Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 PM

129 posts, read 467,587 times

Advertisements

It looks amazing on televison, pics, postcards etc. But, is it really as nice as it looks?

It has a reputation for being a pretty-dangerous city ( not sure if that is true).

I'm just wondering how would you describe the city overall? how are the people, overall saftey, nightlife, etc?

Also how does L.A compare to other large cities such as Chicago, NY and San Fran?

I currently Live in Western NY and am contemplating a summer internship in LA. I would be living very close to the UCLA campus. Should I do the internship in LA ,or would I be better off doing it in a city like San Fran or Chicago?

Any Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 AM

175 posts, read 731,237 times
Get on a plane and go see LA yourself. Everyone has different perspectives of how they see it.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,626 times
Heck yeah you should do it, this may be a one time opportunity. I would visit Western NY and I'm a long time Angeleno. You would make a mistake if you didn't come.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingnjkbling View Post

I currently Live in Western NY and am contemplating a summer internship in LA. I would be living very close to the UCLA campus. Should I do the internship in LA ,or would I be better off doing it in a city like San Fran or Chicago?

Any Thoughts?
Have you crunched the numbers for living expenses? Do you know what you might expect to pay for rent? If your finances are sound then you will do fine. There is a lot of traffic but if you live near (your internship near) UCLA you won't need to travel far for day to day necessities. Lots to do for young people of course. You aren't far from the beach either.

It all depends on your finances. SF and Chic will be similiar as they are expensive too.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 AM

418 posts, read 1,734,451 times
Quote:
It looks amazing on televison, pics, postcards etc. But, is it really as nice as it looks?

It has a reputation for being a pretty-dangerous city ( not sure if that is true).

I'm just wondering how would you describe the city overall? how are the people, overall saftey, nightlife, etc?

Also how does L.A compare to other large cities such as Chicago, NY and San Fran?

Any Thoughts?
You're young, and the internship is temporary, so just do it. You'll be able to answer your question yourself.

Regarding crime: there was just a thread on here that talked about how SF has higher per capita crime than LA. And there are lots of other threads talking about areas to avoid. Bottom line: as with any big city including SF and Chicago, exercise some basic smarts and stay out of dangerous areas and you'll be fine.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:08 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
I would worry about costs more than crime and traffic. You'll want to live near where you work anyway, so if you can afford it, it will be an excellent opportunity. I would give SF serious consideration, too. You won't go wrong either way. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:12 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,359 times
Quote:
Yes. LA is a beautiful city and it has some amazing scenery. Especially on a clear, sunny day. It's gorgeous! However, it's a big place so there are good areas and bad, not so pretty areas too. So to expect the entire city to look like Brentwood, Westwood, and Beverly Hills would be very unrealistic.

Quote:
LA once was stastically one of the most dangerous cities (during the 90s). However, that is no longer the case. It is now statistically one of the safest big cities in America.

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Most dangerous*and safest cities - Top 25* - Oct. 30, 2006

FOXNews.com - The Most, Least Dangerous U.S. Cities - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Quote:

LA is awesome! However, just like with any place, your experience is what you make of it. It has everything NY, Chicago, and SF has and more in certain instances. You won't be lacking in things to do or see. In fact, you won't get to see and do everything because there is so much ground to cover. One of the major differences, however, is transportation. In the other three cities you can get by without a car. In LA, this is less possible, if not completely undesirable. People drive in LA, and prefer it that way for the most part. And it goes without saying, the climate in LA, especially during the winters and summers, is far more tolerable. In fact it's beyond tolerable, it's great by comparison to the other three cities.

Quote:

Any Thoughts?
Westwood, where UCLA is located, is one of the best parts of town. You would be more than fine there. And you would be close to other nice areas too like Century City, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Brentwood and Santa Monica.

What city you utlimately choose for your internship is really up to you and is a matter of your personal preference/curiosity. I am sure you will have plenty of opportunity to experience them all eventually in one way or anohter. So you really have nothing to lose whatever you decide (all things being equal). I don't know what kind of internship we're talking about. So I'm assuming it would be inconsequential which city you choose. However, if it's entertainment oriented, then I would say that you must come to LA.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:31 PM

274 posts, read 320,096 times

No and yes. There are certainly a few nice parts, but most of what you see is concentrated into a small, expensive areas of Los Angeles. Most of Los Angeles does not look like what you see on TV.

Like any large city, you are at a higher-risk of being a victim of crime. It's not too bad if you stay in the nicer parts of town.

Not everyone in L.A. is superficial. The superficial ones are transplants anyway. I found the people in LA to be nice.

Nightlife is ok in LA.

LA doesn't really compare to Chicago, NY or San Fransisco. Very different places. LA doesn't feel as exciting as..say NYC, it's a more laid-back city.

Whichever internship suits you. San Fran and Chicago are both nice places.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:10 PM

101 posts, read 329,735 times
I like LA a lot but the pictures aren't the most accurate descriptions of the city The city has its problems, its bad areas, its good areas just like any ol' city. It's sprawly, there are so many people wanting to go to different points at the exact same time, so traffic is always crazy. People tend to find other paths and routes to get where they want. There are all different kinds of people in LA. I don't see a significant number of cute blond valley girls; it's a very diverse city with mixed demographics, and UCLA attracts people from all over the place, so meeting people here is a good experience. But you can't possibly get bored here. I've always thought that people are either LA people or not. You may want to see for yourself. If you plan on a visit here make sure you get to see as much of the city as you can.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 PM

24 posts, read 130,792 times
You know what L.A. is like? High f***ing taxes, permit parking on the streets; meaning you will get ticketed parking in your own neighborhood if you don't have a yearly fee based permit, the people are like robots and ghosts, it is severly congested and chaotic and the education is just average nothing special and actually way behind many parts of the USA not to mention the mentality, transportation planning and city planning being light years behind as well. As city employees bank off of high salaries the city is going bankrupt and then you throw road rage and racism into the mix what do you have? A city that is a melting pot for disaster. Europe and Canada have better internships. Better yet New York, Colorado and many other states have better education. Oh and the postcards are BOGUS. The Los Angeles area including the beaches are so filthy and smelly and polluted. Not pretty and not clean. Oh and good luck on finding a date it is next to impossible to find someone who is normal and someone who doesn't want to just *********r brains out because they are emotionally unavailable. Last note the women are beautiful and extremely tall for the most part and the men average about 5'6. So don't believe anything you see on t.v. or on flyers. This is Los Angeles open gunfire year around. I've lived in Santa Monica for a year and there's been about 6 shootings and this is Santa Monica. If I were you I wouldn't settle for less. The Celebrities are screwed up(Britney Spears) but most of the regular people are just like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles