Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,386,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I believe this is the case. Back when I first began driving on a regular basis in 1991, drivers seemed to be far more aggressive than they are today. It really is a world of difference in my opinion compared to what it was back then -- I could go on and on with stories such as trying to merge into traffic from an on-ramp into the slow lane at 50 mph and getting the high beam treatment although I was merely 5 mph below the speed limit and the freeway had 4 other lanes to choose from, and so on. These days people are probably more so afraid of road-ragers who will follow you home and shoot you, beat your head in with a tire iron, etc. for showing unwarranted aggression.
That was what I was getting at. Driving in LA is a different experience then it was two decades ago.

In my experience worse drivers are:
Miami Florida (old people not paying attention)
Dallas (big pickup trucks going 90mph and always cutting you off)
Baltimore
NYC
Orlando (&#*@!#$% tourists!)
LA area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,416,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebordella View Post
This might not be a popular opinion but people who think LA drivers are rude and aggressive really need to travel more. Maybe they are aggressive by chill west coast standards, but LA drivers and their spacey nonchalance would get them rammed into a pulp in at least several east coast cities. And that's just the U.S.
I have seen much more inconsiderate rudeness in Sacramento and SF than I did in 45 years of driving, 14 of it commercial, in Los Angeles. Sure L.A. drivers can be speedy and impatient. But noticably more courteous than in the before mentioned areas as they do wait for you to cross without honking or speeding up as if only people in vehicles are allowed to access the roadways. There is a certain etiquette unique to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I'm only nice not because I'm a nice driver, but because I want to avoid confrontation and high blood pressure. So some jerk cuts me off... well I could flip the bird and honk the horn, but it only costs me maybe 10-20 seconds out of my life. Or you're a jaywalking idiot I just almost killed, well, the deed is already done. Am I gonna waste my time chasing you down and lecturing you, or am I going to get on with my day and forget it about it.
I agree with that sensible outlook and because defensive driving training means that the safety of others and myself matters to me. Hurrying and pushing along only increases your chance of a citation or worse, a bad accident.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 PM

23,297 posts, read 23,675,512 times
I would add Houston, Texas and Phoenix, AZ (many drivers from LA have moved there) to this list. I have found that the drivers in Seattle are the most courteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
That was what I was getting at. Driving in LA is a different experience then it was two decades ago.

In my experience worse drivers are:
Miami Florida (old people not paying attention)
Dallas (big pickup trucks going 90mph and always cutting you off)
Baltimore
NYC
Orlando (&#*@!#$% tourists!)
LA area

Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,085,257 times
agreed. Houston drivers are rude, and very aggressive for no reason. wish it was like LA's traffic.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 PM

13,571 posts, read 15,503,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
agreed. Houston drivers are rude, and very aggressive for no reason. wish it was like LA's traffic.
Do they try to bash each other with their hood mounted bull horns?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,795,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I have found that the drivers in Seattle are the most courteous.
Sure, when they don't have their faces buried in books, and when they aren't tailgating.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,386,818 times
Ah yes, Houston. Forgot to add them. I sorta lump them in with Dallas drivers though, they have similar habits.

Either way, those are two cities where I truly have been afraid to drive.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,085,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Do they try to bash each other with their hood mounted bull horns?

yup, but i usually just wave my cowboy hat at em and let them get their way. or take my horse through trails next time out.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:47 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,539,890 times
It cracks me up, my friends and family in Houston all drive much larger cars/trucks/SUVs, they think nothing of driving 30 miles each way to work or a mall they like across town or to visit friends at an ugly brown beach with brown water an hour away. Yet! They think I'm crazy for living in LA because gas here averages 70-90cents more per gallon. I always point out that I fill up once every two weeks and don't need to drive crazy distances and I think in general people here keep their life radii much shorter than Texans. But they still say, "Oh I couldn't pay $4 a gallon!" or they post a pic of their $3.20/gallon gas and ask if I miss Texas. Nope, no sir I do not.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM

193 posts, read 463,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I don't know. I've only been to DC and NY as far as major East coast cities go, but I've never had a problem with aggressive drivers until I moved here. Maybe drivers in the northeast are just more used to pedestrians, and LA drivers are very impatient?
I found NY drivers to be waaaay more aggressive. I dont think Ive had more than a few bad encounters over 7 years here. Really the most annoying thing is occasionally when crossing the street I can see that the person turning right is looking more to the other side at oncoming traffic, and it doesnt really bother me much. If they pull up too far I just walk behind the first car and its no big deal. I dont think Ive had a bad encounter with anything that didnt involve a taxi, the cab drivers can be nuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles