Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 9,681 times

Advertisements

I really want to go to UCLA but my GPA isnt good enough. I live in illinois wanting to become a screenwriter. Is it smart ti go to a LA community college and then transfer to UCLA or? I feel like I should of posted this on College Confidential.

Last edited by Count David; 07-25-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_inRockford View Post
I really want to go to UCLA but my GPA us good enough. I live in illinois wanting to become a screenwriter. Is it smart ti go to a LA community college and then transfer to UCLA or? I feel like I should of posted this on College Confidential.
California community colleges are very overcrowded and many students cannot get their required classes. Also you would have to pay high out of state tuition and high living costs in LA. I suggest taking the very short drive up highway 90 to the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Wisconsin Screenwriters Forum

Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Well you don't need to go to college to become a screenwriter.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Unfortunately, the UC's (including UCLA) give preference to California Community College students over other transfer students. UCLA is highly selective so even if you do the community college route in CA, you still need close to a 4.0 to be competitive for admission purposes.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 PM

767 posts, read 1,742,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
California community colleges are very overcrowded and many students cannot get their required classes. Also you would have to pay high out of state tuition and high living costs in LA. I suggest taking the very short drive up highway 90 to the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Wisconsin Screenwriters Forum
^This.

You might want to do what many California students have done which is to go to one of the perfectly good universities outside of CA.

Going to a CA university will probably take you >4 years because you won't always be able to get all your classes due to overcrowding, budgetary shortages, or both. A non-CA university will probably enable you to complete your undergrad in 4 years due to it having fewer students and better funding.

Going to a CA university will probably be more expensive if only due to the higher cost of living in CA. You'll pay more for off-campus rent here, more for food, more for (automobile) fuel, and more for pretty much everything. It's more expensive just being here. What? So you want to go to the beach or the mountains on the weekend? That'll cost you, too. I hope mom & dad are loaded or you'll struggle here.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 PM

121 posts, read 240,191 times
As a note though, UCLA does have strong transfer agreements with the LACCD schools.

See these stats from UCLA 2013 admissions for transfer students.

Profile of Admitted Transfer Students, Fall 2013 - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions

28.64% acceptance for CA community college transfer applicants versus 7.6% for out of state applicants.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,149,996 times
It may be tough for an out of towner such as yourself, especially with the tuition you'll have to pay, but LA's community college system is awesome, probably the best in the country. Budget issues have hurt a little, but summer classes are now back. I'm always taking classes and completing certificate programs at West LA College to advance myself. That school is not very crowded at all, so I'd look into it if I were you.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 AM

223 posts, read 470,516 times
If you're looking to save money then community colleges are the way to go. I spent two years at Mt San Antonio College in Walnut before I eventually transferred to Cal poly Pomona. At the end of the day, Cal Poly is what is on my diploma and I saved some money in the process.

If you didn't go balls out in high school and take the SAT's, or if you're just looking to save money on ever-increasing tuition costs, then community colleges are the way to go.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
I think Community Colleges are a good idea. Definitely a good option to save a lot of money.

So many people are racking a lot of debt because of some kind of 'stigma' against going to CC after Highschool.

I went to a community college (West LA College) and then transferred to USC.

If I tried to go straight out of hs, I might have not gotten into USC.

You have an advantage to transferring from a CC to UCLA or another 4yr college/university versus from a highschool.

I don't think a lot of people realize this.

There are ways to save a lot of money ,but some people prefer to rack up debt.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM

23,508 posts, read 23,980,674 times
Education is expensive, but it is not when compared to ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles