Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Lets not exaggerate ,The only way you should have been living in Poverty on 100k is if u have six figure school loans, forced yourself to live in Manhattan, and had car note in the 4-500 range, pay child support, and was dating or out drinking 3-4 nights a week.

NYC is the biggest rip off in the country no doubt, but 100k will not put you in poverty in any city in this country
Stop it.
You're ruining his dramatic moment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 05:58 PM

7 posts, read 10,741 times
I suppose that it depends on living well, but I know plenty of people (including myself) who live well and don't make anywhere near $350,000. So the answer is NO!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 PM

363 posts, read 514,216 times
Yes, definitely for an upper-middle life.

As others mentioned, by living "well", the article seems to mean owning a 3 or 4 bed home in one of the good areas in LA city (not the Valley or other greater areas), having 2 kids, spouse, private school, and extras to live comfortably, like vacations, dinners out, and nice furnishings. In that case, YES, you would need $350k or somewhere around there to live a middle to upper-middle-class lifestyle in a desirable area here.

As someone else pointed out, a mortgage loan is generally 3-4x one's income. Decent 3 bedroom homes in a nice LA area (beach city, West LA, Central LA, etc) start at million bucks. 2 bed condos are half million.

Can a childless couple live a middle-class lifestyle here on $100k if they rent a decent 2 bed for $2-$3k/month? Yes, of course. But It still won't be living as well as the article is talking about.

Can anyone find a way to live here (or in NYC) on much less? Of course! But they won't be living "well" in the way the article is trying to describe. It'll be getting by alright.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post

As others mentioned, by living "well", the article seems to mean owning a 3 or 4 bed home in one of the good areas in LA city (not the Valley or other greater areas), having 2 kids, spouse, private school, and extras to live comfortably, like vacations, dinners out, and nice furnishings. In that case, YES, you would need $350k or somewhere around there to live a middle to upper-middle-class lifestyle in a desirable area here.

As someone else pointed out, a mortgage loan is generally 3-4x one's income. Decent 3 bedroom homes in a nice LA area (beach city, West LA, Central LA, etc) start at million bucks. 2 bed condos are half million.

Can a childless couple live a middle-class lifestyle here on $100k if they rent a decent 2 bed for $2-$3k/month? Yes, of course. But It still won't be living as well as the article is talking about.

Can anyone find a way to live here (or in NYC) on much less? Of course! But they won't be living "well" in the way the article is trying to describe. It'll be getting by alright.
I take it they mean dinners out at expensive places.
In any case a family in L.A. often as not lives in apartments, including upscale families. That was true even when I was growing up.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
You can live nicely on far far less than that.... 9 million people in So Cal do it....

Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 PM

374 posts, read 721,611 times
Quote:

Hey man I drive a newer Honda Civic, eat at Chipotle for lunch, and have granite counter tops in my apartment! I don't make anywhere near 350k! You're crazy!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
I was paying 2k/month (half of my salary after taxes) on a 3rd floor walk up building, about 300 sq ft.

no elevator, no doorman. terrible infrastructure - had to call time warner every other day. 0 amenities.

2k on rent + utilities + metro card, and everything else overpriced. go to a sit down restaurant pay 40 / person. 15 dollars for a movie ticket, etc. u get the idea.

EDIT - a "normal" 1 bedroom apt in NYC, meaning, elevator in a building that is not falling apart, u'll be paying AT LEAST 2,800 - 3,000 / month.
As someone else stated, you didn't have to live that way. Plenty of one bedroom apts outside of Manhattan under 2k a month. Also, if 2k is what you were left with after taxes, then you're gross wasn't 100k to begin with.

I make mid 50's and I have a shade over 3k per month left after taxes and retirement get taken out. Im starting to think you made the whole thing up for dramatic purposes.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Hey man I drive a newer Honda Civic, eat at Chipotle for lunch, and have granite counter tops in my apartment! I don't make anywhere near 350k! You're crazy!

Do you also own your place (a 1.2 million dollar 3 bed home) , have a wife, 2 kids in private school (20k/yr), 2 car leases, and 2-3 air-fare based vacation per year??

That article is talking about affluent families of 4, not you. And it's not talking about people eating Chipolte either.

The article isn't talking about if a single person, couple or poor family can live in LA on 30 or 50k a year...it's talking about home owning people in affluent neighborhoods.

Did anyone here ever read the article?

Old 07-28-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
As someone else stated, you didn't have to live that way. Plenty of one bedroom apts outside of Manhattan under 2k a month. Also, if 2k is what you were left with after taxes, then you're gross wasn't 100k to begin with.

I make mid 50's and I have a shade over 3k per month left after taxes and retirement get taken out. Im starting to think you made the whole thing up for dramatic purposes.
It would be wise to pay 1/4 to 1/3 income on rent. For a person making 100k a year, that means more or less a rent between $2000-$2500/ month... that doesn't get you very much, even for a couple. Forget about kids-- You couldn't find a decent 3 bed place that didn't have decades of deferred maintenance in a nice area for that price. What 4-person family is crammed into an old, 2 bed apartment and is "living well"? lol

Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
It would be wise to pay 1/4 to 1/3 income on rent. For a person making 100k a year, that means more or less a rent between $2000-$2500/ month... that doesn't get you very much, even for a couple. Forget about kids-- You couldn't find a decent 3 bed place that didn't have decades of deferred maintenance in a nice area for that price. What 4-person family is crammed into an old, 2 bed apartment and is "living well"? lol
He wasn't talking about living well on $100k. He was addressing another poster's assertion that they were making $100k and living in poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles