky though as the actual beach can be quite a trek for most SM residents. Even those close as a bird flies have to deal with an annoying commute over a bridge which crosses Pacific Coast Highway. That's why I vastly prefer Hermosa/Manhattan beaches. They are much more beach-oriented, whereas Santa Monica is more like a cosmopolitan city in close proximity to a beach. IMO, South Bay beach cities are a little safer than Santa Monica. SM is more of a tourist hub and also has a major freeway leading directly to it. The South Bay is a bit more of a locals kind of neighborhood with no freeway heading directly to it.

You'll have to get familiar with the various parts of L.A. to see what it is you value being close to. If it's more urban living, then Santa Monica is the better bet. But, if you find that Manhattan Beach offers all you need and more-as many do- than the more beach-centered lifestyle would be more to your liking.

You keep referencing downtown. I'd say you need to become more familiar with L.A. first. There is no central, downtown, this-is-where-all-the-action-is-centered place. There is a downtown L.A. But it is nothing more than another section of L.A. It's improving and I'm not even saying it has to be a bad place. It's just not any more of a focal point of the action than many other places.

As far as temperature goes, you're right, it's never going to hit 85 degrees at the beach. The normal range is 65-75 degrees. Exponentially more comfortable than Miami. But, some people just have this mental hangup to where they're not happy at the beach unless it's uncomfortably hot. It's a complete mental block lol. But, yeah, if you have said block, you'll be disappointed with So Cal beaches (San Diego beaches are no warmer than L.A., another hilarious misnomer among those not from here).

Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
The beaches of LA are not a year round party. The only months they have superior weather are July and August. Don't get me wrong, beach living is great, but its not Miami or Rio here. The beach culture is not as big as you'd think it would be.
September and October as well. Still very hot in Dade county in those months. And that's only if you're talking weather in South Beach vs. weather at the immediate coast in California. Would be misleading for someone to read your post and generalize it out to "Weather in California is only better than weather in Florida in July and August". Most people would do that if they weren't familiar with both places and merely read your comment

Old 06-19-2013, 03:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Young, unmarried couple (late 20s) possibly relocating to either Los Angeles or Miami. Unfamiliar with both places, but am interested in both for the same general reasons everyone else is (weather, beach living, cosmopolitan, etc)

Looking to rent initially while learning the city. Budget is about $6k/mo, could stretch it to $8k for something that's perfect. Hoping to get 2, maybe even 3 bedrooms and ~1500sf

3 main things looking for that are all must haves:
- Beach living; prefer on the beach, a few blocks away max. Pacific Ocean views would be a great bonus
- Walk/bicycle friendly neighborhood to shopping, dining, beaches
- Close (relatively speaking) to the city center and affluent areas (Beverley Hills, Staples Center, etc.) and things for youngish people (but not kids) to do. Keep in mind I'm from a part of the country where 15-20 minutes was a pretty decent trek, and 30 minutes was full across town.

Pretty much eliminated the beaches south of Long Beach just because it seems that is more family oriented, spread out, and very far from downtown.

Initially focused search in the Redondo Beach/Hermosa Beach/Manhattan Beach area but am now looking further north in Santa Monica due to its proximity to downtown. How do these communities compare? Schools aren't a concern, but of course we do want to live in a safe area. The Strand/Esplanade/Boardwalk looks very appealing. Also, how much would a cab fare be from these areas to downtown/clusters of nice bars/clubs?

And last question. This may seem strange but it surprised me when I first learned of it. The average temperatures in these beach communities seems to top out in the low 70s even during the summer. I'm from the south where that's a pretty cool day for the beach or pool. Miami seems to be about 10 degrees warmer in the winter and 15 degrees warmer in the summer. For someone who would like 12 months (or as close as possible) of beachy weather, this is a concern. Do people just get used to it and lay out in the sun on a 66 degree June day? What about a 58 degree January day? I've always known the Pacific Ocean was cold and the beach cities cooler than the inland areas, but this was surprising. If people could chime in about what the beaches are like in both the winter and summer months that'd be great.

Malibu -
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0660

Long Beach -
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0632

Laguna Beach -
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0573

(to go to the link provided shade http -USCA _ _ _ _ (#), for example if you want to see malibu averages shade http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0660 but dont shhade [/url], then do copy and paste.)

Coastal weather in Los Angeles in the summer can vary when the most of the month, for example, August is in the 80's with many days in the 90's and 70's.

Summer Average high/low(Highest high-lowest high/highest low- lowest low) for beaches in LA (My own averages from experience)

June - 85-75/70-60
July - 90-75/70-65
August - 95-80/75-65
September - 95-75/75-60

some days in the summer it reaches over 100 degrees, but usually only in August or September
Also dew points in the daytime in the summer range from 65-70 in LA, and 65-75 in OC. Though they sometimes exceed this mark.

And water temps highs in daytime in LA are about 71 degrees, and OC are about 74 degrees a little warmer because beaches in OC face south.

Those averages you posted of 70's are mean temps, what that means is that they take the daytime high and nightime low and come up with that stat. so for example one day the high/low is 90/70 than the average would be 80. So to answer your question in 1 sentence, LA Costal temps are much hotter than mid 70's.

Last edited by L.A.-Mex; 06-19-2013 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Days above 85F on the beach are actually quite rare. The 85+ days in Los Angeles are usually inland. The best beaches in SoCal are in San Diego and Catalina, IMO. Catalina feels more exotic and Mediterranean, with calm and clearer waters that usually get to 71F in August. San Diego has water 73-74F because it is further south. LA has some nice beaches too, but they are more crowded.

Santa Barbara:

Catalina:

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Los Angeles:

Orange:

San Diego:

Last edited by Marka; 10-26-2013 at 03:04 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Days above 85F on the beach are actually quite rare. The 85+ days in Los Angeles are usually inland. The best beaches in SoCal are in San Diego and Catalina, IMO. Catalina feels more exotic and Mediterranean, with calm and clearer waters that usually get to 71F in August. San Diego has water 73-74F because it is further south. LA has some nice beaches too, but they are more crowded.

Santa Barbara:

Catalina:

Los Angeles:

Orange:

San Diego:
This past summer in OC and LA there were plenty 85+ days, im not sure about San Diego since I just spent my time in the LA Area, and Mexico. Also beaches and inland areas of OC and LA are hotter than the areas in San Diego.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM

513 posts, read 913,666 times
I've been living in Santa Monica for 5 years and I have to disagree with Dunbar. Sure it it cooler in coastal SoCal than it is further inland, but it is not in the 50s in March! Just look at the weather data, most daytime temps are in the high 60s and low 70s with some 80s thrown in. Coastal L.A is very, very comfortable year round, mild, great for tropical plants to thrive. We never, ever get frosts, at least we have never gotten one as long as I've been living in Santa Monica. The marine layer usually burns off by noon, most days. There are some days that are gloomy by the beach, but then again they are also gloomy 7 miles inland. And BTW, OC beaches do not face south, they all face Southwest, just like the beaches in L.A, granted a tiny bit more tilted to the south, but still southwest. The only beaches in Southern California that face South are Santa Barbara, Malibu, and Long Beach. Overall, coastal Southern California has amazing weather pretty much year round except for a few stupid days that go by rather fast.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
I've been living in Santa Monica for 5 years and I have to disagree with Dunbar. Sure it it cooler in coastal SoCal than it is further inland, but it is not in the 50s in March!
I said 50's to low 60's Dec-March are common. Obviously it warms up the closer you get to spring but FWIW here are the high temps for Santa Monica in March of this year. Notice how the historical average high temp is listed as 62-63 degrees. Low 60's on an overcast day is pretty cool in my book.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
This past summer in OC and LA there were plenty 85+ days, im not sure about San Diego since I just spent my time in the LA Area, and Mexico. Also beaches and inland areas of OC and LA are hotter than the areas in San Diego.
The past summer here in San Diego had the same area. The inland areas here were also the same. I just meant in general.

As for uppr 50sF weather, usually when it is raining we get that, but on sunny days it is rare for the day to only be in the 50sF.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM

Also, keep in mind nights are warmer in coastal areas than inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles