Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 PM

14 posts, read 26,828 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Many rentals in the area have gardener included. But the tenant often pays all utilities. As I was looking at a rental in Encino CA on a 103 degree day, I noticed the grassy front yard. And then the LL told me the back yard will soon be up to snuff (meaning more green than it's current state). So, moving from Ventura where I don't have an AC or a grassy yard, will my water and electric bills shock me? The LL mentioned $450 but then I realized much of LA is on a bi-monthly billing cycle. In Ventura, I pay $100 water/sewer/trash, $30 for electric and $20 for gas. So that's $150 a month or $300 every two. Now, some people include cable and Internet in the "utility" umbrella but I don't considering many people drop cable nowadays.

So, please educate me. What is an average summer / winter LA utility bill? (for a SFH on a normal sized lot, no mansions). And do many areas lump it all together into one big bill? I heard that's the case, with the exception of gas being separate.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 AM

24 posts, read 39,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chdlmc View Post
Hi,

Many rentals in the area have gardener included. But the tenant often pays all utilities. As I was looking at a rental in Encino CA on a 103 degree day, I noticed the grassy front yard. And then the LL told me the back yard will soon be up to snuff (meaning more green than it's current state). So, moving from Ventura where I don't have an AC or a grassy yard, will my water and electric bills shock me? The LL mentioned $450 but then I realized much of LA is on a bi-monthly billing cycle. In Ventura, I pay $100 water/sewer/trash, $30 for electric and $20 for gas. So that's $150 a month or $300 every two. Now, some people include cable and Internet in the "utility" umbrella but I don't considering many people drop cable nowadays.

So, please educate me. What is an average summer / winter LA utility bill? (for a SFH on a normal sized lot, no mansions). And do many areas lump it all together into one big bill? I heard that's the case, with the exception of gas being separate.

Thanks!!
...in the Metro LA area, outside of the city, the electric is SoCal Edison, which in my experience needs to be cast into hell, but that may just be me; they are about a 25% to 33% higher than the City; in the City you have the DWP, and despite the claims, much less expensive, as well as much better run than SoCal Edison.

As to non-SFH situation, the older buildings generally include utilities, as the power companies didn't separate the units; now the more modern buildings do so. SFH, or duplex-type property, I have found are cheaper in the long run, as you have more control over the usage,

As you noted, power companies bill every other month, and your rates will be more or less what you experience in Ventura. In the City, the electric bills include water, and trash, as all are City owned and/or operated.

I believe that in Ventura you hav PG & E, which includes gas as well electric; in the City, as the well as the Metro LA area, the gas is supplied by Sempra(sp?), through a subsidiary SoCal Gas Co., simply known as the Gas Co. Thus, you will receive two energy bills, DWP and SoCal Gas Co., or SoCal Edison and SoCal Gas Co.; there are some towns, i.e. Burbank, Glendale, and Pasadena, that have their own electric/light, more a township thumbing their nose at the big City, or the County in general, with charges in the same general expense.

All in all, for an average new house, your energy bills are comparable to what you have experienced in Ventura; though, if I am to believe my friends that live in PG & E, the City DWP is a far better deal. In addition for consideration, older houses/apartments will be higher, far less energy efficient.

As to cable, I am not aware of the City, or any town, that doesn't provide the service through an independent cable company, so the bill is separate; in the City, there are as many providers as those that exist, while the towns, or small towns in the Metro LA, have a single cable provider. After the SoCal Edison, may cable companies follow Edison into hell! You may want a less-prejudice viewpoint on the topic of cable. Personally, I would go through dish-type company, or go with a hot-spot for Internet, and Netflix, Hulu, etc for the movies.

Wherever possible, get forced air heating and air-conditioning; given the shape of our beautiful state, the Southland is much warmer than Ventura.

Hope this helps?!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,113,570 times
i live in encino and my bi-monthly dwp bill runs from $300-$800 depending on the time of year. water and power can be very expensive in the summer to keep the grass green and rooms cool.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,297,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citystyleguy View Post

I believe that in Ventura you hav PG & E, which includes gas as well electric; in the City, as the well as the Metro LA area, the gas is supplied by Sempra(sp?), through a subsidiary SoCal Gas Co., simply known as the Gas Co. Thus, you will receive two energy bills, DWP and SoCal Gas Co., or SoCal Edison and SoCal Gas Co.; there are some towns, i.e. Burbank, Glendale, and Pasadena, that have their own electric/light, more a township thumbing their nose at the big City, or the County in general, with charges in the same general expense.
Unless something drastic has happened, Ventura should still be SCE / Sempra territory. The line between SCE / Sempra and PG&E is either the Santa Ynez Mountains or the SB / SLO county line (I don't recall that exactly). I somehow recall Santa Maria perhaps being PG&E. SLO is PG&E for sure.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 PM

14 posts, read 26,828 times
Citystyleguy,

Very helpful, much appreciated.

BRinSM,

Man $800 bucks is quite a decent chunk of change. So you receive a DWP bill and then a gas bill, right? That's it for the "essential" utilities, with internet/cable being through a third party company..?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:29 AM

223 posts, read 521,100 times
We were in a newer 850 sqft. loft in Downtown and our Water/Sewer was about $25/month and Electric was about $50/month. No gas. Now we are in a 1300 sqft. house in Altadena with a good size property and pay about $60-70/month water and $70-130/month Edison. And $12/month gas. I work from home and keep the Central AC at 78 when home. The high electric bill has been in the Summer and low is during the Winter.

Edison feels much more expensive than DWP for electricity as we have the same electronics running.

Our water bill is higher because Altadena has their own supply and works a little different than anywhere I have heard of.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:57 PM

15 posts, read 32,832 times
buzzkillb: Is trash included in the water bill?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,113,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chdlmc View Post
Citystyleguy,

Very helpful, much appreciated.

BRinSM,

Man $800 bucks is quite a decent chunk of change. So you receive a DWP bill and then a gas bill, right? That's it for the "essential" utilities, with internet/cable being through a third party company..?
$800 is a lot, but it is for two months of services and only during the hottest months of the year. DWP covers water, power, and sanitation services. Gas bill comes from the Gas Co., but in the summer when we're not using the heater it's usually less than $20 per month. Cable and phone are separate of course. I don't have a phone line, but cable tv and internet are about $125 per month from time warner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles