Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I just don't understand why anybody would willingly want to live in Lancaster or Palmdale in the first place. And then to commute to LA? Makes absolutely no sense.
I agree. I would not do this. Even if I were one who wanted to get away from the big city, this is the last place I would choose to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yeah, I think so. Almost fell for it. I wrote a quite long rebuttal of HyperionGap's post, and after re-editing parts of it, I decided that someone who lives in Wisconsin doesn't merit a logical, reasoned response.
Yeah, because living in Wisconsin refutes everything I said about your precious city?

I used to be an LA County lifeguard for half a dozen years in the mid 2000's and had to drive out to Quartz Hill and Pear Blossom for swim meet(s) every summer. I got a pretty decent grasp of what the AV was like. In all honesty, I never met anyone who WILLINGLY chose to live in the AV that could afford to live elsewhere unless it was specifically for a job (Edwards AFB, Boeing, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It's not perfect out here, but there are a whole lot of worse places to live.
Sure, like Hesparia.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Sure, like Hesparia.
Or Trona.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:56 PM

how about Baker

Old 09-11-2013, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 27,729 times
Whoa whoa....

Relax......

This is not a troll thread. Yes, Jewish people are not welcome in Berkeley. I know because I had to go through a "Palestinian checkpoint" every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on my way to a Jewish Studies course that I was enrolled in. People with "Islamic Militant" attire held fake guns and told me that I was "stealing land from them". Keep in mind, this was not an Israel Studies course (Although I in fact am a proud Zionist) but Jewish Studies. I can speak for the majority of Jewish students from UC-Berkeley who feel that they are not welcome. A simple Google search will tell you the story. I openly boycott Berkeley just like many other Jews.

Sacramento has no Jewish presence. While it boasts a few synagogues and a few politicians who are Jewish, it is far from a Jewish friendly area.

San Francisco might have synagogues but out of all the major cities in America (LA, Miami, Chicago), it's Jewish community is the weakest and frankly, nonexistent. Despite what statistics might tell you. Maybe it exists behind closed doors but Jews in the city are not willing to go public with their religious beliefs. For whatever reason.

On the other hand, LA has a Jewish mayor and very public Jewish presence. Living in Lancaster/Palmdale would be like living in Israel with a short 70 mile trip to Tel Aviv (LA). No wonder 10% of the Lancaster area is Jewish.

Wouldn't you assume if I wanted to troll, I'd pick a better topic than "Moving from SF to Lancaster" to get peoples attention? Regardless, next time do your homework before you accuse someone of trolling.

Last edited by CaliGuy12; 09-11-2013 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 PM

My district supervisor is Jewish. And openly so. Just like his distant predecessor Harvey Milk. Not to mention former SF mayor Dianne Feinstein. And my partner, who is a fourth-generation Jewish San Franciscan.

Seriously, where do you come up with this nonsense?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
You can find, at the least, foreclosed condos and foreclosed older, small homes in places like the Santa Clarita Valley, western San Gabriel Valley (i.e.: Pasadena, Alhambra, Sierra Madre), or eastern Ventura County (i.e.: Thousand Oaks) and be much more comfortably positioned to the major SoCal job centers.

Hell, the same could be said for parts of Encino, Studio City, Porter Ranch, and Sherman Oaks, and those are in the San Fernando Valley IN the city of Los Angeles!

I haven't even gone on about the rent. More expensive deeper in L.A. and Ventura Counties than it is in the Antelope Valley, but think of how much you'd save in fuel, car insurance, auto maintenance, and most importantly in my mind, physical and mental stress.

I'd like to point out that SoCal has a less socially, societally, religiously, and especially political judgmental collection of vibes than the Bay Area. And I happen to like the Bay Area, but you do have to walk on pins and needles more up there. The only judgmental feeling I get living now in SoCal is one I got when I visited numerously, and that is one of appearing to be "wealthy" or "financially secure." You'll find this crap on the westside of L.A. and in south Orange County and scattered parts of Ventura County, namely to the tune of oversized sunglasses, completely fake hair, flashy SUVs or sedans, and the sleekest silk or satin fashion from [wherever-chicks-are-shopping-today] mall. Aside from that, SoCal is a massive metropolis and no one generally gives a crap what you do or who you are.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGuy12 View Post
Whoa whoa....
Living in Lancaster/Palmdale would be like living in Israel with a short 70 mile trip to Tel Aviv (LA). No wonder 10% of the Lancaster area is Jewish.
I think you are getting the wrong perception about the Antelope Valley. Lancaster is NOT to going be similar to living in Israel. Also, whoever gave you that figure that 10% of Lancaster is Jewish is wrong; it's closer to 1%. The majority of Lancaster comprises of white trash, hicks, and poor uneducated people that cannot afford to live closer in to LA.

Mayor R. Rex Parris, declares Lancaster as an up and coming "Christian community"

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed - This lists Lancaster at 1.1% Jewish. You can read all of the comments about Lancaster. They are basically going to repeat everything I have been saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGuy12 View Post
Yes, Jewish people are not welcome in Berkeley. I know because I had to go through a "Palestinian checkpoint" every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on my way to a Jewish Studies course that I was enrolled in. People with "Islamic Militant" attire held fake guns and told me that I was "stealing land from them".
Everybody knows that Berkeley has been full of liberal whackjobs for decades. That Islamic checkpoint ridiculousness has been been going on since 2004, did you expect it to somehow magically disappear when you started attending classes?

It sort of sounds like you are very uninformed, so I am trying my best to get my point across: Please do not move to the AV and commute to LA because it sounds like "living in Israel and being close to Tel Aviv".

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I think you are getting the wrong perception about the Antelope Valley. Lancaster is NOT to going be similar to living in Israel. Also, whoever gave you that figure that 10% of Lancaster is Jewish is wrong; it's closer to 1%.
Apparently City-Data doesn't break down religion numbers by city -- only by county. LA County as a whole is 10% Jewish. If you look at the religion numbers for Lancaster, or the City of LA or any other place in LA County, you can see that the numbers are "based on Los Angeles County data."

The City and County of San Francisco -- again, according to City-Data, just to compare apples to apples -- is 15.2% Jewish.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM

I'm not going to argue with those numbers, but that's not exactly a fair "apples to apples" comparison. The City of SF has the same geographic boundaries as the County of SF and has a whole whopping 825,000 people. Jews in LA are much more concentrated on the west side of the county and are therefore being diluted by just about everything east of downtown. I would be willing to bet that L.A. City has a higher percentage of Jews living in it than L.A. County. Whether it's more than S.F. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles