U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 AM

329 posts, read 978,791 times

Advertisements

I have never been able to understand this...it's a dense, relatively walkable community...it has so much potential to be a glamorous, high-end neighborhood. How come it's taken soooo long to clean it up, even til now it's not all that impressive. You'd think it'd be one of the prime areas to live in LA, not even because of its movie history, but simply because it's urban and has a subway going through it (therefore being very central and connected), in addition to lots of great architecture etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,858,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I have never been able to understand this...it's a dense, relatively walkable community...it has so much potential to be a glamorous, high-end neighborhood. How come it's taken soooo long to clean it up, even til now it's not all that impressive. You'd think it'd be one of the prime areas to live in LA, not even because of its movie history, but simply because it's urban and has a subway going through it (therefore being very central and connected), in addition to lots of great architecture etc.
What do you mean? I find it to be incredibly desirable... Rents reflect said desirability as being one of the highest in the city.

There are quite a few homeless people here, but that can be said of Santa Monica too.

Also, Hollywood is a huge neighborhood - the areas in East Hollywood and south of say, Sunset are pretty far removed from the glamor of Central Hollywood, and always have. They've always pretty much been working class / light studio industrial neighborhoods.

So are you basically asking why Hollywood is not some over-gentrified yuppy paradise?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM

25,302 posts, read 19,514,862 times
Well it has gotten better I believe. There's probably a lot more going on now than has been for decades.

It does definitely seem to be going higher end. Have you heard of this project being built?
Millennium Hollywood

I think that in general things take a long time in L.A . L.A isn't really and efficient city . Another thing is the homeless 'issue'. L.A seems reluctant to kick the homeless out so to speak. In another city in L.A county such as Burbank or Culver city they don't really tolerate homeless aggressively panhandling and loitering in their business districts.
The highend W hotel is right near the subway stop and it's a hangout for homeless people .

Another part of this is jobs and a lot of the big paying jobs aren't necessarily in the Hollywood area. You need lots of people with a lot of money in order to support a high end neighborhood.

Regarding the subway. Many people especially the richer or glamorous and high end people don't value the subway too highly. Many of them don't even know where it goes and have not taken it, and don't have a desire to take it. L.A isn't like NYC in regards to public transit. This could change as traffic gets even worse...although L.A is #1

Also parts of Hollywood like Hollywood Hills are very high end neighborhoods.

These are some of the reasons that Hollywood isn't a glamorous high end neighborhood like Beverly Hills.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM

7,209 posts, read 21,074,464 times
hollywood is a fairly large place and certain parts are very nice, even when you exclude the hills. Have you ever driven down fountain? those old, architectural apartments are very well kept and i'm sure expensive as well. also, hollywood blvd west of la brea is also very nice. on the southern end, you've got melrose and larchmont, which border hancock park. you are probably referring to the touristy area, which isn't in such demand, but that makes sense. living just off hollywood blvd is the equivalent of living off times square in NYC. i don't know about you, but i wouldn't want to interact with that volume of traffic and tourists on a daily basis.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,858,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
hollywood is a fairly large place and certain parts are very nice, even when you exclude the hills. Have you ever driven down fountain? those old, architectural apartments are very well kept and i'm sure expensive as well. also, hollywood blvd west of la brea is also very nice. on the southern end, you've got melrose and larchmont, which border hancock park. you are probably referring to the touristy area, which isn't in such demand, but that makes sense. living just off hollywood blvd is the equivalent of living off times square in NYC. i don't know about you, but i wouldn't want to interact with that volume of traffic and tourists on a daily basis.
I live on the Hollywood / Vine end, but I am only two blocks away from the Boulevard. I wouldn't say I interact with the tourists on a daily basis, maybe a few times a week at most. But yes, living that close to a major worldwide tourist attraction has its downsides. As far as traffic, one huge benefit of Central Hollywood is its close proximity to the 101.

And again, even the tourist-y adjacent areas have very high rents.

It's funny that people have their panties in such a bunch over the Millennium project when there are a dozen or so other large-scale projects going on in Hollywood. Development-wise, Hollywood is blowing up, probably in competition with SM for second-most large projects U/C behind DTLA.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:24 AM

25,302 posts, read 19,514,862 times
Yeah that is a good point . I was going to mention the tourists too. It is hard driving around that area with so many walking , which is why it's usually best to take the subway if possible.

Personally I like Hollywood Blvd area, there are some cool bars around there and it's interesting walking around.

Part of the appeal is that it's not isn't a very high end area like Beverly Hills or West Hollywood.

Beverly Hills especially doesn't really have anything cool to do ..especially for younger people.

There probably wouldn't be the same types of places around and super expensive restaurants and very high end retail doesn't appeal to me .

In the future I wouldn't be surprised to see Hollywood going more upscale...you can already see signs of it .

Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 22,900,273 times
There are folks in apartments there who've been there forever, dating back to the barrio / hood days. That said I sort of like the fact it's not plain vanilla. Especially the NE corner. It still has soul.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 PM

514 posts, read 829,963 times
There are homeless people everywhere in Los Angeles, not just Hollywood. Hollywood was considered a great area back in its golden age of glamour. It then entered a period of decline and now is finally experiencing a renaissance, with lots of new construction. Quick note about the Hollywood Hills: they are not entirely in Hollywood, some of the hills are located within West Hollywood city limits. Hollywood Hills East is considered less desirable than Hollywood Hills West.
Overall, Hollywood is considered less desirable because it went through a long period of neglect by the city of Los Angeles. There was decay, crime and dirt. It is unfortunate because it is an intricate part of the history of L.A. While in this terrible period, the demand for other more upscale, safer areas like Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Bel Air, Pacific Palisades, etc. became stronger. I do think it is now more desirable than it has been in a very long time.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 PM

52 posts, read 71,464 times
Active Gangs in the Hollywood section of the City of Los Angeles.

1. Clanton 14th Street (3rd Hood)
  2. Eighteen Street (HGS)
  3. La Mirada Locos (LML)
  4. Mara Salvatrucha (MS)
  5. Rebels
  6. The Magician Club (TMC)
  7. Tree Park Criminals
  8. Virginia Street (VST)
  9. White Fence (WF)
  10. Varrio Sur
9 active Hispanic gangs

Courtesy of Streetgangs.com

Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM

9,299 posts, read 8,475,253 times
Because the freaks have taken over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles