Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,208,636 times

Advertisements

I just want to make it perfectly clear that none of my friends are the ones saying these things. Most are people that I work with. And yes they are natives, at least thats what they tell me. And most are in there 30's. I know transplants talk about the glitz and glamour of the area but don't ever think its just transplants because it isn't. Most of my close friends are recent transplants and honestly we wonder why locals think we want to be around stars and drive cool cars. I'll admit it, its fun seeing stars at work sometimes but I enjoy LA for the great weather and all it has to offer. Not stars and BMWs. And if you make alot of money, that't ok too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 11:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,191,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I just want to make it perfectly clear that none of my friends are the ones saying these things. Most are people that I work with. And yes they are natives, at least thats what they tell me. And most are in there 30's. I know transplants talk about the glitz and glamour of the area but don't ever think its just transplants because it isn't. Most of my close friends are recent transplants and honestly we wonder why locals think we want to be around stars and drive cool cars. I'll admit it, its fun seeing stars at work sometimes but I enjoy LA for the great weather and all it has to offer. Not stars and BMWs. And if you make alot of money, that't ok too.

This is a product of the environment you work in. I know it well. This type of attitude does not represent the city.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,287,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Anecdotal... LA is big enough where there's something of everyone, but natives tend not to be like that. And who knows if they are actually natives. I've heard people from as far north as Santa Barbara County as far south as Oceanside, and as far east as riverside claim to be from LA.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,387,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
This is a product of the environment you work in. I know it well. This type of attitude does not represent the city.

Yeah it definitely sounds like the scene you are in. I also really want to know where these people are from? Can you post their birth certificates?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 PM

242 posts, read 498,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAstateofmind View Post
I graduated from FIDM a couple of years ago and I work in marketing at a cosmetics company. My current salary is 40k, nothing fancy and enough to get by in where I live in Downtown LA.
I am originally from NYC and I love it there, but I decided that I wanted to live somewhere more laid back for when it's time to start a family. (I don't plan on living in downtown. I'm considering the suburbs when I really settle down)
But anyways, I've made several friends in college and out of college and I've noticed that a lot of people I met out here who are working class are OBSESSED with hating the rich. So many of my friends complain and mock those who can afford to live in Beverly Hills, the Palisades, Brentwood, Santa Monica, ect. I've also been doing a lot of research from perspectives of others on this forum and I notice the same.
Now, my fiance is studying to be a psychiatrist. He is already has his BS and is in medical school. After medical school (four years) he has to complete a three year psychiatry program (three years), totaling it to 11 years after high school he has to dedicate to study and as a result he will make at least 150k a year eventually graduating up to more as he works hard.
I knew that by me choosing a career in cosmetics and only having an associates degree, I will never be upper class and I accepted that. I am content with living in my studio, living paycheck to paycheck because that is the choice I've made. If I wanted to live fabulous, I would do the same thing my fiance is doing and become a doctor or lawyer.
I know too many people who came to LA straight out of high school wanting to live a glamorous life, meanwhile they did nothing to get there. I have NOTHING against working class people. I just have things against people who are into "get rich quick schemes" and feel entitled to this "Hollywood" life. I can't stand seeing people complain about people who make more money than they do, when these people have devoted their energy and time into getting these careers.
I know that this is not ALL the working class as I have surrounded myself with people who are very grateful and enjoy what LA has to offer. I just wonder why people judge people JUST because they have money and are more fortunate. I think that is so wrong.

Why would you waste your time worrying about something that concerns other people? Who cares what other people think about the rich or the poor.
you should just be concerned with how you feel about people, places, and things....
We are only responsible for our own actions.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,850,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAstateofmind View Post
I graduated from FIDM a couple of years ago and I work in marketing at a cosmetics company. My current salary is 40k, nothing fancy and enough to get by in where I live in Downtown LA.
I am originally from NYC and I love it there, but I decided that I wanted to live somewhere more laid back for when it's time to start a family. (I don't plan on living in downtown. I'm considering the suburbs when I really settle down)
But anyways, I've made several friends in college and out of college and I've noticed that a lot of people I met out here who are working class are OBSESSED with hating the rich. So many of my friends complain and mock those who can afford to live in Beverly Hills, the Palisades, Brentwood, Santa Monica, ect. I've also been doing a lot of research from perspectives of others on this forum and I notice the same.
Now, my fiance is studying to be a psychiatrist. He is already has his BS and is in medical school. After medical school (four years) he has to complete a three year psychiatry program (three years), totaling it to 11 years after high school he has to dedicate to study and as a result he will make at least 150k a year eventually graduating up to more as he works hard.
I knew that by me choosing a career in cosmetics and only having an associates degree, I will never be upper class and I accepted that. I am content with living in my studio, living paycheck to paycheck because that is the choice I've made. If I wanted to live fabulous, I would do the same thing my fiance is doing and become a doctor or lawyer.
I know too many people who came to LA straight out of high school wanting to live a glamorous life, meanwhile they did nothing to get there. I have NOTHING against working class people. I just have things against people who are into "get rich quick schemes" and feel entitled to this "Hollywood" life. I can't stand seeing people complain about people who make more money than they do, when these people have devoted their energy and time into getting these careers.
I know that this is not ALL the working class as I have surrounded myself with people who are very grateful and enjoy what LA has to offer. I just wonder why people judge people JUST because they have money and are more fortunate. I think that is so wrong.
I think you've made this all up to be honest. First off, your friends in college are working class? What do they do for a living? If their still students then they aren't working class are they?

Most working class people don't hate the rich.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:33 PM

199 posts, read 399,289 times
Older working class people don't hate the rich. In fact, back in the day, working class folks used to hold most rich people in esteem as an example of what hard work and dedication can accomplish.

Then came the liberal commie losers who hated everyone who wasn't a sad sack loser like themselves. They passed that nonsense to their loser kids. All of a sudden you had a generation of kids that were taught that no matter how lame and pathetic they are, they too are special and deserve a medal just like the cream of the crop kids.

No longer were hard work and dedication the thing to teach your kids. Entitlement was in. Why should little Karl have his feelings hurt just for coming in 9th place? He deserves a medal too! Instead of pointing up to the kid in first place and telling little Karl "See him, son? With hard work and dedication, that could be you!" the hip, cool, liberally enlightened parents would point and say "See him, son? He's no better than you! You're special and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!" You had a whole generation of entitled losers.

Then they grew up and reality hit. All of a sudden being in 9th place didn't get you crap except a "We'll add you to our file and contact you if an opening becomes available." All of a sudden they realized that they're NOT like the top kids, because the top kids are actually succeeding in life and the little commie losers aren't. So what do they do? What they've been taught their whole life, to hate and feel entitled.

Now LA, San Fran, and all these lib havens are full of these losers who love to hate on success with jealousy bursting out of every pore. If the drycleaner down the street has a booming business, "He stole it. He exploits his workers. He doesn't pay his employees a living wage. He's a thief and a pig." Never mind that the drycleaner busted his a&& and saved up for years just to have the opportunity to give the business a go, while those enlightened lib losers were sitting in coffee shops reading Chomsky on their iPads.

Jealousy. It's all jealousy. Most of these haters haven't put in an honest day's work in their life. They're bitter, entitled losers jealous of the success of others but unwilling to get off their lazy a&&es to achieve the same.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:53 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,808,693 times
If these are your friends and it bothers you that they talk about the wealthy like this can you ask them why they do it? I agree with the other response some of their negativity is probably jealousy or frustration with their own situation. Some people just are negative and focus on other people rather then on themselves.
Also some people are content living in a small place living pay check to pay check and some people are not. Some people rather work at a job they love and make less like you stated and some are willing to work at a job they hate to make a high income. Everyone is different and what works for one person does not another.
In my opinion all you can do is focus on yourself and if a friend states something that bothers you tell them how you feel.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,231,712 times
Mashi, hats off to you! I laughed until I stopped. Especially loved the Chomsky/iPad reference. I wanna play in the cliche castle too! Where do you get this stuff?

Old 08-31-2013, 01:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,854,667 times
Mashi hit one over the seats and out into the parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles