Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,098 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're a young, Jewish family moving from Dallas to LA. We're really leaning towards the Pico-Robertson area, but it seems that the cost of living is about 2.5 times more than in Dallas. We are Modern Orthodox Jews and want to live in a neighborhood with synagogues, kosher restaurants, schools, etc. within walking distance.

If I made, say, $100k in Dallas and lived comfortably in a 2,000 sq ft home with 2 cars and the usual trappings of a yuppy lifestyle, how much would I need to make in LA to live a similar lifestyle? $250k? Is there a convenient "multiplier" I can use to determine cost of living in LA generally and/or Pico-Robertson specifically?

Thanks for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 AM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
One of these cost of difference calculators may help:

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

I take these calculations with a "grain of salt" since everyone's financial situation is different. The housing in Southern California is what is much more expensive than in the DFW area.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Pico/Robertson, or I would say Beverlywood the area immediately south of it, isn't too expensive. I'd say 100k a year is close to the median salary in Pico/Robertson and Beverlywood. However, to have the comfort you had in Dallas may require double the salary, so you would likely downsize here. And yes that is the area you want to live in if you want to walk to tons of synagogues, kosher eateries, and orthodox Jewish establishments.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:35 AM

363 posts, read 514,316 times
Pico Robertson is a heavy renter's neighborhood, not really a "yuppy lifestyle" neighborhood, except on the outskirts where it transitions into "nicer" neighborhoods.

75% renters and the average household income is $65k--a LOT of run down, trashy apartment buildings not renovated since the 50's. Small apartments packed with large families. There's a few newer, nice condo buildings, but living in them still places you next to the trashy buildings. I mean toilets in front yards, old mattresses on the sidewalk, loudness + thin walls/windows (you can hear folks in the next building eat dinner, argue and watch TV), and "handyman" construction at strange hours.
Landlords can be sketchy, especially at the run-down buildings. However, it's very safe. A small amount of property crime- mostly theft from cars.

There's also a heavy Persian population in P/R, so hopefully you have no problem living among Muslims.

There' a single-family-house neighborhood just East of La Cienega & North of Pico called Carthay you may want to check out. It's nicer; gardens, green lawns, nice clean streets, mostly all homes, etc... Carthay does trick-or-treating for the kids, too.

There's no direct multiplier, but you might live alright on $250k- that's up to you, but I think it would be tight with kids. A 3 bed 2000ft home around P/R or Carthay runs around 1.2 mil, give or take (and they will not be brand new like Dallas suburb McMansions). The smaller homes or condos start around $700k and they may have not been renovated in some time. Groceries are expensive- at least $300/week for a family and that's if you coupon and buy on sale only. Private school is expensive. Gas is expensive $4.50/gallon usually, though I've seen it over $5 recently.

Last edited by 5pyg1a55; 07-07-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 11:55 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
There is also a large Orthodox enclave in the SanFernando Valley in North Hollywood, around Burbank Boulevard, Whitsett Avenue and Oxnard Streets.

Way less expensive there.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
I would also look into the valley. Pretty much any neighborhood along the 101 will have good sized Jewish population with the accompanying synagogues and kosher markets. The further west you go the less expensive the housing is. Woodland hills may be a good option depending on where you will be working. You could survive on $100k there, but you'll probably need to rent an older, smaller home. 2000+sf is a luxury in most of LA.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 PM

141 posts, read 204,096 times
LA doesn't have that many Orthodox Jews unlike N.Y.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
...There's also a heavy Persian population in P/R, so hopefully you have no problem living among Muslims.
I've hardly see many Muslims in LA. In Encino there's a lot of Persian Jews but not Muslims.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,098 times
Thank you guys for such great answers. Didn't really expect it.

Quote:
75% renters and the average household income is $65k
That's surprising. With some of the home prices I've seen, both for purchase and rent, it doesn't seem like $65k could go very far.

I'm glad to hear that the neighborhood is safe, though, given that it's so urban and so densely populated. Is it safe enough, though, to send my kids two blocks down the street to a park on their own?

Does traffic tend to stick to the main thoroughfares?

What business sectors do most people work in? What are the most common occupations for those who own their homes? What about renters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles