Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 AM

281 posts, read 306,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Like, totally well said.

The idea that the Valspeak dialect (along with skate and surf slang/dialect) permeated the English language really speaks to the cultural influence of LA/SoCal. And not only the dialect, but the way the Valley Girl look, behavior, and attitude spread across America as well. I too miss the Valley Girls of the 80's and early 90's. They were cute.
It most certainly shows the influence of Los Angeles. That is because of the huge music and movie industry that is located here, which can spread that influence. We need to keep and nurture that influence. That is why every tax break, every tax credit, every legal incentive the government can give should be offered to movies and record studios to continue to make their movies and records here in Los Angeles. California and Los Angeles have taxed and regulated themselves to near oblivion! Penalize the rest of us if you have to, but leave the movie studios alone! Make the climate favorable for them to still want to do business here. Movie makers would come, if only for the nostalgia, if you make the climate favorable for them to film here. And this doesn't just go for movies, it goes for all big business. If they aren't polluting the environment, leave them the hell alone and let them make money and create jobs!

Here's another thing, it's great that they are renovating downtown LA, it desperately needs it, but the area they should be focusing on is Hollywood! Los Angeles's popularity starts in Hollywood and spreads outward. Visitors should be amazed to see Hollywood, not grossed out! By all rights Hollywood should be almost as pretty as Laguna Beach or Sausalito! I don't care what it takes, raise a tax, create a bond, I don't give a damn, just make Hollywood the beacon of light that it should have always been! It's prosperity literally affects the whole state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleto84 View Post
Where might all the old school Valley natives be today? Did ya stay or leave?
Some people say they've moved to Arizona, Colorado, etc. I don't doubt that some of them did move, but I don't think the numbers are as high as some might think. As bad as things can be, California is a hard place to move from, and harder to stay away from once you've moved. Plus, I think humans in general have a tendency to want to "go back home" at some point in their lives. Considering most who did move would have moved due to marriage, combined with the high divorce rate, many have probably moved back. My guess is many of them are still there, or have moved to areas that are still nice, but a bit cheaper so they could get more bang for their buck. (Chino Hills, diamond bar, Corona Hills, etc.)

Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I agree The Valley in the 80s was wonderful what I was told. I came in to LA in 1989 the tail end of the good years.......... Where is the The Valley of the 80s today?
Time is what happened to it. Of course we can pinpoint certain incidents, (the riots, Northridge earthquake) but the definitive answer is time. The sad truth is the world is slowly getting worse, not better. I mean that on a whole. Sure, there are some areas that are seeing decreases in crime, etc., but overall the attitudes and demeanors of people are just getting worse. The valley girls for instance wouldn't have the same level of innocence even if they were all still there and still 16. Gangsta Rap and morale busting television shows have seen to that. And I say this as someone who was black and by no means a religious fanatic!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
Quote:
Where is the San Fernando Valley today of yesteryear?
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...rls-white.html

Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,828 times
Quote:
Where might all the old school Valley natives be today? Did ya stay or leave?
They moved, OC, Ventura, SD, Zona, and Nevada. Had a coworker, recently, who was a legit 80s Valley Girl. Nice girl but, that was not her normal speech. You knew she was from the Valley but she didn't talk like THAAAAAAAAAHT!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,930,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wow that thread went on for 2 years.

Last edited by Miss Pip; 06-28-2013 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 11:44 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,899,617 times
A Valley girls poem.

Valley Girl Poem | Poems at The Poetry Showcase

Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimous View Post
They moved, OC, Ventura, SD, Zona, and Nevada. Had a coworker, recently, who was a legit 80s Valley Girl. Nice girl but, that was not her normal speech. You knew she was from the Valley but she didn't talk like THAAAAAAAAAHT!
Well no, I don't suspect she would talk like that now? But tell me, how did you know she was from the valley? Did anything about her voice or speech give it away? Also, what kind of job did she do? It would be interesting to know how successful the valley girls became.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Wow that thread went on for 2 years.
Well in your last thread, there was misinformation being spread around. I was born and I was around all over Southern California during that time. I just wanted to set something straight, as well as a plot those beautiful young girls who actually celebrated wealth and prosperity, rather than ghetto!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 AM

367 posts, read 668,954 times
the valley sucks now, it seemed even worse back then

no thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles