Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:02 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,628,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
You're just not used to being a minority. That sums it ALL up for the lack of understanding white people in general have in the entire US.

I am AA, and this is an issue that burns me up. White people being the dominant race in the US have had life easier than us people of color. Businesses have racial quotas to where they will only hire a set amount of people of color in order to not make white people think the business caters to non whites.

You never can have too many whites in an area. But if an area becomes more than 15-20% non white, white people feel uncomfortable and move. This is what has happened in California. White people who are solidly middle to upper middle class, who could afford to stay in California, move to Texas, Des Moines, or the like, to be in a surburban area which is majority white. To hell with the better weather and things to do that major cities like LA offer. They'll live in Boise Idaho or Sioux Falls South Dakota where there isn't much happening, and the weather sucks, just to live where whites are still the heavily dominant race.

White people are uncomfortable being in the minority role. You just said it in your post. If more white people felt comfortable being in a blended society, and were more open to seeing federal dollars being spent to create a level playing field for non whites, we could have a better society.

Southern California should not have lost as many whites as it has. While some of that is due to monetary reasons, much of it is due to being uncomfortable with not being the dominant race. White flight has been going on for years and it is a sign that racial division still plays a big role in our society.

Would you be more comfortable if your company had 40 whites and 40 non whites? You see, as people of color, we are used to working with 75 white people and 5 non whites. Our whole life is lived that way.

Maybe this can be a learning experience for you in LA, and a test of your ability to see life from a new perspective. The more we are different on the outside, the more we are the same on the inside.
This^^^^^

Old 08-27-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Great post. Can't really disagree with any of it.
Best response I've seen to something like that. Mad props from me!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
First of all, the OP is African American as evidenced by other posts he's made where he's mentioned that fact.

Second of all, back off on the "dominant race" talk, will you??? You are making broad, sweeping generalizations by pretending to think you know all about white people and why they make certain decisions. You have no idea! Again, back off!!!!!

And, again, white people ARE A "COLOR" TOO! So please quit saying "people of color" as if you are the only one who has "color"! What you really mean to say is "black people" but you don't have the courage to and you know that it would lift the mask right off of your anti-white racism if you did.

As far as being "multicultural", White people have always been "multicultural"! Ever been to Europe and seen all of the different cultures over there???? There's everything from Spanish and Portuguese all of the way to Russian and Finnish. The white indigenous peoples of Europe carry DNA from the Middle East, Asia and India in their blood. So please don't try to lecture white people about being "multicultural" because they already are.

You should not be lecturing white people on any level about "interacting" with people. White people, Asians and Hispanics in Southern California interact on various levels all of the time. It is the racist, conservative, homophobic and uneducated members of the black community who are anti-social and dysfunctional and need to learn how to be neighborly and interact better with others!

It seems like you have a major inferiority complex and that it is actually YOU who needs to acquaint yourself to multiculturalism!
Someone obviously doesn't read. "Whiteness" is a social construction that rules the West and particularly America with an iron fist. White people admit and write about this all the time. Yes, white is a color but as a colloquialism in America a "person of color" is someone who isn't white. Why is that? Because white is the status-quo in this country. Do you not know the history of this country? You asked if he went to Europe and listed all these nationalities that are still accepted as "white". LOL! My man literally shared his thoughts and then you get all up in arms about it. Not only that you show your true colors by saying "Whites, Asians and Hispanics in SC interact..." leaving out blacks. I mean seriously, even most of the whites in the post agreed with the guy. How can people be so clueless about what the social construction of race has done in this country?

As far as "people wanting to live with those like them" I agree nothing wrong with that if there wasn't a history of discrimination, hatred and etc., in this country. What do you think "white flight" was due to? Did you not see the pictures and like this?

And I'm sure you're of the mindset that so much as changed since then right?! Because "we have a black president"! I won't even go into that but I thank right-wing Christianity (and the republican party) for that. They've inspired so much hatred that I think anybody would've won. Not saying all whites are racist and not saying blacks aren't but we know where the power has been in this country and we know how it's maintained...well those of us that are awake anyway. Fact is, or should I say the numbers show, whites either try to keep their neighborhoods white or move (white flight) or they move in and push the poor out and take over (gentrification).

Last edited by taydigga; 08-27-2013 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 08-27-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I still think it's mostly an economic one.

Also the neighborhoods in L.A vary drastically in racial make up.

For example where I live is over 70% hispanic...but where I work is 87% white.

Where I live the crime rate is much higher than where I work. I see the two opposites of the spectrum daily. Even though they are in the same city...they don't feel that way.

I do believe that most whites ( and all other groups) care more about safety of an area and livability (city services, schools,etc) versus the skin tone of their neighbors.

It's nowhere near affordable (based on incomes in L.A) to live in a lower crime family oriented neighborhood in L.A

If they could live in a nice part of L.A I don't think most of them would be moving out of state.

Also there's a lot of a lot of African American people in Texas so I'm not sure if that makes much sense.

Houston is 25% African American for example and L.A is only 10%.

I don't think whites in L.A are moving out because they are racist...but it's simply because they can't afford to buy a home.

Renting is a different story of course because rents are actually lower than buying in much of L.A

What happens is people realize they have to move out of state or out of L.A county in order to buy a home.

When they move to Texas , Des Moise or some of the other areas you mentioned they are most likely buying, not renting.
I agree it's economic but in this country you can't separate the two. The economic system was built on oppression. I'm talking the transference of assets and the building of wealth in this country. Look at the ghettos, that didn't just happen (doing a documentary on this) the government had a hand in it. Just saying.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 AM

517 posts, read 1,699,488 times
I suppose if white people are confronted with these type of accusations & negativity all the time, who can blame them for getting the hell out of there? LOL

This thread has turned from a simple question about where white kids reside currently, to an all out blame-game lecture on the evils white men do.

It's bordering on fanatical, and the thread has been completely hijacked with an agenda.

But hey, that's just my opinion

Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,342,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Best response I've seen to something like that. Mad props from me!!!!
He may have been responding to me, but he was presenting an honest well-thought out opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
He may have been responding to me, but he was presenting an honest well-thought out opinion. Nothing wrong with that.
I agree, it's just you don't see that type of humility these days. There's like a 99 percent prideful response rate for the type of response he gave. You still the man P! Hope LA is treating you nice son!

Old 08-27-2013, 02:37 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,186,378 times
oh wow.

The type of freedom and prosperity that is afforded a white person, generally speaking, is more than a non-white person.

The white American population has already, especially in high COL places like Los Angeles, built a base for their family to prosper. You have generations of family that have been employed in a steady job that were able to save for their child's education. That child does the same for his/her children and so on. Once little John/Jane Doe graduates from college, he/she can get a job under Uncle Joe that has an executive position at a Fortune 500 company. This isn't uncommon.

African Americans, again generally speaking, don't have this type of base fully established yet. The civil rights movement was not that long ago and discrimination was still alive and well in the 1970's. Areas that were segregated here in Los Angeles or other urban cities did (and still don't) get the type of city funding needed to maintain them. Same goes with education. Because of this, dysfunction happens and the poverty chain is renewed for another generation. Many hard working single parents out there are trying to keep their family in line, but one bad influence can derail a good kid. Many times there isn't enough money to send a child to college. Sometimes, a smart kid has to help support his/her family, has to put education aside and get a low paying job, thus the poverty chain is renewed once again.

There is still quite a bit of discrimination out there playing out in the political arena as well.

latino immigrants are starting at square 1.

It is not as cute and dry as you think. There are always exceptions to the rule as well. Many white people live within this chain of dysfunction and many non-white families are doing very well.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:26 PM

582 posts, read 1,476,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
I suppose if white people are confronted with these type of accusations & negativity all the time, who can blame them for getting the hell out of there? LOL

This thread has turned from a simple question about where white kids reside currently, to an all out blame-game lecture on the evils white men do.

It's bordering on fanatical, and the thread has been completely hijacked with an agenda.

But hey, that's just my opinion
There is a reason why white kids are hard to find. Children have parents, and parents decide where they will live and work. Economics and personal preferences dominate this scenario. The children have no say in where they live.

So that takes us to the foundation of the situation. Why a large amount of white parents left the LA metro area?

Then that very question leads to a factual analysis of the term "white flight", the definition of it, and that leads us to the term "systemic racism", which was hugely the cause for segregation and whites desire not to live near people of color in the first place.

That is how this discussion is where it is on this post right now.

Now as far as the evils white men do, if you are a white man, just an ordinary white man, who isn't part of the power structure that has dominated the US for years, you have no reason to feel defensive as if every indescretion of male white society is being blamed on you. It isn't. But if YOU choose to defend the arrogant and discriminatory practices of the white male power structure in the US, instead of condemn white men of power who promoted and continue to promote racism and unequal treatment, then you are evil too. You as a white man COULD denounce those racist individuals and hang your head high that you are not like them. There are white men out there who will be quick to say they are racially liberal, believe in the need for civil rights for all, and hate racist white men. I know many white men like this. You could be like this too Guitarmaan. So could kttam186290. So why aren't you?

In other words, if you hate white men who have racist tendencies, you wouldn't have any reason to argue with most of us posting here who have disdain for white racist men. You would side with us and agree that the problem needs fixing. If you feel defensive towards our allegations of racism, then you must have racist feelings yourself ,and not dislike white men who stir up racial animous. You see, we are not saying all white people are racist, because they are not. But to solve the problem, we all have to agree that it exists, and is the cause for much of our poverty and social ills today.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
There is a reason why white kids are hard to find. Children have parents, and parents decide where they will live and work. Economics and personal preferences dominate this scenario. The children have no say in where they live.

So that takes us to the foundation of the situation. Why a large amount of white parents left the LA metro area?
Money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles