Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
FYI:
The white tennis couple that you know, would therefore be "Afrikaner American" not African American. Also, If a black South African relocated to the states, they would be South African American, not African American. African American is a term used by blacks who have slave ancestry in this nation. The label "African American" is used, because most blacks with slave ancestry do not know where exactly their ancestors originated from in Africa. Newly arriving Africans clearly know their lineage, therefore if they chose to hyphenate their ethnic background, they would be Nigerian American, South African American, Senegalese American, Kenyan American etc... etc.
African American is not clearly defined, and people at times apply it to people who have no southern connections.

Also, when I was in Paraguay, they called the Blacks there afroamericanos (Afro Americans). So in the Spanish speaking contexts, sometimes Blacks in Latin America are called African Americans or Afro Americans.

President Obama, with a Kenyan father, has surely been called African American at times and he wouldn't object to the label.

A lot of people use African American interchangably with Black. But not all Black Americans call themselves African American. At any rate, just like any other label, its nebulous and can mean many different things. So in other words, don't take it so seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM

428 posts, read 848,753 times
I grew up in so cal and now live in the south. I would not advise any African American to move to Los Angeles. Between 2000 and 2010 Los Angeles county lost nearly 75,000 African Americans. African Americans are not moving to Los Angeles anymore. It is hard to find work and you will be the fourth long lost minority in California after Hispanics, Whites, and Asians. There is not a strong Black middle class in So cal either. You have the Baldwin Hill area and that is it. The rest of the middle class Blacks are spread out in thru the region in majority hispanic, asian, or white cities. Cost of living is to high. Also Mexicans and Blacks to do not get along in Los Angeles. I could go on and on but I spare you. I would chose Atlanta word to the wise is usually sufficent. Bottom line is Blacks are not moving to California any more. For every one Black who moves there 3 leave.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:27 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
In Los Angeles, the Fox Hills area of Culver City may be your best bet. You'll have to rent though. This is an area that still has good sized professional AA population, though it is shrinking. The area is fairly safe and the school serving this area is very good. You can find affordable rent here too.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:30 PM

106 posts, read 171,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
I grew up in so cal and now live in the south. I would not advise any African American to move to Los Angeles. Between 2000 and 2010 Los Angeles county lost nearly 75,000 African Americans. African Americans are not moving to Los Angeles anymore. It is hard to find work and you will be the fourth long lost minority in California after Hispanics, Whites, and Asians. There is not a strong Black middle class in So cal either. You have the Baldwin Hill area and that is it. The rest of the middle class Blacks are spread out in thru the region in majority hispanic, asian, or white cities. Cost of living is to high. Also Mexicans and Blacks to do not get along in Los Angeles. I could go on and on but I spare you. I would chose Atlanta word to the wise is usually sufficent. Bottom line is Blacks are not moving to California any more. For every one Black who moves there 3 leave.
'

Over-generalizing I think.

I am from the South and wouldn't move back there to save my life. I would DIE first. I visit my family, go home on holidays (when forced) and leave as quickly as possible. Different strokes for different folks.

I am in DC now, but I am moving back to LA this December.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:32 PM

66 posts, read 142,049 times
As most people have said I would make a trip out at least once or twice to be sure about the move. I lived in Alexandria (Kingstowne) for 4 years while my husband was in the AF. We actually still own a TH there. I have been looking at CA a lot myself since my husband has retired from the AF and his new job is in Redondo Beach, CA. I am still back in CO with my two kids 10 & 12 because we are not sure that moving us all to CA is the best option. The cost of living is far more expensive than VA and the price of a home is pretty much out of our reach for the areas that we would like to live based on good schools and proximity to my husbands job. Just to give you an idea, my husband rents a 1400 sq ft. house with a friend in Redondo (not on the beach). They split a rent of $2850 a month. Also, that house was just purchased last year for $540,000. I would certainly not move there without a job lined up. The economy is still pretty bad. I know a lot of people retiring from the military after 20 years and are having a difficult time finding work.

Just continue to do as much research as you can. I have been on these boards myself seeking information to help in making a decision about moving when the time comes. If you want you can direct message me with any other questions you might have. I also lived in the Los Angeles area once before while my husband was still in the air force. I can answer questions about commutes and other things since I've lived in both Alexandria and LA.

Last edited by Marie87; 07-11-2013 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCburn View Post
'

Over-generalizing I think.

I am from the South and wouldn't move back there to save my life. I would DIE first. I visit my family, go home on holidays (when forced) and leave as quickly as possible. Different strokes for different folks.

I am in DC now, but I am moving back to LA this December.
You seem angry with all the I would die first stuff. You cannot argue with numbers and the math shows Blacks are leaving Los Angeles. Pont blank period end of discussion. Numbers also indicate Blacks are moving back to the south point blank period.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
You should speak for yourself, as you aren't the queen or the voice of all African Americans. I am an African American. I am moving to Los Angeles because I work in the film industry, which does not exist in the Sout. I love beach areas. I speak Spanish and have lived in Hispanic neighborhoods in NYC. Graduate of Cornell University here, so I've been around lots of whites and asians. I love being in cool areas and the cool parts of town.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
You seem angry with all the I would die first stuff. You cannot argue with numbers and the math shows Blacks are leaving Los Angeles. Pont blank period end of discussion. Numbers also indicate Blacks are moving back to the south point blank period.
Who gives a crap what Blacks are doing? If other Black people want to live in the South, let them. I sure won't be going! I don't care if some Black people do whatever, I think for myself. Its why I have never joined the big number of Black men in jail, and why I have an Ivy League degree.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM

15 posts, read 15,715 times
I think that regardless of whether you can find a significant African-American population or community in Southern California, the high cost of rentals/real estate here are a real negative. At the budget amounts that you gave ($1200 for a rental, $215,000 for a house) you would have an incredibly difficult time finding something that would be suitable to raise a child. Especially one to whom you have promised a yard

Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You should speak for yourself, as you aren't the queen or the voice of all African Americans. I am an African American. I am moving to Los Angeles because I work in the film industry, which does not exist in the Sout. I love beach areas. I speak Spanish and have lived in Hispanic neighborhoods in NYC. Graduate of Cornell University here, so I've been around lots of whites and asians. I love being in cool areas and the cool parts of town.
Most Black films and film makers as well as many others are filming in Atlanta and New Orleans. NEw Orleans and Atlanta republican and more conservative governments give film makers tax credits for filming in there. What planet are you living on. You will be one of millions in California who had foolish dreams of moving to Cali and making it big. It does happen for a few but not most so good luck with that.

Atlanta stealing L.A.’s thunder? | The Buzz

I back up what I say with facts. You can argue all day with facts if you want to but you cannot change them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles