Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 AM

112 posts, read 184,561 times

Advertisements

I will be going to LA for the first time...staying in Hollywood. I only have 3 full days to tour around...what is the best "hop on hop off" tour to take? What are the best restaurants to go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 AM

43 posts, read 74,217 times
Last time we were in LA we did this one: City Sightseeing Hollywood Los Angeles, Hop On - Hop Off Bus Tours

There are three routes, you can hop on and off all the time. It's a great way to see the city and get your bearings.
It's not the star sights tour where you go round the hills and celeb houses are pointed out etc.
Definitely worth the price.

If you have a few days, make an effort to spend a few hours in Santa Monica, Venice and Downtown LA. If you can get to Malibu, that's great also!

Restaurant wise, I can recommend Nobu in Malibu and Boa Steakhouse in Santa Monica! Bring your credit card though! ;-)

Old 09-23-2013, 05:09 PM

27 posts, read 49,774 times
When I think "LA food experience" I think of more budget friendly options than high end restaurants. You can probably get a good expensive steak in a lot of big cities, but how about:

Eat at a taco truck at some point or buy a bacon wrapped hot dog from someone who cooks them over a shopping cart grill. They are often near bars in the evening.

I'd also recommend Grand Central Market in downtown LA as a fun experience with many food stall options. (pupusas are my favorite)

Try Ethiopian food from one of the restaurants on Fairfax

Get a french dip sandwich from Phillipe's or Cole's (both in downtown LA)

Wurstkursche (either downtown LA or Venice). Pie seems to be having a moment in LA (or recently had a moment?) and there is a yummy pie place right across the street from Wurstkursche.

Get ramen in Little Tokyo (Daikokuya is popular, but I prefer Mr. Ramen) - then you can walk around the corner and get mochi ice cream for dessert

If you have a car and get further out around town I'd also recommend chili at Earlez Grille (I like their veggie chili) or soul food at M&M's. Tito's Tacos in Culver City is a bit of a local classic and not too far from there Paco's is another favorite (fresh tortillas!). El Cholo is another good one for Mexican food - and they have a killer coconut margarita.

Oh man, I could on and on about food. If you tell me what you like to eat I can make a more specific recommendation.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM

7 posts, read 7,951 times
Great tips from everyone. Marina del Rey has a food truck thing every Thursday, which is great in case you're in Venice that day. Not too sure about the tours, but food wise, I'd do one proper restaurant and do quick bites otherwise.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 AM

112 posts, read 184,561 times
Thank you ...these are great suggestions..We will probably be staying in West Hollywood..any restos worthy to note around that area? Also friends of ours are taking us to Craigs...??

Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Before you book anything I'd take at the Groupon deals like this

Starline Tours Deal of the Day | Groupon Los Angeles

I see them coming up for those types of bus tours pretty often. Why pay full price if you don't have to.

For restaraunts , you might want to check out chowhound for threads like this
Favorite eating spots in and around West Hollywood - Los Angeles Area - Chowhound

Or even post on chowhound telling people kind of what you are looking for and should get several replies. Best restauraunts really depends on your taste. There are many restaurants in the west Hollywood area, with a variety of cuisines.

I'd also highly recommend yelp.com , if you don't already use that service.

I agree with illuminatedpast, lot's of good 'cheap eat' type places in L.A , I wouldn't really recommend steakhouses because you can find them in many cities like was mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles