Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 AM

77 posts, read 119,554 times

Advertisements

Very true. I think that people coming to LA from many other US cities don't appreciate this. We pay a little under that price and live in a well-regarded westside area. But instead of a studio in Manhattan, it's a 2bd/2ba+office+garage+private outdoor space with lush landscaping. I certainly wouldn't call LA housing "cheap" but in comparison to NYC, there is still a big difference in what you get for the dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A studio in a nice part of Manhattan costs 3k. Rents in LA, even the Westside, are comparatively cheap compared to Manhattan rents. LA is nowhere near as crowded as New York, and as far traffic goes, for those who have driven here or taken rides in cars, yes we have traffic problems too.

Los Angeles has single detached dwelling houses. Pretty common in LA, a lot less common in NYC (non existent in Manhattan, common in Queens, parts of Brooklyn much of Staten Island, and in the North Bronx). The population density is a lot less than New York.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 AM

77 posts, read 119,554 times
This goes back to personal lifestyle preference. I enjoy driving around LA and exploring new areas. I'd rather be chugging along through a new and interesting neighborhood than buried underground on a hot smelly subway. And I've been on plenty of hot smelly subway rides to know.

But again, this thread is about coming to LA from NYC. I don't buy the point of view that most NYC residents are hitting the corners of every borough on the magical tube system every weekend. Many NYC residents like a compact life and the setup of the city suits that. That's great - someone who needs that type of compact "everything I need is within 15 blocks" would be very frustrated in LA. But some people want to roam and enjoy a wider sphere, and if you're that type of person living in NYC it can feel very claustrophobic. For this type of person, LA can be a better fit. Just because driving and traffic can sometimes be a hassle, so what -- schlepping around NYC can be a hassle too. There are hassles to living in any large city, kind of comes with the territory if you want the advantages of a population in the millions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapuchin Monk View Post
The problem with LA, as I see it is all the interesting places are spread out far too much, public transport is not up to par and driving is even more miserable.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,478,781 times
The whole "four seasons" argument makes me laugh...I hear that from so many NYers who cannot imagine living somewhere else..I feel bad for people who are stuck here for the rest of their lives..

Bottom line is, here in NYC, it basically feels like two seasons, cold, grey and rainy, and hot, humid and disgusting. Right now, for instance, it's so unbearable hot and humid that most people don't even want to go outside. Took a five block walk yesterday and by the time I got home, I was soaking wet and felt like the life had been sucked out of me, had to jump right in the shower. Seriously disgusting.

And it will be like this until late September when it then starts to rain continuously and we might even be lucky enough to get another hurricane! (God forbid, Sandy was truly a scary experience), and then it will turn to bitter cold until late April.

I won't miss this AT ALL.

Aside from weather, there really isn't that much that appeals to me about NYC, never did really love here and I am born and raised here.

Luckily, I might soon be in a position to expedite my move out to CA...and I cannot wait!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,868,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseoftheTriads View Post
LA just doesn't have the dynamism and sheer concentration of interesting things to do and see as NYC. Both have their downsides and advantages though
A huge percentage of people who live here in NYC, for various reasons, don't do anything. Its not like natives regularly go to the opera or Broadway. I'm not speaking of everyone, but there's a decent percentage of people who barely leave their neighborhood.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebordella View Post
This goes back to personal lifestyle preference. I enjoy driving around LA and exploring new areas. I'd rather be chugging along through a new and interesting neighborhood than buried underground on a hot smelly subway. And I've been on plenty of hot smelly subway rides to know.

But again, this thread is about coming to LA from NYC. I don't buy the point of view that most NYC residents are hitting the corners of every borough on the magical tube system every weekend.
During weekends and nights they do construction on the subway. At times entire lines are out of service during weekends or nights when they do construction work. So weekend travel by subway here is often HORRIBLE.

50% of households in NYC have cars, and there's a reason for it.

The lay off of the train system isn't that good. For me to go from the North Bronx to Central Queens is at most 25 minutes if I drive. By train its 2 HOURS.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,367,097 times
At any rate, the LA Metro system is absolutely pathetic compared to the MTA in NYC.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM

64 posts, read 133,718 times
There is no way 50% of people in Manhattan have cars. Maybe if you are counting all 5 Boros.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM

4,646 posts, read 4,521,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
The whole "four seasons" argument makes me laugh...I hear that from so many NYers who cannot imagine living somewhere else..I feel bad for people who are stuck here for the rest of their lives
To each, their own. I miss the summer thunderstorms and the winter blizzards. Shoveling, puddles on the street corners, dirty snow and icy walks. I actually do miss it all.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisBlack View Post
There is no way 50% of people in Manhattan have cars. Maybe if you are counting all 5 Boros.
50% of people in ALL households in NYC have cars. 16% of households in Manhattan have cars. Manhattan is not all NYC.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
At any rate, the LA Metro system is absolutely pathetic compared to the MTA in NYC.
But since 50% of all households in NYC have cars, that tells you what a big percentage of New Yorkers think about the system here, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles