Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,121 times

Advertisements

I am fresh out of high school, and looking to move to LA to start working on music. This would be a bold and brave decision, and I am not quite confident in making the choice. I would like to know:

Where are the cheaper middle-ish class living areas? I would prefer no more than a 30 minute commute to Hollywood area. I will most likely be living by myself as I have no plans of anyone coming with me so far. So, I would be looking at a one bedroom apartment.
What would be the average starting wage for a graduated 18 year old? I would need to be able to support myself, obviously.
My living standards would require quality internet, I do not need tv, parents will keep me on their phone, I believe I will also remain on their insurance, I will need water, electricity, and gas. I have my own vehicle, however the fuel economy on it is poor. But I have no plans of purchasing a new vehicle. And like I said, middle class.
I plan on attending community college, and like where ever I find work, it would have to be within 30 minutes or so.
What would the monthly cost of living be with renting my own apartment, paying for utilities including internet, gas for attending college and work daily, and food (I will try and keep on the cheap side of grocery shopping and plan to avoid fast food and restaurants)?
I plan to save up enough for the trip out there, and the first two months of rent, food, and other living expenses. How much would that be (minus the trip to LA)?

I do not care about climate, or area. It can be sunny, rainy, hilly, deserty, beachy. Also, my commute time can be upped if necessary, however the cost in rent must go down enough to accommodate the price in extra gas.

I have a friend in LA and he is the reason I am moving. However he already has an apartment and is full on roommates. But we are going to be getting our band on its feet.

Thank you in advanced. I can answer any questions on more specifics of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
What is your idea of a "CHEAP" apartment? 800 per month? $1500?
You said you plan to save up money, When exactly are you planning to move here? Its its waaaaay down the road, prices for living could change.
Also, just wondering, if you have a friend in LA, why don't you just ask them about where to live. He could probably help you better than message board strangers

Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
sorry, you and a thousand more each month want to move to Los Angeles and get into show business. You mention living near Hollywood, but not everything is in Hollywood. This shows you haven't done your research, you would have to have at least 7 to 10 thousand $$ to even consider the move. I advise you to stay where you are, get some work experience and some college under your belt. Then, maybe 5 years from now look at Los Angeles again. If you are any good, you don't need to move to Los Angeles to get your start. BTW, you say you want to get into music, are you thinking writing, singing, playing an instrument or what?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM

800$ is What i would consider cheap based off of what I have been reading. In three months or so is when I would plan on moving. I would just like a general idea. I understand prices and costs fluctuate. My friend works a lot, and is new to the area, so I haven't been able to ask much, and I don't anticipate his knowing as much as I would like to know.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 PM

367 posts, read 672,993 times
You have no work experience or education so getting a job would be difficult and if you did manage, it would be minimum wage. For those reasons I'd be very wary of making the move. Ask if you can sleep on your friend's couch/floor for a couple weeks while you search for a job and apartment

I think $3000 would be the minimum amount that I can recommend in good conscience.

you may be able to find a place w/ roommates for like $600 a month with a security deposit at another $600. Then you have food ($200) gas ($150) utilities ($75) internet ($25)

I would also get a bike and use that for most of your commutes save for the groceries/lugging instruments/10 mi + trips

Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 PM

I know that not everything is near Hollywood. My friend is located in that general area which is why I have chosen it. Five years from now, I will be in the Air Force. This is a now or never idea. I know I wouldn't have to move, but if one of the key components of my band already has a life in LA, I would be losing less to move rather than him. My friend gets to Jam with Eddie Van Halen, and is room mates with a professional musician. They have equipment at disposal, and our band would be better off situated near our lead guitarist. I write songs, I play bass, and I sing.

Correct and correct. I did expect minimum wage. I plan on sleeping on his couch while I set up work and living, so thank you for that advice. $3000 is right about where I would be hoping. Any recommendations on living locations? And I have a bicycle, so that would be very doable.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
At 18 and planning to get a menial job, there is no way you should have your own apartment. Get a roommate or two. You seem to have finances well-planned for someone your age, but you are really going to need thousands of dollars saved up in order to just get you going.

I'm 23 and did a move like this over the winter. I ended up getting the job I wanted and in less than a week, but one thing I learned in my move was how bad the economy really is. Even minimum wage jobs at 40 hours a week are hard to get.

Coming out here with only 2 months of savings is not the way to go. You'll be back home in no time. Take some time, you're just 18.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
What are you planning to do in "music"? Nobody needs to be in CA or 30 minutes from Hollywood to do anything.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
Hey, just to say something upbeat. Do this! When else you going to do it if not now. You're young, you sound pretty smart. You'll do fine. Or you won't, but at least you will have tried.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM

Again, I know nobody needs to be in California. However, my friend has done well to situate himself to best benefit the band relocating. He has his foot in the door and resources that would benefit the group. Okay, so let's assume I get an apartment with 2-3 other people to alleviate costs. What would still be a great location near the Hollywood, Burbank area with a decent community college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles