Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
I agree the Sunset Strip is no longer party central as it once was. The revitalization of central Hollywood has clearly stolen some of the strip's thunder.

But let's be clear to anyone reading from afar (like the OP in France) the stip is still pretty active and is in no way run down.
Yes, well, this is due to the newer businesses on the Strip, not the ancient relics like the rainbow room and roxy.

Saddle Ranch will always attract tons of tourists, and the hotel bars like the Standard, Sky, and Chateau marmont will always have some of that Hollywood VIP aspect to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
lots o snobs on this thread yeah I guess if you are a total hipster it might not be cool anymore. If you liked it 20 years ago though I suspect you will still like it...
Just because you have discerning taste in music you are a hipster?

Here is a perfect example of why I avoid the Strip like the plague:

The Icarus Line Played A 35+ Minute Feedback Jam @ House Of Blues | Buddyhead

Basically, the Icarus Line is setting up their gear and the audience at the H.o.B. starts jeering and booing them the entire time, before they even played a single note. I get that the band may not be for everyone (and are definitely a head-scratcher opening for The Cult), but they hadn't even started playing yet and they were getting booed maliciously (as well as having racial slurs tossed at them, which makes no sense because I thought they were a bunch of white guys), so they responded by playing a full set of dissonant feedback that apparently was supposed to be some weird version of LA Blues.

Sorry but that is not the type of environment I would want to see a show at. Trashy drunk 40-somethings watching bands that are 10-20 years past their prime, all for $30+? And no interest (to the point of open hostility) in even listening to the (LA-based and relatively well-known) opener? No thanks.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:53 PM

546 posts, read 817,831 times
It was before my time but in my view the true heyday of the Sunset Strip for rock and roll music was in the 1960's (The Byrds, Doors, the Beach Boys, etc), not the 1980's.

But as this photo essay on the history of the Strip from Curbed LA shows...the crowds in the 1940's had some good times too.
Look Back on the History of the Sunset Strip in 21 Photos - Sepia Tones - Curbed LA

The local music scene in LA in the 1980's was quite strong. But the best of that scene had its major focus in central Hollywood, not the Strip. Places like the Masque, Club Lingerie, Raji's and the Cathay De Grande were bursting at the seams with great music/bands. And to a lesser extent in downtown LA at places like Madame Wong's East and Al's Bar.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
It was before my time but in my view the true heyday of the Sunset Strip for rock and roll music was in the 1960's (The Byrds, Doors, the Beach Boys, etc), not the 1980's.

But as this photo essay on the history of the Strip from Curbed LA shows...the crowds in the 1940's had some good times too.
Look Back on the History of the Sunset Strip in 21 Photos - Sepia Tones - Curbed LA

The local music scene in LA in the 1980's was quite strong. But the best of that scene had its major focus in central Hollywood, not the Strip. Places like the Masque, Club Lingerie, Raji's and the Cathay De Grande were bursting at the seams with great music/bands. And to a lesser extent in downtown LA at places like Madame Wong's East and Al's Bar.
As the greatest LA band of all time said:

Quote:
we learned punk rock in hollywood
drove up from pedro
Definitely not referring to the Strip.

The Strip does have a very interesting history, all the way back to the early days of Los Angeles (mainly because it was not in LA city limits).

Old 09-12-2013, 02:50 PM

449 posts, read 640,899 times
Quote:
I think anyone would agree with that.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Pay to play has been around since the 80s. Having said that, I saw some great shows on the Strip in the late '70s/early 80s: The Clash, Peter Gabriel, Kid Creole & the Coconuts and Dire Straits at the Roxy; Madness, Split Enz, Talking Heads, Wall of Voodoo at the Whisky, and a ton of others. Good times.

And I remember when people were talking about the death of the Sunset Strip in the mid-70s, after the Roxy's singer-songwriter heyday in the early 70s but before the boom that would bring the Roxy and Whisky back to life in the late '70s. Now, it appears it's in a downtime again.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM

367 posts, read 672,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

The Strip does have a very interesting history, all the way back to the early days of Los Angeles (mainly because it was not in LA city limits).
our band could be your life

Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

"we learned punk rock in hollywood
drove up from pedro"

HaHa. True, they played the seedy side of Hollywood many tiimes. I had the pleasure of seeing them live (in San Pedro actually) before their tragic ending.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Pay to play has been around since the 80s. Having said that, I saw some great shows on the Strip in the late '70s/early 80s: The Clash, Peter Gabriel, Kid Creole & the Coconuts and Dire Straits at the Roxy; Madness, Split Enz, Talking Heads, Wall of Voodoo at the Whisky, and a ton of others. Good times.

And I remember when people were talking about the death of the Sunset Strip in the mid-70s, after the Roxy's singer-songwriter heyday in the early 70s but before the boom that would bring the Roxy and Whisky back to life in the late '70s. Now, it appears it's in a downtime again.
That is quite a list of gigs. The Clash at the Whisky or Roxy? What year was that? Must have been an amazing show.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
It looks like a ton of development will be happening on the Sunset Strip..I didn't realize that development had been stalled for so long!

Development was approved in 1999..but then stalled because of neighbors complaints lawsuits and then recession..wow . That's over 14 years of stalling!

Sunset Strip development revs up as long-delayed project gets going - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles