Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 AM

11 posts, read 15,949 times

Advertisements

I love living in Pasadena. There are lots of options in terms of finding a nice, safe place to live. For rentals that aren't advertised broadly, I always tell people to check the bulletin boards at Cal Tech and Pasadena Community College. Lots of older classic homes here - some with great guest houses that people rent out. They want to rent to students - so that's why you might find ads at local universities. Another option is to look at cities immediately outside of Pasadena - Arcadia, Sierra Madre, Monrovia, North San Gabriel. Pasadena is like living in a small town in the middle of a huge metropolitan area. Lots of dining, shopping options. A little quiet at night, but close enough to LA for everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,018 times
Can anyone give me an idea of the neighborhood of E. Villa Street & Mar Vista? There is a neighborhood corner store at one corner and the rest of E. Villa to the east seems to be bungalows and Mar Vista is a mix of apartments and bungalows. Safe walking to the Metro on Lake, at night, safe for mom with kids? Thanks!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
How long ago was that? Pasadena rent isn't cheap these days, but I agree that 65 grand is plenty.
Well I am moving to Pasadena, and a big reason is that there were a lot of 2BR in the under-1500 a month range. I was surprised how inexpensive Pasadena is, especially for one of the more desirable areas of the LA Metro.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaymcgee View Post
I currently live in Pasadena. We pay $1700 for a 750 sq ft 2 BR, 1 BA and everyone thinks we have an amazing deal. We've been looking to move to a 3 BR and can't find anything decent for less than $2300 a month. We have lovely neighbors in the houses immediately surrounding us, a notorious drug dealer den up the street, and an ex-con that is routinely raided down the block. The million-dollar neighborhood (5 million really) is walking distance, and where we choose to take the stroller. If we go right instead of left, I would be nervous to walk around there at night by myself, and I'm no nervous nellie.

Experiences from a current Pasadena resident. There's a broad range of prices and people here, and I don't think it's exaggerating one way or the other to suggest that it's reasonably safe or that there are areas to be avoided; that's it reasonably affordable or that it's exorbitant. Much like most of L.A., it all varies street to street.
Hopefully you are still around - maybe I ask which areas are your referring to here?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
Can anyone give me an idea of the neighborhood of E. Villa Street & Mar Vista? There is a neighborhood corner store at one corner and the rest of E. Villa to the east seems to be bungalows and Mar Vista is a mix of apartments and bungalows. Safe walking to the Metro on Lake, at night, safe for mom with kids? Thanks!
Also, what about the residential area of homes around Idaho Drive? (close to Lincoln & I-210). Thank you!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
That's pretty close to the center of Pasadena's hood.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
That's pretty close to the center of Pasadena's hood.
Can you tell me the streets to avoid? I am looking at a house on Glen Ave near Idaho. It looks to be a nice residential street with lots of bungalows close to the 210. Where is the hood? Thanks!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
I personally would not want to live in this area and this is probably more adventurous than most Pasadenans would consider.

Clearly this map isn't exact and streets can vary on a block by block level in this area so you really have to go visit each place.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I personally would not want to live in this area and this is probably more adventurous than most Pasadenans would consider.

Clearly this map isn't exact and streets can vary on a block by block level in this area so you really have to go visit each place.
Ok, thank you for the clarification and the map. Very helpful.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 PM

118 posts, read 217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hopefully you are still around - maybe I ask which areas are your referring to here?
Just saw this - see the helpful map above. I live in the red area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles