Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:16 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing recently that drivers are getting worse and worse, the consideration is nonexistant and there are SO many Pedestrians that are complete idiots who just walk aimlessly into roads without even looking. That flashing hand? lol, ok, nobody adhere's to that, they just cross when they feel like it and if you have to stop short in the middle of oncoming traffic while making a left, too bad, you have to be the idiot blocking the traffic coming the other way.

Pedestrians seem to not understand that cars weigh 20 or 30 times more than they do and traveling at high rates of speed, its going to be a meeting that they are going to lose more times than not.

Is it too much to ask to have people on foot to not cross the street if the orange hand is saying STOP? Is it too much to ask for people to not park in the middle of small side streets with their flashers on blocking traffic? Is it too much to ask for SOME consideration on the roads?

Seems to me that its getting worse and worse and people are getting more and more careless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:49 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
It could be because these people aren't from Los Angeles.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Are you complaining about the drivers or pedestrians? Pedestrians have the right of way, by law the last I read.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Are you complaining about the drivers or pedestrians? Pedestrians have the right of way, by law the last I read.
They get out of hand with the right of way stuff. They take their sweet time at crosswalks, jaywalk at the worst times, smack cars on their side if they think the driver didn't give them enough to literally crawl across the street. So they can get pretty annoying.

And OP yes drivers in LA are pretty bad drivers. I really don't know why a lot of people here are so aloof and careless when they drive. A lot of them are just not paying attention.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 PM

339 posts, read 777,636 times
Quote:
Not always. I found this in the California Vehicle Code:

21950. (a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise
provided in this chapter.

(b) This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of using due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Sounds like a "nobody belongs on the road but me" rant.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
I was yelled at the other week for crossing the street. Waited nearly two minutes for the light to change. I thought someone pressed the "beg" let me cross the street button, so when the light turned green, I looked and crossed. Halfway through there was a left turning taxi cab driver on a one way street yelling,well yelled at me for crossing the street. I thought something else was happening like an accident, so I was stopped in the middle for about 4 seconds figuring out what is happening. I thought that was rude to yell at someone crossing the street when in a few seconds a person would have crossed and then the driver can continue. By the time I crossed there was another 20 seconds of green as I watched the taxi cab speed away, leaving me stunned and pissed off.

I dont get this post. It should be "Are the pedestrians in LA getting worse and more inconsiderate.?" Not everyone in LA is a driver but everyone IS a pedestrian. So give way for the street walkers.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:13 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
[Pedestrians] get out of hand with the right of way stuff. They take their sweet time at crosswalks, jaywalk at the worst times, smack cars on their side if they think the driver didn't give them enough to literally crawl across the street. So they can get pretty annoying.

And OP yes drivers in LA are pretty bad drivers. I really don't know why a lot of people here are so aloof and careless when they drive. A lot of them are just not paying attention.
"Bad drivers" vs. whom? You mean yourself, one who appears to impatiently have little regard for the safety of others, a well understood hallmark of a competent driver? And you are also free to drive yourself back to where you rate drivers better. But first, be courteous enought to at least consider this: V C Section 21950 Right of Way at Crosswalks

Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Interesting to see this thread as I just read about a series of hit and runs that occurred over the weekend.

3 People killed in 2 hours .

3 Killed in 2 Hours by Hit-And-Run Drivers | NBC Southern California

I'm not sure if people are getting worse or not. Drivers in L.A seem like they have been engaging in risky and dangerous behavior for a long time.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 AM

377 posts, read 529,504 times
what I love are those people who walk and text or talk on their phone at the same time, completely oblivious to the outside world, I call them "walkers", like the zombies from "The Walking Dead", when I see one on the street, I go "We got a walker!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles