Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times

Advertisements

Snapped a few around 6:00 tonight. I didn't realize so many downtowners own dogs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
It looked nice. I walked by about the same time you were there. Just hope it doesn't turn into another homeless hangout like Pershing Square. Last night there were two guys tossing a football, and even children playing.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
What a wonderful idea and park...I too, hope it doesn't end up like Pershing Square. I remember how wonderful the square was at one time, only to be taken over by the less than desirables.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What a wonderful idea and park...I too, hope it doesn't end up like Pershing Square. I remember how wonderful the square was at one time, only to be taken over by the less than desirables.
A lot of Pershing Square's issues stem from its terrible make-over a few decades ago.

If the park was more accessible to the street it wouldn't be such a homeless magnet, and might actually attractive nearby residents.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 AM

53 posts, read 117,258 times
Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like they did a nice job.

As a former resident of downtown and someone who currently works in downtown I welcome the much needed addtional green space in downtown.

Agree with all the comments that the key to the park's long-term success is that is enjoyed by all of downtown...and that it not become a magnet for panhandlers, drug dealers, etc.

One positive sign is that the park will be managed by a non-profit association run through the local Neighborhood Council. Don't know all the details but it is a similar structure to how NYC's Bryant Park is managed. That park was a den of drug dealing and vagrants in the 1980's before it was put into the hands of a non-profit to manage the park's operations.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:55 PM

249 posts, read 443,408 times
Yea they had a movie viewing there the other day and a free slurpee I believe. Thought that was pretty damn hip.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Hope the homeless don't discover this park. It just takes one homeless to loiter there to ward off the majority of park-goers from staying there for very long.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Hope the homeless don't discover this park. It just takes one homeless to loiter there to ward off the majority of park-goers from staying there for very long.
Not really - as long as there are more non-homeless . There is a park near my place at Selma and Schrader that almost always has one or two homeless people in it, but also quite a crowd of parents and young children. As long as homeless don't build a critical mass, it will be fine. Also, this park is closed and gated at night so there won't be people sleeping in it and messing it up.

Plus, the Historic Core is so park-poor that this park will be heavily used be nearby residents.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Strangely enough the green and white sign with two bajillion rules doesn't have "No Panhandling."

Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times
Screw that group of people in your second picture! They kept telling everyone with a dog that they dont want to sit in our dogs ****! I told them there isn't a sign stating that dogs cannot go on the grass, all it says that dogs must be on leash all time and remains must be picked up right away, the girl states " they are gonna post the signs" and responded back with "well there are no signs up and until the signs are up, people are going to bring their dogs! Sorry but everyone owns a dog in downtown la. Get over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: