Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM

83 posts, read 122,021 times

Advertisements

Hi LA City-Data Members,

I hope some of you will have some suggestions for me. My best friend's mother died last week in her Crenshaw apartment. My friend lives in NYC. She'd thought her mother was visiting friends when she didn't reply to her daily call for a couple of days, but then got nervous and started calling around to get someone to go check on her. It turns out her mother had died and had been lying in the apartment for several days. Her mother had some mental health issues and has left a kind of a hoarding situation. The landlord is taking care of cutting out the area of the carpet where her body lay all that time, but all the junk needs to be cleaned out and hauled away. Can anyone recommend a service that does this that is not exorbitantly expensive? The few places I called that specialize in this sort of service are charging over $3,000/day and say they usually take 2 days to do this size of apartment. There's no way my friend can afford anything like that, but I fear she'll have a nervous breakdown if she tries to deal with all this herself. Also, the apartment is not filthy, just cluttered, so it's principally and bagging and hauling job. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. We really need this information as quickly as possible.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Try this. A little out of town, but way less expensive:

Oxnard Crime Scene Cleanup

Old 08-06-2013, 04:46 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Why is your friend on the hook for this cost?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Take your time- get a friend with a pick up and go at it....or just rent a large cube van and empty the place.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM

223 posts, read 523,760 times
$3000/day? Couldn't she fly out and then go down to Home Depot and pick up a few day laborers to throw everything away? They also sell large heavy duty junk garbage bags just for that job. Even enough room to buy some pizza and beer for the cheap help.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 PM

Thanks, everybody. My friend's already out in LA, but today she's been swamped trying to deal with some sort of confusion as to where the police took her mother's body, so I've been making calls for her from Albuquerque. I started off calling disaster and hoarding clean-up places, because that's what the police suggested. That's where I got the $3000-type quotes. After posting here, I realized basic hauling services are the way to go, as Oleg Bach and buzzkillb advised. The best place I found was called JunkJunk Los Angeles. But then I started thinking along the lines of JohnG72's question. Why should my friend be on the hook for this cost? The apartment is just full of clutter, it's not damaged, or hazardous, or vermin-infested. And the building owner has a $1500 deposit and a pretty great maintenance team. Maybe my friend should just take the few bits of memorabilia she wants to keep and leave the rest to him, telling him to keep the deposit and to feel free to throw away everything. What do you think?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowly104 View Post
Thanks, everybody. My friend's already out in LA, but today she's been swamped trying to deal with some sort of confusion as to where the police took her mother's body, so I've been making calls for her from Albuquerque. I started off calling disaster and hoarding clean-up places, because that's what the police suggested. That's where I got the $3000-type quotes. After posting here, I realized basic hauling services are the way to go, as Oleg Bach and buzzkillb advised. The best place I found was called JunkJunk Los Angeles. But then I started thinking along the lines of JohnG72's question. Why should my friend be on the hook for this cost? The apartment is just full of clutter, it's not damaged, or hazardous, or vermin-infested. And the building owner has a $1500 deposit and a pretty great maintenance team. Maybe my friend should just take the few bits of memorabilia she wants to keep and leave the rest to him, telling him to keep the deposit and to feel free to throw away everything. What do you think?
I think your friend should sell the contents of the estate instead of paying to have it removed. I actually know a couple in the area who does estate sales, if you want to DM me a phone number or an email, I can pass it along to them and maybe they can set up something to take care of your friend's deceased mother's things.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowly104 View Post
The things is, your friend cannot possibly be on the hook for this. Only the moms estate, and if your friend doesn't have the money to deal with it, it would seem the mom has little of value other than the deposit(in which case if I were your friend, I'd ask for an itemized bill of the cleanup and anything the deposit is applied to).

Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 AM

223 posts, read 523,760 times
Can the property management go after someone not on the lease though?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 AM

@buzzkillb - No. They might have a shot at making a spouse pay for any expenditures over the deposit, but it turns out, unless they're co-signers, children cannot be held responsible for any debts or other financial obligations of parents.

@DontH8Me - Very kind offer, but the only thing of value in the apartment is an old upright piano. Otherwise there's just tons of newspapers, 40 year old furniture in bad condition, and old clothes. I told my friend not to feel at all bad about just walking away. The landlord has not done a single repair to that place in 28 years. Her poor mother even shelled out for a new fridge when the old one died.

Thanks to all of you again for your helpful suggestions. I hope no one ever requires the services of Oxnard Crime Scene Cleanup, but if anybody ever finds this thread through an online search for that sort of company, nightlysparrow is right, they're significantly less expensive than other disaster cleanup places I called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles