Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGuy12 View Post
...Living in Lancaster/Palmdale would be like living in Israel with a short 70 mile trip to Tel Aviv (LA). No wonder 10% of the Lancaster area is Jewish.
The only thing similar between the Antelope Valley and Israel is the climate and biosphere, (outside the urban areas).

I also agree that the 10% figure is suspect. If there were 35,000 Jews out here, they would have much more of a visible presence and certainly there would be more than one temple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I'm not going to argue with those numbers, but that's not exactly a fair "apples to apples" comparison. The City of SF has the same geographic boundaries as the County of SF and has a whole whopping 825,000 people. Jews in LA are much more concentrated on the west side of the county and are therefore being diluted by just about everything east of downtown. I would be willing to bet that L.A. City has a higher percentage of Jews living in it than L.A. County. Whether it's more than S.F. I don't know.
Yes, it's not easy to find reliable figures on religious representation. The Census Bureau doesn't (and isn't allowed to) ask those questions.

According to the North American Jewish Data Bank, via Wikipedia, the Jewish population in LA county is 5.3% of the total; in SF it's 8.2%. But there again we're comparing a relatively tiny county to a huge one.

The most heavily Jewish county in California is ultra-liberal Marin, at 10.3%. CA as a whole is 2.9% Jewish.

In terms of metro areas, LA is said to have 490,000 Jews; the Bay Area, 210,000. But without knowing how exactly the metro areas are defined, it's impossible to evaluate how those numbers translate into per-capita figures.

Last edited by pch1013; 09-12-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 01:48 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
The trolls musta invented some very powerful new bait. Some of y'all bit down HARD!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
The trolls musta invented some very powerful new bait. Some of y'all bit down HARD!
My mouth is still hurting several days later.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Yes, it's not easy to find reliable figures on religious representation. The Census Bureau doesn't (and isn't allowed to) ask those questions.

According to the North American Jewish Data Bank, via Wikipedia, the Jewish population in LA county is 5.3% of the total; in SF it's 8.2%. But there again we're comparing a relatively tiny county to a huge one.

The most heavily Jewish county in California is ultra-liberal Marin, at 10.3%. CA as a whole is 2.9% Jewish.

In terms of metro areas, LA is said to have 490,000 Jews; the Bay Area, 210,000. But without knowing how exactly the metro areas are defined, it's impossible to evaluate how those numbers translate into per-capita figures.
Yeah, from all those figures, it sounds to me like LA has more and SF has a higher concentration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I really don't think so. I'm guessing the OP is an ultra orthodox Jew that lives in a bubble.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 PM

116 posts, read 377,754 times
Default Lancaster has two Jewish Synagogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Also re: Jewish life in the Antelope Valley, apparently there is only 1 synagogue there.

(For purposes of comparison, Berkeley has five. Sacramento has three. San Francisco has at least 13.)
Actually Lancaster has two Jewish Synagogues, and a larger Jewish population than you would expect. There is the Chabad of the Antelope Valley and Beth Knesset Bamidbar. Compared to the populations in those other cities, two means that there are possibly a greater percentage of Jews in Lancaster than those other areas.

The majority of people are definitely Protestant and Catholic Christians. I am a white Christian, not Jewish, but I think it is a great place to live. Just stay on the Westside or the far east side; east of 30th St East. It is like any other growing city, there is a lot of good things going on, but there are real problems as well. A lot of people just focus on and exaggerate the bad things. There are lots of great community things to do out here as well.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 AM

116 posts, read 377,754 times
Default You seriously call Lancaster a black area?

Lancaster is 50% white, 30% Hispanic, and 17% black, and small percentages of others. Lancaster is by no means a black area. It is mixed, but still predominantly white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles