Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
This is a foreseeable vision, but it seems to proceed from the idea that employees are "the other" or even the enemy. They're not. You'll always have employees because they're part of doing business. I'm working on a start-up now and yes, employment bears the greatest cost. But it's not some randomly imposed cost; it's a requirement, just like a storefront, merchandise and utilities. We all need people. You find that customers--where your actual profit comes from--need people. They want people.

The question is what do you do to attract and retain quality people, even low skilled and lower wage workers. Fair wages really is one aspect of workplace dignity and respect, but only one. To run a quality business with all around loyalty, you will need people more than they need you.

Especially when things go wrong with the self check out machine, when you need help finding something, or when you need to ask someone about something you're thinking about buying, you need people.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Anyone who wants a college education can get one, at least they can get their AA. Just asked those who have come from the inner city or maybe rural areas and were raised in poverty. My husband is a perfect example. What about people like Dr B Carlson, raised by a single mom in the inner city or Senator Rubio? How about Ronald Reagan or VP Biden? Sure it takes work and dedication, but it can be done. We have a family right here in our neighborhood, who actually moved here from Los Angeles. They are probably in their late 30s, have 2 kids and I am guessing came from families with very little education. He put himself through mechanics school and she is an RN. He works for an auto shop and does repairs on cars on the side. She does have her RN. The kids are polite, love to ride their bikes in our open spaces and are great neighbors. Or the guy across from him, who isn't educated but was able to do better than working at a fast food restaurant. He drives a long distance truck for WalMart. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Yet if everyone goes to college, you'd just have college educated cashiers. Here is how college works. Its a gatekeeper. Its meant to screen out the majority of people (only 25% of Americans have degrees), so that those who do get degrees tend to earn more money because they are comparatively rare.

Not everyone is suited to studying and someone must do the low wage jobs.

With that being said, yes, you do have a certain amount of upward mobility.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If WalMart laid off its cashier's to save money, what's to stop people from coming into the store, picking up merchandise and just walking out. You'd need to have at least a few cashiers and security people there as deterrents.

Also, the self check out machines don't always work perfectly. I do use them, and when there's a problem they have some employee on hand to fix the problem.
Security would be in place as it is presently, but cashiers would be a thing of the past, as well as these self check out devices that are in many outlets today.
The system I want to approach Walmart with will be completely automated.
Counting security, I foresee no more than ten employees in any Walmart at any given time, and most of them would be there to monitor the system, and customer service.
One big change would be the check out system would only accept credit cards, debit cards, or cash.
No checks.
Bob.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,818 times
Quote:
If WalMart laid off its cashier's to save money, what's to stop people from coming into the store, picking up merchandise and just walking out. You'd need to have at least a few cashiers and security people there as deterrents.

Also, the self check out machines don't always work perfectly. I do use them, and when there's a problem they have some employee on hand to fix the problem.
I think you missed my point. If all these various low wage jobs are eliminated across the country, who in the upper economic classes are going to replace these consumers?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:40 AM

106 posts, read 171,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
With the finances available to Walmart, this would not be a difficult task.
I am curious as to why no one in their corporation hasn't thought about this long before now.
Perhaps all they need is a catalyst(namely my idea) to get them started.
Bob.
Like many people before you, you are ignoring the human factor.

Even Walmart is smart enough to know that employing this robotic, totally self-reliant checkout system to take the place of humans would spell disaster for any future stores in any community. The only reason they earned the trust of so many Americans in the first place is because they marketed themselves as the "Made in America for America." More and more municipalities are beginning to realize the absurdity.

As soon as Walmart decides to sneak in these systems, they are done. Walmart is still the top retailer in America, but they are being challenged locally by certain grocery chains in different regions (Publix is a good example) and are losing a lot of business across America with the new emergence of Dollar Stores in low-income-urban, low-income-suburbian (Like Prince George County, Maryland) and rural America. Target is also squeezing them a bit in the upper-middle class suburbia market, and somehow are able to squeeze into urban markets that won't allow Walmarts (Such as Columbia Heights, DC)

Even Walmart isn't stupid enough to overplay their hand this way.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You are wrong.
Given today's and tomorrow's technology, you could easily be replaced by robotics.
The system I spoke of in my last post deals with all product merchandising at Walmart, and that includes meats, and produce as well as all the other products Walmart sells.
Someone mentioned automatic scan at the register when checking out.
Many outlets have that presently.
With my system that is done away with, and all you would do at the register is pay for your items, nothing more.
You wouldn't even have to bag the items.

Bob.
of course, maybe not in our life time but a lot of jobs we have today will be done by robots, with just one person programming of directing the little guy...50 years ago who would have believed what computers would be able to do. The good news is, with family size shrinking and less babies being born, the population will, eventually be smaller, so there will still be work for anyone who wants to work. It might just take a little more training.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
But you know how far into the future that could possibly be? Not in our lifetimes. Although I could see places being completely self-check out in 10-15 years.
Who would have believed 30 years ago surgery would be done robotically? 50 years ago how many people would believe a machine could answer your phone and take a message, or cursive would not linger be taught in many schools or kids would have no reason to learn multiplication and division because thir calculators and computers would do the math for them?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Many of them already use self check out. Haven't you been to a Walmart or another store with it? As for everyone going to college, who said anything about everyone going to college? Of course not everyone should go to college, many people are much better at manual skills, like plumbing, mechanics, and yes, as sales people. The point I am trying to make is: anyone who wants a college education can get one. Though I come from a family where advanced education is very important, clear back to my grandmother at the turn of the last century, I am also a firm believer not everyone does belong in college. I also believe there are many ways to advance and better yourself. If people are content to spend their lives as a checker at WalMart then they have no business expecting a bright future. My youngest granddaughters first husband didn't believe in college. Instead he became a heating and air conditioning technician and now, at 30 years old owns his own business.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I agree with this. I don't think college should be pushed on everyone .

I believe it has many benefits beyond getting a job.

Training or an apprenticeship is another type of education .

I see huge advantages to learning a trade especially with the potential to start a business in that field .

We all know how expensive it is to hire someone to get work done .

I don't feel there are a lack of opportunities . How hard is it to google trade school and the name of your city ?

How hard is it to contact your community college and ask about the programs available .

Too often I think people use excuses . Or they will let something small stop them .

If you want to succeed you don't give up , you blow through obstacles .

Our economy and world is different today , but today businesses are being started, today fortunes are being made , today people are working on classes towards the degree which will allow them to get into the career they want ,

Today also people will give up , people will complain the system is against them , stop looking for work because its too hard

The point is we all make choices , it's not easy but who told us it would be ?

If eveything was easy or served to us on a golden platter there would be no satisfaction in doing anything .

If you just got a degree in the mail by default at age 21 , it would not mean anything .

If you got a check in the mail for breathing , what is the value in that check ? Can you really appreciate it since you didn't have to do anything for it?

Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I think you missed my point. If all these various low wage jobs are eliminated across the country, who in the upper economic classes are going to replace these consumers?
There are a lot of moving parts to the issue. Yes, these low wage workers are also the patrons of these very establishments. We can tut-tut their spending habits but the fact is, do the numbers: their spending habits are what keeps the economy floating. The more they earn, the more they spend. But that's just one facet.

It seems contradictory that corporate rhetoric justifies out of control CEO salaries in order to attract the best talent, but employee rates set off red flags. You want faithful employees. You want to respect them. And a well-run company will offer them a track to greater responsibility, training, better earning power. If you look at your workers as disposable, well that goes both ways. Walmart is disposable too. With its increasingly poor reputation, the country seems to be learning that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles