Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 14,560 times

Advertisements

I currently live in AZ and in about 3 months I will be starting a new job in Long Beach. I have been to the place on vacation and have loved it, but have noticed its rougher spots. I was wondering though if there is any advice on whether is is a nice place to live-or is it getting where those "rougher" spots are growing? Or should I live in a nearby location and just commute, like Torrance or San Pedro? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Long Beach does have some nice and 'safe' pockets. Lakewood is the residential town full of families and such. But it's been a while since I have been there so the 'bad' aspect may have creeped in. I think Lakewood is nicer than Torrance. San Pedro, when I was there, had the tag line 'where the debris meets the sea'. Cerritos could be an area to look into, Seal Beach when I was there was more retired people, so free from gang activity.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 14,560 times
Thanks for the response! I was also wondering if anyone would know whether it is really true the water in the LB beach is polluted?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 PM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
In what part of Long Beach will you be working? Generally the eastern side of the city that borders Orange County (ZIP codes 90808 and 90815) is the safest, if you're looking to avoid the rougher parts of town. The nearby cities of Los Alamitos, Seal Beach, Lakewood (where I live) and Cerritos are also good choices.

If you're a younger person with an active lifestyle, the Belmont Shore area of town might be a good fit. Check out the following website for that area: Belmont Shore, Shop. Dine. Indulge. Shop Local.

As far as the water at the beach being polluted, I really can't answer that since I don't go to the beach (I'd rather go to the public pool, but that's just me). The beaches do get crowded during the summer, so apparently whether or not the water is polluted doesn't deter them...too much.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:26 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
We never went to the beach in Long Beach because there is no surf there. The break water prevents it.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Try posting on the LA forum you'll get more responses.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 20,018 times
Default neighborhoods

If you take a look at a map of long beach and drew a triangle with three coordinates: Cal State Long Beach, the convention center, and belmont shore, this is the safer, nicer area.

Generally speaking, the further west and north you get in Long Beach the rougher it gets.

Oh, and the water is disgusting. The LA river dumps into Long Beach, and the breakwater prevents the water from moving. I've lived here 10 years and when I do go swimming I make the drive to other coastal towns.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM

192 posts, read 326,324 times
I second Belmont Shores, great little stretch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles