Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 PM

52 posts, read 75,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
No I don't care to know who you are, but I only point it out because your threads are all the same schtick: childish trolling to p1ss people off. Obsess much? You even started the same thread topic twice in this same forum. Can you not find another tree to bark up?

Anyways, to answer your original *question* (assuming you actually wanted an answer), why so many people hating on the big LA?? In all honesty: take a look in the mirror, re-read some of your own posts. If you still can't figure it out, you never will.

You are absolutely out of your mind. I have no idea what you're problem is, but I would recommend staying in Wisconsin and never ever coming back here.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Los Angeles #5
World's 10 most hated cities | CNN Travel

Los Angeles #1
1 - Houston Chronicle

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ajor-city.html

Right View from the Left Coast: Los Angeles Only SECOND Most Hated City In The United States?!

America Hates Los Angeles, Poll Says: LAist

Why Do I Hate L.A.? | Nomadic Matt's Travel Site

And the kicker, 1982 Eastern Conference Finals, Philly closing out Boston to play the Lakers in the Finals. Fans IN BOSTON urging Philly to Beat LA (and Boston and Philly hate each other - just not as bad as they HATE LA)

The birth of "BEAT L.A" - YouTube
Gotta love the Internet. It gives voice to so many opinions unsubstantiated by anything other than cherry picking. I pay little heed to opinion pieces - 10 Best States for Retirement, 10 Worst States for Retirement, Best Beaches in the U.S., Worst Beaches in the U.S., Most Popular Cities, Least Popular Cities, Best Loved Cities, Most Hated Cities. There must be a million of them on line and in the final analysis it all comes down to individual likes, dislikes and opinions. Everyone usually just ends up making up their own minds.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,544,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Gotta love the Internet. It gives voice to so many opinions unsubstantiated by anything other than cherry picking. I pay little heed to opinion pieces - 10 Best States for Retirement, 10 Worst States for Retirement, Best Beaches in the U.S., Worst Beaches in the U.S., Most Popular Cities, Least Popular Cities, Best Loved Cities, Most Hated Cities. There must be a million of them on line and in the final analysis it all comes down to individual likes, dislikes and opinions. Everyone usually just ends up making up their own minds.
I'm glad you found that, mostly because it confirms my recollection of the origin of the chant.

I remember watching that game as a kid. Even then I thought, "what a bunch of jealous losers."

Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 PM

363 posts, read 511,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Heck, there are people in San Francisco and even San Diego that "hate on" L.A. Some of that is the sports rivalries, but it is usually more than that. I think in the Midwest (I grew up there my first 12 years), it is not so much directed toward LA specifically as the "cities on the East and West coasts" needing to be more respectful and not consider it all flyover territory.

I can't speak for the attitude toward LA in the South. I have only been to Florida on vacation (20 years ago) and do not know anyone there.

So true. My uncle lives in San D and will never visit here. He and his friends/neighbors make snide remarks about LA whenever I go down to visit. In my experience, San Diegans seem more hateful than San Franers.

On the flip side, I constantly deal with pretentious members of the LA academe community try to undermine or "hate on" New England via snide comments, etc... but I've never heard anyone in NE say anything negative about LA or California. NYC, different story.

In the South, I've experienced more people hating cities in general- not LA in particular, but ALL cities (outside the South, anyway). Can't speak to the Midwest.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,691,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
So true. My uncle lives in San D and will never visit here. He and his friends/neighbors make snide remarks about LA whenever I go down to visit. In my experience, San Diegans seem more hateful than San Franers.

On the flip side, I constantly deal with pretentious members of the LA academe community try to undermine or "hate on" New England via snide comments, etc... but I've never heard anyone in NE say anything negative about LA or California. NYC, different story.

In the South, I've experienced more people hating cities in general- not LA in particular, but ALL cities (outside the South, anyway). Can't speak to the Midwest.
Just what do they say about New England? Just curious.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 AM

363 posts, read 511,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Just what do they say about New England? Just curious.
That the architecture is boring or unimaginative; that the culture is too traditional/boring; that the food is boring; that the population is not diverse, etc...

None of these things are true, of course.
I've talked with people at UCSD about it and they've heard similar stuff from LA people. It's like the people at CSU and UCLA have this sort of thing where they feel the need to one-up. I don't know why, but it's irritating, to say the least.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
That the architecture is boring or unimaginative; that the culture is too traditional/boring; that the food is boring; that the population is not diverse, etc...

None of these things are true, of course.
I've talked with people at UCSD about it and they've heard similar stuff from LA people. [B [It's like the people at CSU and UCLA have this sort of thing where they feel the need to one-up. I don't know why, but it's irritating, to say the least.[/b]
Paranoia and poor self-image as related to where they live and where many are financially/economically stuck.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,650,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You'll be back in LA in two years.
Possible but somewhat unlikely. I would move back given the opportunity, but my girl friend has 1 more year of medical school and considering how competitive residencies (especially in CA) are these days, there is no guarantee that we will end up in LA or even anywhere in CA.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 PM

132 posts, read 170,594 times
Yeah because the South has horrible weather...

People dislike L.A. because the cities population is largely not grounded in reality. After reading this thread it appears to be a true sentiment.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,572,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
Yeah because the South has horrible weather...

People dislike L.A. because the cities population is largely not grounded in reality. After reading this thread it appears to be a true sentiment.
And Middle America is low on creativity and innovation, high on paternalism. See how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles