Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 20,278 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I was hoping I could get some insight in to the 'gay scene' of LA? I've lived in NYC for 2.5 years, and while I like it here, it's beginning to wear me down. I just got out of a long relationship, with someone who was actually from LA, but left because they wanted to live in NYC.

All I have heard about the gay scene in LA is that it's completely superficial, whether if you're going to the gym 6x a week, a vegan, etc etc... Now, I know those are grossly stereotypical statements, but forgive me that's all I have heard from anyone who's lived there. I am thinking about moving there soon, and, while i'm an independent person, i will not know anyone there and basically be on my own.

In NYC, I find it's a lot easier (granted 8 million people crammed onto one island) to find a low-key, easy, normal date and not one that is going crazy about the newest juice cleanse or GaGa album. Basically, someone NOT on the scene. I've been there and done that, and I don't want to deal with what I have seen here in NYC. I was wondering if anyone had experience in finding that in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrnner77 View Post
Hi everyone

I was hoping I could get some insight in to the 'gay scene' of LA? I've lived in NYC for 2.5 years, and while I like it here, it's beginning to wear me down. I just got out of a long relationship, with someone who was actually from LA, but left because they wanted to live in NYC.

All I have heard about the gay scene in LA is that it's completely superficial, whether if you're going to the gym 6x a week, a vegan, etc etc... Now, I know those are grossly stereotypical statements, but forgive me that's all I have heard from anyone who's lived there. I am thinking about moving there soon, and, while i'm an independent person, i will not know anyone there and basically be on my own.

In NYC, I find it's a lot easier (granted 8 million people crammed onto one island) to find a low-key, easy, normal date and not one that is going crazy about the newest juice cleanse or GaGa album. Basically, someone NOT on the scene. I've been there and done that, and I don't want to deal with what I have seen here in NYC. I was wondering if anyone had experience in finding that in LA?
I'm not gay so I am no expert, but from what I hear West Hollywood is very superficial (gay and straight) and what you have heard is generally true. That being said, Los Angeles is a huge city and also has a ton of people crammed into a fairly-small valley/basin, I'm sure there is a more "normal" gay scene here.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrnner77 View Post
Hi everyone

West Hollywood is sort of that way. But is it really any worse than the NYC gayborhoods? Also, LA has a large gay community in Silver Lake/East Hollywood that is bigger and older, and there are tons of gay men who don't participate in the West Hollywood scene.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:39 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
If you're not superficial dont go to WeHo. It's awfully bougie and embarrassingly flaming. Some of the people there are unbearable.

Not to mention the whole city is unaffordable and overly gentrified. My gay friends from Silverlake/Echo Park hate it. I don't blame them.

Really its just a difference in more upscale A-Gay types vs more working class gays if you ask me.

North Hollywood has a small Latino gay neighborhood.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
^There are elements of WeHo that are superficial but so is Silver Lake and Echo Park, I say that for both the straight and gay communities there. I've found that people in areas like West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica are way more friendly and laid back than the uptight artsy hipster crowd who seem to have a chip on their shoulder about anyone not like them.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^There are elements of WeHo that are superficial but so is Silver Lake and Echo Park, I say that for both the straight and gay communities there. I've found that people in areas like West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica are way more friendly and laid back than the uptight artsy hipster crowd who seem to have a chip on their shoulder about anyone not like them.
That's true. My fav people in LA are laid back older Cali natives.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:32 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I'm sure you can find a "normal down to earth" guy here, not every gay guy follows the stereotype you've laid out......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles