Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I have known Native New Yorkers to move to Texas, Alabama, and other places. So you don't know for sure that there are very few Native New Yorkers moving to Arizona.

People will sometimes speak for a whole city, nationality, ethnicity, when the reality is that they are just speaking of themselves or their friends.

This is America. People will move all over the country in search of work, educational opportunities, and other things. Sometimes its just adventure.
Between the hundreds of folks that went to HS and College with me, none that I know of. Are you happy?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Between the hundreds of folks that went to HS and College with me, none that I know of. Are you happy?
There's 8 million New Yorkers. Perhaps you just didn't know the right ones.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's 8 million New Yorkers. Perhaps you just didn't know the right ones.

I know a few native New Yorkers who moved or are planning to move to Arizona. There's an engineer who move out there over a decade ago to work at W.L. Gore (number 21 on Fortune Magazine's best companies to work for) in Flagstaff. There's a physician who joined a practice in Phoenix and a very good friend of mine just bought a house in Sedona.

NyWriter is correct, there's no one who can speak for an entire population, especially one as diverse as New York.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 PM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You think Pershing square and Hollywood are dumps?... You must not have seen much of la...there are a lot of areas much worse than those .

I haven't lived in nyc.. But the pace is so fast . I'm sure many people like this .. But it just seems like when you are in a rush all the time and impatient you can't enjoy stuff .

The idea of customer service doesn't really seem to apply in nyc.

I don't really like the gruff " whaddya want ?" Service of many places in nyc.

This is probably something that someone that has lived in nyc for their whole life or a long time doesn't even realize..

I think this is why people think people in la are " friendly " ..

It's just a whole different culture in nyc versus la it seems .
LOL, Was thinking the same thing.

You speak truth on the customer service in NYC (and the rest of the North East).
The red-carpet ass-kissing you get at LA restaurants, museums, stores, spas, and even grocery stores can have a definite spoiling effect. When I go back to the N.E. to visit after so long, the lack of "customer service" there is very much magnified, sometimes even off-putting.

You're right- each place is unique in culture- not really comparable, IMO. They're like different countries, really. LA is a lot slower, more relaxed in pace with extracurricular activities and relations. Business here seems to prefer "accomplishing much while appearing to accomplish little". NE cities: more brisk, more bookish and a little more formal.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 PM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebordella View Post
This whole thread is a great example of why it is so difficult for anyone to say that a certain city is objectively "best". So much is about the context of the person making the move. Their personal history, needs, finances, etc. What we can do on these boards is help describe what a place is like but ultimately your own background and personal preferences will influence the outcome.

I moved here to LA after 15 years in a rural location in the northeastern snowbelt. I wasn't born there -- grew up in metro NY, so not unfamiliar with the rhythms of a major population area. Believe me, I think the romanticized notion of 4 seasons is way overrated. But that's because I've sweated through so many humid summers and shoveled through so many snowbound winters, I've had enough "true" seasons for a lifetime. By comparison, the LA climate is heaven. Maybe that will wear off eventually, but so what? For now, it rocks. And the "crowds" and even traffic so far have proved very manageable, particularly for the rewards. But I can understand why someone who grew up in the reverse situation may feel differently. You don't win an award for living out your whole life in one place.

This thread is about LA coming from NYC, but the answers may be very different coming from Nashville or Topeka or Anchorage. It's all about context.

OMG so TRUE! Thank you I grew up in the same area--people who say they want "4 seasons" but have never lived in an area with 4 major seasons often don't understand exactly what that means: walking up an hour early for work to shovel your car out of the driveway, and, if by chance someone else has shoveled your driveway, you still have to heat your car for 30 minutes or so before you can attempt to drive it. Snow tire chains. Fishtailing. Not seeing the sun for 6 months out of the year.

Muggy, muggy summers, so muggy it is not enjoyable to go outside, unless you're near a body of water in which to swim. No one mentions the lack of homes with POOLS in the Northeast- a very rare sight indeed. Pool homes are very common in the Southwest. Growing up, I never knew a single person with a pool- people just don't have them, even many upper-middle class folks in the NE don't think of pools.

Even having an air conditioner in a window in the summer doesn't make a room comfortable. Central Air, same thing. It's as muggy as Florida, though those if FL may deny anyone else has as much humidity as they.

Mosquitoes, too, and TICKS. Ugh.

At least, if you feel like glimpsing something distantly related to seasons, you have that option in LA. You can "leaf peep" in Julian in the Autumn and get some really good, homemade pie. You can visit Big Bear and get your snow fill in the winter, and participate in the winter sports.

When you're stuck IN the Snowbelt, there's nowhere to go to get away, except Florida.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:50 AM

292 posts, read 569,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I moved from NYC a decade ago. I didn't have much but just took the plunge and decided to start from the ground up. Now when I goto NYC on visits and really take a look at the place, I cant believe that I ever thought I would miss that place. Its gotta be the crappiest big city in the US.

And when I hear folks who are in NYC or some others that fantasize about the place say they love the subway, the food, the museums and the four seasons, I damm near pass out.

And its not just about high rents, you could offer me a house for free in NYC and I still wouldn't move back. LA aint perfect, but as far as my personal checklist, its beats living in NYC, and its not even close.
I wonder how New Paltz is (about 60 miles from NYC). It has history plus a university

Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Even having an air conditioner in a window in the summer doesn't make a room comfortable. Central Air, same thing. It's as muggy as Florida, though those if FL may deny anyone else has as much humidity as they.

Mosquitoes, too, and TICKS. Ugh.

At least, if you feel like glimpsing something distantly related to seasons, you have that option in LA. You can "leaf peep" in Julian in the Autumn and get some really good, homemade pie. You can visit Big Bear and get your snow fill in the winter, and participate in the winter sports.

When you're stuck IN the Snowbelt, there's nowhere to go to get away, except Florida.
For me, Florida is overrated. I lived in Alabama for a few years. Put it like this, I'd rather spend a winter in the finger lakes than go to Florida. You have a lot more insects, snakes, alligators, and other creepy things. For this reason, I like Southern California's warmer climate better. Plus LA isn't humid. Plus California is a lot more of a diverse economy than Florida.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
As a few others have said, there are places in between LA and NYC. I personally would give some other states a shot, if you don't mind hot dry weather, you got Las Vegas, Phoenix, New Mexico would be a good choice as it has a little bit more of the 4 seasons, and in certain parts it isn't as hot as Phoenix is.

If your looking for the place that has the big city vibe and "action" so to speak, LA could fit the bill, as it has a lot going for it, but to me, the high costs, the crowds, the traffic..... IDK, it is quickly losing it's appeal. I was born and raised here and everytime I go somewhere else... it just makes me want to get away from the crowds and traffic.
A studio in a nice part of Manhattan costs 3k. Rents in LA, even the Westside, are comparatively cheap compared to Manhattan rents. LA is nowhere near as crowded as New York, and as far traffic goes, for those who have driven here or taken rides in cars, yes we have traffic problems too.

Los Angeles has single detached dwelling houses. Pretty common in LA, a lot less common in NYC (non existent in Manhattan, common in Queens, parts of Brooklyn much of Staten Island, and in the North Bronx). The population density is a lot less than New York.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 930 times
LA just doesn't have the dynamism and sheer concentration of interesting things to do and see as NYC. Both have their downsides and advantages though

Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I know they're both big cities, but I am SO much more geared to the laid back, warm climate...I really love LA and I feel like I'm counting down the days until I can move there, while stuck in NYC...I truly hate NYC, the weather, rude people, etc.

Would love feedback from people who have moved here from NY or somewhere else even....and loved LA.

I ma honestly so excited that I might be out there soon!
The problem with LA, as I see it is all the interesting places are spread out far too much, public transport is not up to par and driving is even more miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles