Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 PM

13 posts, read 13,461 times

Advertisements

I realize that these threads are a dime a dozen and have read through a fair amount of them (though by no means all of them). However, since now I find myself in a similar position to many posters, I feel it might be useful to reach out and get some advice from people 'in the know' as I contemplate my options for moving to the area. I have currently have some job options and am wondering about neighborhoods, safety, and pricing.

Some details:

I am a 24 year old single female, and I just graduated last week with my Master's degree. I grew up in Vegas, but I have spent the past 6 years working and studying in Seattle (with a 6 month stint in the UK). My mother and family still lives in Vegas and I would like to live closer to them after being so far away. There are fewer opportunities in my field (higher ed/non-profits) in Vegas as there are in the LA area, and I am not really interested in living in NV. I currently own my own car (and cover my own gas and insurance) and the only debt I owe is $2,045 in student loans. I have no romantic attachments or children and the only responsibility I have for another living creature is to my cat.

Right now I am mulling over 3 options:

Option 1: I have an offer at the University Park Campus of USC for a position that would put me at about 40,000 a year initially (I plan to promote). The start date would be in late summer. It's not exactly what I want professionally, but for a first real job after school, it wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Option 2: A co-worker at my former workplace up here has put me in contact with an institution on N Central Ave in the 90012 area near Little Tokyo. They may have a position available for me later (around September), but the pay options are more unclear (and probably about 10k lower) but this is more in line with my ideal career path in the field and may put me into contact with some of the right people for other advancement opportunities.

Option 3: I have no additional offers yet, but I have applied to other opportunities. I have a fund set up (7,000) and could move down (without a position secured) as soon as my lease up here ends in August. I read a lot about people who move without having jobs lined up, but I have never done that before so I am not sure if it is a good call.

My questions for you folks:

If I were to take either of the first two options (assuming option #2 actually pans out with a job) what neighborhoods would be good to live in?

I don't mind a small commute (no more than 1 hour) and would prefer for a quieter sort of place with older people and reasonable safety.

My rent budget would be between $1,000-1,500 for a studio or one bedroom. I'm not a party person really, or a drinker, so while I would like to be able to find younger people my age to hang out, date, or socialize with, I don't want to be too near the nightlife if I can help it. I like parks and museums and stuff way more than all of that. Walkability is a factor for me but I don't mind if it is impossible to find. I realize I am leaving Seattle in that respect.

Are there any neighborhoods that fit that bill?

And then how do you all feel about moving without having a job secured? I might be able to get some family support, but I feel like it would hurt a bit to deal with not only the cost of living change between here and Seattle (it's high here, but ridiculous in LA from what I can tell), but if I didn't get a position right away, then the squeeze would increase. I've been told that my educational background and previous experience gives me job good prospects, but looking at the overall economy (here, LA, and across the country), I am a little less confident. I'm kind of risk averse in general, but I would really like to live and work in Southern California.

And I am young enough and free enough that a bit of a failed move probably wouldn't ruin my life, I suppose. But moving without a job still makes me nervous.

Thoughts? (Sorry for the essay)

Thank you every much

P.S. If any of you have any experience working at USC, please do tell me what it was like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM

53 posts, read 117,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conn8d View Post
I don't mind a small commute (no more than 1 hour) and would prefer for a quieter sort of place with older people and reasonable safety.

My rent budget would be between $1,000-1,500 for a studio or one bedroom. I'm not a party person really, or a drinker, so while I would like to be able to find younger people my age to hang out, date, or socialize with, I don't want to be too near the nightlife if I can help it. I like parks and museums and stuff way more than all of that. Walkability is a factor for me but I don't mind if it is impossible to find. I realize I am leaving Seattle in that respect.

Are there any neighborhoods that fit that bill?

P.S. If any of you have any experience working at USC, please do tell me what it was like.
I have never worked for USC but I have heard it is a good place to work (reasonable hours, good benefits, etc). Congrats on having an offer in hand even if it is not exactly what you want.

For neighborhoods that are quieter but relatively close to USC/Downtown LA you might consider: Pasadena, South Pasadena and Culver City. Some neighborhoods within the City of LA you might consder are: Silverlake and Eagle Rock.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
I would take the USC job and live in Pasadena. You can always quit if the other job pans out.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 AM

Interesting! Thank you both. I've heard good things about Pasadena, but I couldn't tell if it was too far away.

Is Old Town Nice? Some of the apartment listings coming up are from that area...

Old 06-22-2013, 05:52 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Old Town is wonderful. (I would not move here without the job, though!)

Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Old Town Pasadena is very nice and the apartments there are very nice and convenient.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
I can't help you on where to live but USC is top notch. Even if it isn't your exact field or desired salary, you very well may have a better chance to transfer to your desired position at USC by starting at USC rather than another place. They take care of their own.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 PM

16 posts, read 43,087 times
USC offers free trams from Union Station to the University Park Campus. Pay and benefits are great from what employees have said. You could take the Gold Line from South Pasadena to Union Station and from there via the tram to the UPC.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM

Oh wow! Thank you Mobius69...I didn't know that there might be transit options other than driving, that is very interesting.

Do you know if the USC trams pick up from any other locations?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM

16 posts, read 43,087 times
Try these links:

http://www.usctrams.com/

Auxiliary Services | Transportation | Bus Maps & Schedules

USC Maps

The school charges everyone to park, but I was told that employees are given extra in their check to cover the cost. There are staff only lots/areas too.

With your age and background, you will fit right in at the school.

Please keep in mind the 8% CA State Income Tax, 25% federal taxes, higher than average gasoline costs, and sales taxes on most purchases (8-11%). Figure 33% gone with taxes, so you have to live on $26.8K. Rent is very expensive, so many people have roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles