Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 48,315 times

Advertisements

Is there a place in Los Angeles where a person can rent space to repair their car or truck? I currently don't have a safe place (off the stree) to perform repairs. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,130 times
Some smaller schools (smaller colleges, community colleges etc...) have a free class(?) if you are resident of the city and offer garages for use to learn on. I went to one awhile ago and you can pretty much work on your car and there are teachers around to assist you if you need help. Call around.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
May not apply to the original poster, but many military bases have an auto hobby shop. I used the one at Point Mugu and now Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville. In these things are cherry pickers, oil changing pits, paint spray booths, compressors, tools, etc. Those with access to the base are permitted to use these things. Pretty nice.

Also, community colleges have auto repair classes (like mentioned above) that will take cars in to work on. (Also West Valley Occupation Center in Woodland Hills) I had a 1965 Pontiac Catalina Convertible. I took it to Oxnard College and they did the body one semester and the paint the next semester. One kid does a door, one kid does a quarter panel, etc. I had estimates like $3500 from body shops. Oxnard College did it for like $700 as I only paid materials. They did welding, not bondo.

They also fixed the power steering box for just parts too.

Last edited by Charles; 05-12-2009 at 07:08 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman28 View Post
Is there a place in Los Angeles where a person can rent space to repair their car or truck? I currently don't have a safe place (off the stree) to perform repairs. Any ideas?

LoL, I always work on my cars in the street!! I once took out a 5.0 engine and trans out of a 91 Mustang with a cherry picker in the street.

The other option is to rent out storage space and work on your car from there. Just be careful as most places don't want you to "work on cars" out of a storage space.

I will admit tho; if you are in a super high end area and you will know as there are NO cars on the streets OR in the driveway I would just find a local storage space and work out of there..

Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Some smaller schools (smaller colleges, community colleges etc...) have a free class(?) if you are resident of the city and offer garages for use to learn on. I went to one awhile ago and you can pretty much work on your car and there are teachers around to assist you if you need help. Call around.
I work with someone who built a project car this way (he had to pay for the class, though). All the tools and expertise he needed was there.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 48,315 times
Great Ideas! I think the community college avenue would be best for me. I hadn't thought of that. If I lived on a not-so-busy street, I would do it myself on the street. But people are coming around the bend anywhere between 25 mph and 50 mph! Thanks, again.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 PM

830 posts, read 2,859,929 times
When I first moved out here I was living in an extended-stay hotel. I worked on my car in the parking lot. I wonder if you could do the same thing? Find an empty lot somewhere. But I like the community college idea best.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 26,187 times
Sorry for bumping a very old thread... but I'm in the same situation and I don't seem to find a community college that offers that. Did anyone have success on finding one?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 21,882 times
Default Santa Monica Community College has an auto class

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisen View Post
I don't seem to find a community college that offers that. Did anyone have success on finding one?
Hey Raisen,

Try Santa Monica Community College if you're on the westside. Here's SMC's Automotive Technology department website: [url]http://www.smc.edu/apps/pub.asp?Q=2466[/url]

I'm going to try to sign up for the winter classes.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:53 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauserii View Post
Hey Raisen,

Try Santa Monica Community College if you're on the westside. Here's SMC's Automotive Technology department website: Automotive Technology

I'm going to try to sign up for the winter classes.

Hope this helps.
Thats good to know ...... I may try to take one of those just for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles