Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 PM

199 posts, read 400,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker011 View Post
the question is why doesn't our government spend the money and energy into fixing the place up? like I said before,MacArthur Park has the potential to be a huge tourist destination but the area needs to be cleaned first.
I don't see it. What is there that would bring tourists to MacArthur Park? There are plenty of beautiful parks in the city -- Doesn't make them tourist destinations. Also, fixing up the park won't change the fact that it's surrounded by some pretty shady residents. I doubt tourists will be swarming there unless they're looking to get mugged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
'Hispanic race'...?!?

When my little brother and me participated in Ciclavia a few weeks ago, we spent some time lounging around MacArthur Park on our way back down Wilshire. The people sleeping up the slope from the 'lake' were white, black and Hispanic. When my wife and I visited some 30 years ago it was the same distribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Racist or not, the statement is true.
You can find slobs in any race of people, but it seems more prevalent in the Hispanic race.
That is just a fact of life.
Bob.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Hispanic race.. lol, funny assumptions.

We are all a mix of everything. People think I'm filipino, think my brother is half black, and my youngest brother was called 2 different racial insults, one for asians, and for blacks..

My parents are from Mexico, my mom, Mexico City, my dad, Jalisco..

Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
CALGUY , have you spoken to the building owners ? If they don't live nearby maybe they don't even know what's going on.

Approach them as equals , property owners like yourself. Or is there a property manager that you know manages that property ?

I understand your frustration , I also have stuff that gets illegally dumped too. Most likely by people that dont even live right by the property . But blaming it on a group isn't a solution .

If its items being dumped illegally on city property then city is supposed to pick that stuff up . Of course they wont come instantly , but it's worth calling if you haven't done that .

I have only spoken to them once, when I first met them.
They don't live in the area.
I spoke with the building manager, but I think I get more positive response from my German Shepherd than him.
He wouldn't last five minutes working for me.
He is as much a part of the problem as his tenants.
As for others who don't actually live there, throwing their trash on the sidewalk, I don't think so, because the sidewalk was never like this until the new owners took over and rented to this bunch of lowlifes.
Bob.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
So save your breath and closeminded BS, I know plenty of Hispanics that are not slobs (in fact, most of the Hispanics I know). This has way more to do with low income people and not Hispanics. Glad you have an anecdote so you can make excuses for yourself and your prejudices.

Interestingly enough, as more and more Hispanics move into Los Angeles neighborhoods, notice how the crime rate has plummeted? Messy but nonviolent, I suppose.
Hmmm - so you correlate low income with lazy- throwing trash on the ground rather than placing it in a proper rubbish receptacle.

Maybe you are on to something - that could be why those people are low income - they won't go out and get a job.

On the other hand, they could be illegal immigrants who simply don't care about the community in which they live.

Harrier finds it interesting that you seem to contradict yourself in your last paragraph.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker011 View Post
the question is why doesn't our government spend the money and energy into fixing the place up? like I said before,MacArthur Park has the potential to be a huge tourist destination but the area needs to be cleaned first.
Believe it or not, it used to be much worse.

Now there aren't as many drug dealers in the park.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM

273 posts, read 672,755 times
OH, you guys may get a kick out of this article - Westlake is considered under the radar and is a good time to rent!

I will say St Andrews in mid-Wilshire is quite nice and cleaner from what you guys say - just off Beverly near Oakwood.

5 Los Angeles Rental Neighborhoods Under The Radar - Los Angeles - News - The Informer

LA Weekly published this in May.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Hmmm - so you correlate low income with lazy- throwing trash on the ground rather than placing it in a proper rubbish receptacle.
I don't correlate low income with lazy. Most low income people are working multiple jobs and are systemically kept in their income bracket. I guess you could glean that from my statement though, but it is not what I intended. I've worked since I was 16 and 2/3 of those jobs have been in fast food, retail, manual labor, construction, etc. Most of my low-income co-workers had more than one job - I don't call that lazy.

Quote:
Maybe you are on to something - that could be why those people are low income - they won't go out and get a job.
See above. Many have multiple jobs. It's laughable when people say "get a job" - guess what? That is not the reality of today's economy. You don't just go out and get a job like you used to be able to. I wish baby boomers would get that through their thick skulls that it isn't like when they were young and there were jobs just waiting to be taken.

Yes there are lazy low income people that don't have jobs and take advantage of our welfare state. I don't know why people insist on seeing them as representative of low income people. Probably because they have met or interacted with very few in their lifetime, other than to tell them which bushes to trim or if you want fries with it.

Quote:
On the other hand, they could be illegal immigrants who simply don't care about the community in which they live.
This is literally what I said in a previous post. Westlake is a transitional neighborhood, many residents may not see it as "home". Doesn't excuse it or justify it, just explains it.

Quote:
Harrier finds it interesting that you seem to contradict yourself in your last paragraph.
I'm not sure Munchitup knows what you mean, your majesty Harrier.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
I don't see it. What is there that would bring tourists to MacArthur Park? There are plenty of beautiful parks in the city -- Doesn't make them tourist destinations. Also, fixing up the park won't change the fact that it's surrounded by some pretty shady residents. I doubt tourists will be swarming there unless they're looking to get mugged.
Or you know, the country's best pastrami sandwich.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
As someone who's lived in LA for 60+ years, i can think of numerous areas which aren't nearly as tidy and pristine as they were back in the sixties, whether you're talking about Hollywood, the Westlake/Macarthur Park area, Pacoima, Van Nuys or numerous other areas.

The fact that the Westlake area is overflowing with Hispanics and tons of Hispanic-oriented retailers and restaurants shouldn't constitute grounds for denigrating the area and the folks who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles