Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,781 times

Advertisements

Hey I may land a job at an architecture firm in Culver City which I believe is in West L.A. My trouble is that I hear and read that Culver City is more for the newly married or older single crowd in terms of living.

I still would love to live the young 20s lifestyle for a few more years without living in a bedroom community. I have been to and experienced Silverlake and Korea town lifestyle and I really liked that vibe, the great concerts, tons of young fun people around, etc.

My sister lives in Silver lake and used to live in Echo park, so at least I have someone to help me around L.A. some of the time.

Where are the places near Culver that I could find housing that emit a similar vibe for young people? Or even where would I go to hangout and meet new young people around that area?

Or is it worth posting up in downtown and driving to Culver every morning? Is the traffic really bad on the 10 west in the morning? Is it easy to not use the highway in the morning to get to Culver?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

By the way I grew up in San Diego and went to school in San Luis Obispo so I have been used to the very chill easy going lifestyle but I also enjoy the fast paced hip scene + indie music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Plenty of singles in and around culver city I'm sure ...it's not a bedroom community .

Best thing would be to be near the downtown culver city area . It's not the same vibe as silverlake echo park or Korea town ,but you also have lower crime and its cleaner ..more livable I think .

Personally I think it's best to be as close to work as possible la traffic is worst in the nation. A long commute can be a buzzkill and not too conductive to a chill easy going lifestyle.

Do you imagine yourself needing to be in that indie music scene almost every day mon-fri ?

There are plenty of places to go out in culver city and you are near Venice and Santa Monica too and other areas .

Definitely not some isolated suburbs area where a young single person will feel out of place .

Old 07-20-2013, 04:55 PM

Haha no I don't think I will be out for shows all the time, but every week or two would be nice.

I am just trying to get more information about Culver City, the surrounding areas and how to live in L.A. because I am sure there are many similarities to living in San Diego but at the same time the two places are very different.

I've been looking on craigslist for housing and reading about the area and it does look like downtown Culver is the place for young people and I also was looking at a place near by called the Palms, and lastly I was looking into Mid-City.

Thanks for your input so far though.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 PM

16 posts, read 23,829 times
I'm kind of looking for the same vibe. I'd be moving from NYC. I want to be around young and fun people and get that vibe, but I also want the chill/beach vibe as well. If there's anything with a community feel kind of like Brooklyn...

Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 PM

374 posts, read 721,774 times
Santa Monica would probably be good if you are into hipster types.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:55 PM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Yes.
Or Silver Lake.

Though I heard they're going to be setting up hipster traps around town...better be careful.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 AM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
if hipster means 35 year old lawyers, graphic designers, and real estate agents. nowhere on the westside is truly a "hipster" neighborhood. culver city is nice but is more of a trendy gastropub & expensive art scene

You should check out downtown if you want to skip the car on your commute to work; you can ride the expo line to culver city from 7th & Flower. Otherwise I'd go for koreatown - very dense, walkable, and inexpensive and not terribly far from culver, though with density and grit it loses that SoCal beach vibe you're after

Last edited by hjt123; 07-21-2013 at 01:42 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 AM

16 posts, read 23,829 times
Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
if hipster means 35 year old lawyers, graphic designers, and real estate agents. nowhere on the westside is truly a "hipster" neighborhood. culver city is nice but is more of a trendy gastropub & expensive art scene

You should check out downtown if you want to skip the car on your commute to work; you can ride the expo line to culver city from 7th & Flower. Otherwise I'd go for koreatown - very dense, walkable, and inexpensive and not terribly far from culver, though with density and grit it loses that SoCal beach vibe you're after

Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM

Yeah this is good stuff thank you for the help. I would probably be looking at the downtown area, korea town sounds good and it really isn't that far from Culver. I am just okay with living away from the beach for a few years because I've had it my whole life in San Diego and I can go back to San Diego on the weekends to go surfing and play in the sun.

And not having to drive would be really nice too. What is he expo line? Is that a bus or the metro?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccarson View Post
Yeah this is good stuff thank you for the help. I would probably be looking at the downtown area, korea town sounds good and it really isn't that far from Culver. I am just okay with living away from the beach for a few years because I've had it my whole life in San Diego and I can go back to San Diego on the weekends to go surfing and play in the sun.

And not having to drive would be really nice too. What is he expo line? Is that a bus or the metro?

It's a light rail line. Probably about 30 minutes to Culver. Driving to work would be quicker if you live in Koreatown but you could also take the Purple Line subway to 7th & Flower and transfer to Expo if you don't wanna drive, which would probably end up being around 50 minutes

Last edited by hjt123; 07-21-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles