Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

Friday night, I took the Tbird for a little cruise, and turned onto York from Eagle rock blvd.
Between avenue 50, and 52 it was just like old town in Pasadena.
Many, many people out and about, eating in restaurants (some tables out on the sidewalk), and one thing that caught my eye was a small art gallery, with tons of people inside as well as on the sidewalk out in front of the gallery.
That area has certainly changed.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times
You are closer to the freeway there and would be somewhat noisy. Not a bad area at all but I prefer York to Figueroa. Great little "scene" on York, starting at Avenue 50 and east of there. I've lived in HP for 15 years and it has changed quite a bit for the better although there is still gang activity. Basically if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
You are closer to the freeway there and would be somewhat noisy. Not a bad area at all but I prefer York to Figueroa. Great little "scene" on York, starting at Avenue 50 and east of there. I've lived in HP for 15 years and it has changed quite a bit for the better although there is still gang activity. Basically if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.
Thank you so much! Sounds like it will be fine for us - gang activity / graffiti / drug dealing doesn't bother me all that much as long as they leave us alone.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
This is slightly off topic, but still related to Eagle Rock. Make sure you go to Cafe Beaujolais on Colorado if you like French bistro style food. The atmosphere, waiters, food, and price makes it a must for me every time I'm in town.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Thank you so much! Sounds like it will be fine for us - gang activity / graffiti / drug dealing doesn't bother me all that much as long as they leave us alone.
You're welcome! Do check out York between Avenue 50 & 52 if you haven't already done so. Also, you are probably aware the Gold Line station is a walkable distance from Figueroa and Avenue 50 so zipping into downtown LA is a snap!
The Highland 3 theater on Figueora offers first run movies at very low prices - a caveat though; the theater is kinda shabby and some of the customers act like they are in their living room. I go over to The Vista in Silverlake/Los Feliz, but the Highland 3 isn't a bad deal.
Lots of groecery stores around too so lots of variety and great foodstuffs!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
You're welcome! Do check out York between Avenue 50 & 52 if you haven't already done so. Also, you are probably aware the Gold Line station is a walkable distance from Figueroa and Avenue 50 so zipping into downtown LA is a snap!
The Highland 3 theater on Figueora offers first run movies at very low prices - a caveat though; the theater is kinda shabby and some of the customers act like they are in their living room. I go over to The Vista in Silverlake/Los Feliz, but the Highland 3 isn't a bad deal.
Lots of groecery stores around too so lots of variety and great foodstuffs!
Cool deal, thanks for this too. We are sort of deciding between a place in downtown Pasadena and a place in Highland Park - each with their own set of pros and cons (more related the the apartments themselves) for our situation. Either way I think we will be spending a lot of time in downtown Highland Park and downtown Pasadena (and of course DTLA) since they are so close and both linked by the Gold Line.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:08 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-trav...l_fblike%22%5D

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I'm looking into renting a house in August. The area is called "Highland Park". One of the windows has a view of the mountains in the distance. No address of course but the website is reliable.

Inside of the house looks very nice.

It's right near York Blvd and Figueroa.

Any advice on this area?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Another local tip: Avenue 52 and Monte Vista. Monte 52 serves food at La Tropicana Market. Parking tough but easy to bike or walk if you're off Fig or nearby in Mt Wash.
Monte 52 - Los Angeles Restaurant - MenuPages Sandwiches, Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurant Search

Old 02-11-2014, 09:54 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'm looking into renting a house in August. The area is called "Highland Park". One of the windows has a view of the mountains in the distance. No address of course but the website is reliable.

Inside of the house looks very nice.

It's right near York Blvd and Figueroa.

Any advice on this area?

York and Fig are a bit busy as far as vehicle and foot traffic are concerned.
Having lived just east of Highland park for years, I am use to the piece and quiet, which is not the case in the area you are looking at.
Three minutes east is South Pasadena, and the small village of Hermon, which is where I live, and have rental property.
Great views of the mountains, without all that racket from congested Highland Park.
Don't get me wrong, I love Highland Park.
It has plenty of great shops and places to dine out, but once I am east of the #110, I know I am home.
It is centrally located so that downtown, and Pasadena are but a short commuting distance away.
I just like the peace and quiet.
If you like the rapid pace of a busy area, then York/ Fig is for you.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles