Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,832,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup Cutie View Post
Yeah but the ethnic breakdown of kids that attend the public schools is more like 80% Asian. Your kid will not be the only black kid in school, but will probably be the only black kid in many of his or her classes.
Well, let's put it this way then:

There aren't many Black families in most of SGV except for Pasadena, but Pasadena has some of the lowest rated schools in the area.

So that means,

-Excellent schools with no diversity
-Bad Pasadena schools with some diversity
-Private schools likely with no diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 AM

23,289 posts, read 23,662,705 times
Altadena is 23.7% African American:

Altadena, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,637,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
If you are willing to go the private school route, expand your search to Altadena as well as the other areas already mentioned. It has a significantly larger black community than South Pas, La Canada, Arcadia, or San Marino, but it's part of Pasadena Unified so the schools are mediocre at best.

Genjy is sadly correct in his assessment.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 24,649 times
i gotta say this whole process is starting to get depressing. i'm really getting the vibe that we aren't welcome in arcadia and i dont' want my child in a school where he's looked upon as less than. i'm really at a loss. we are looking in altadena, sierra madre areas as well. we'd even be wiling to move into a large apartment building if it was associated with a good school.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:24 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,637,121 times
I can assure you that in none of the private schools will your children be "looked upon as less than" or have any trouble fitting in. However, you're just not going to have a classroom that is 25% black, 25% white, 25% hispanic, and 25% asian. It's going to be something closer to 60% white, 25% asian, 8% black, and 8% hispanic.

Los Angeles County in general does not have a very large concentration of blacks and it is has decreased significantly over the last two decades.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,434 times
have you considered temple city? south pas may be a good bet as you'll travel against traffic much of the time. generally traffic is heaviest westbound during the morning and eastbound during the evening. if you work east of your residence, you tend to run into less traffic than if you worked west of your residence.

don't be depressed. you and your family seem to be hard working and accomplished people. no one should see him as any less. let haters be haters.

among the chinese in sgv, some hate more than others. i know because i am chinese. educated chinese who are second or third generation living in el monte, monrovia, or pasadena tend to be less racist. many first generation from china frequently found in arcadia and parts of san marino (south of huntington) may possibly be more racist.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 AM

26,587 posts, read 26,467,894 times
You might have better luck with parochial schools....most are very ethnically diverse, and you wouldn't have to worry about which city to live in. The tuition is much lower than that of traditional private schools.

I would imagine that there would be very few home rentals in cities like San Marino, Arcadia, La Canada, etc, where the public schools are ranked as high as they are. (And South Pas High School is overrated, although the elementary schools there are all right.)

Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
You have found two good neighborhoods in SGV. San Marino is another one. A little further west, La Canada and La Crescenta would also be two good areas to look. Real estate will go quick and prices are at a premium in these areas, due to the schools and neighborhood.
the drive from La Crescenta/La Canada to El Monte will be longer than 30 minutes, so I don' think that is going to work for them at all. BTW they are looking for a rental, not to buy, so how fast real estate goes isn't as big an issue as how fast rentals go. If the distance wasn't such as issue I would agree, both those areas are great family communities

CA4Now: my thoughts are similar to yours. I don't think the OP is going to have much trouble fitting in, whether it be Arcadia or any other of the communities except maybe San Marino, but the problem is going to be finding a really decent rental in the desirable districts. They may have to move into a long term residential hotel type for a few weeks and look after they get to So California. Good rentals are snatched up in a matter of hours.

Last edited by nmnita; 09-13-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmojames View Post
thanks everyone for your suggestions. i really appreciate it.
If you are thinking private schools I would suggest the east part of Altadena. I know you are saying you are looking for rentals, this will be your biggest problem in any good area, they will go almost before they even get on the market. As for convenience to El Monte and good schools, So. Pasadena and Arcadia will probably be your best bet. San Marino is wonderful, but I would be more inclined to stick with So. Pasadena or Arcadia, maybe even an area near the southern tip of Pasadena, near the Arcadia or San Marino border. Again, that might require private schools. Another thought, you are talking private schools because you want your child to have the best, have you checked the actual local elementary school ratings in some of the less desirable districts? Some times the district can have bad ratings, but the local school may not. You are not talking about a home you will be living in forever, you are talking a rental. If you can find a home with a good elementary school your little one will be challenged, while being exposed to various cultures. This would be Altadena, parts of Pasadena and Sierra Madre.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 3,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmojames View Post
My family and I are moving from the East Coast to the SGV. My husband is pursuing an acting career and I am a physician. We have two young children, one of whom is in Kindergarten. We initially thought we'd move to Arcadia due to the locale and the great public schools however we are having difficulty "getting our foot in the door." Real estate in general seems to go very quickly (I'm sure due to the great school ratings).

Due to my job I have to be within 30 minutes of the El Monte area and my husband will be commuting to Studio City/West Hollywood area so we are trying to find an area between those two places. We are now looking into South Pasadena but are finding the same issues in terms of quick rental turnover. Our basic requirements are at least a 2bd, 2ba rental with nicer finishes and parking. More importantly we are trying to find an area with good schools however where our child won't be the only Black child in his class. We'd like him to be in a racially diverse environment that will also challenge him academically. We are to the point where we will consider paying for private school (though I'd rather not) if it will provide the diversity and academics. Our thought right now is to rent for 2 years and then hopefully save up enough to buy in the South Pasadena area. Any thoughts on neighborhoods, private schools or charter schools in the SGV would be appreciated.
Metro LA is by and large segregated with some pockets of modest integration. If you want to follow the norm in Metro LA, then someone of your family's stature (educated middle to upper middle class African-American) then Altadena would be a good choice. Other options are Ladera Heights and Baldwin Hills. Among all options, you would need to go to private schools. Ladera and Baldwin are considered the mecca for successful African-Americans who would rather live among similar people. Also try Leimert Park. I think your children would not feel outnumbered in those areas. The commute from Ladera/Baldwin Hills to West Hollywood is rather easy. You would have to drive a little bit further but its not too bad for you either if you are not commuting during typical office rush hour times.

At one time these areas were the opposite of the SGV (majority African-American but large minority of Asian-Americans all due to protective covenants for areas east of the Harbor Freeway to keep non-whites out of the area).

This might give you an idea (no affiliation):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chicY4oZQ3s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles