Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 AM

2 posts, read 16,831 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I live in Los Angeles (luckily in an apartment building with rent control) and so far we've been having quite a bit of drama at the complex. All of these problems have happened mainly because our manager is never here (he has a boyfriend who owns a house and stays at his place 95% of the time).

Are there any laws that require a manager or supervisor at the apartment building?

I couldn't find any in my search. The owner is very stingy to say the least so if he could do without one, I know he would, but he has one that doesn't even live in the apartment building! Any information leading to the specific sections of the housing code that answers my question, or any other legal info would be EXTREMELY helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:57 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,987,732 times
There has to be an on-site manager for a building with over 16 units. That doesn't mean they have to be there 24/7.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 16,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
There has to be an on-site manager for a building with over 16 units. That doesn't mean they have to be there 24/7.
Thanks, sounds like that's what I needed but do u know where in city/state apt law that would state this? I know they don't need to be there 24/7, but having a manager there only a few hours every two weeks is a bit ridiculous.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,095 times
For Apt complexes in San Bernardino..when does it have to have an on-site manager to live there..how many apts?

Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,059 times
What is the maximum rent that can be charged to on onsite manager for a 16 unit building>?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,223,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meworkhard View Post
What is the maximum rent that can be charged to on onsite manager for a 16 unit building>?
$451.89 for a single person,
$668.46 for a couple.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
Lets say someone is living in an apartment and paying full rent. While living at the complex they accept a job for the property management company and the rent is reduced. Can the remainder be considered part of the pay? If they leave the job but remain in the apartment the rent will then increase.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Lets say someone is living in an apartment and paying full rent. While living at the complex they accept a job for the property management company and the rent is reduced. Can the remainder be considered part of the pay? If they leave the job but remain in the apartment the rent will then increase.
Managers must be paid at least minimum wage. Other laws manager pay are on a city by city basis. Some cities have no laws on it, some do.
The pay I posted in my previous post is for the city of los angeles.
When a manager accepts a job and then leaves the job but remains in the apt the terms of the tenancy change and the rent is not necessarily determined by pay or reduction of pay. The rent at a change in the terms of tenancy is also determined by the city's laws on the matter. Most cities have no rules on this BTW. Rent control laws do effect this also.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
Lets say that a guys ex-wife has a job for an apartment complex that she has been living at for some time now and now gets reduced rent. The guy pays child support to his wife even though he has the kids 50% of the time. Her income for the apartment complex is similar to what she was making before accept for the fact that now she is paying 25% of what she did in rent before and now pays no utilities, cable, or anything else. The reason for the question is he wants to take her back to court and have his child support reduced because her living arangements and expenses have changed. As far as we know we told him the courts don't care about her expenses only her income. So is the rent part of an income package?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:05 AM

The rent reduction would not be considered income on a tax return. The IRS might argue that if you were audited and they might win it if it got to court, which is unlikely. The owner of the building would not declare the reduction in rent as a payroll expense, he would just end up declaring lower income from the rent on that apartment. These are arguments that should be presented to a judge to determine if it is income or not.
In your case it is up to the judge whether or not it is income. Judges do whatever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles